1. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Dawn Tides

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Mr Mr, Dec 21, 2012.

World: The story is set in the great blue, a world covered in 80% ocean with various islands. The world is low level steam punk (no planes or flying craft) with pistols and the odd steam machine but the legion is pushing its technology forwards at a dangerous rate. Sea monsters such as the kraken do exist but are common place for sailors. Special things know as 'loadstones' powered by animagi magic serve to keep the more dangerous creatures away from islands and floatilas. There are two poles and to the very east an west lie what locals call the storm front, no one has ever crossed it and returned.

Story: D leader of the Legion of Steel is intent on finding one of the more powerful animagi artefacts that allows control of the sea itself. With this power he intends to rule the Great blue in the name of the light. Opposing him is Solomon T, leader of the rebellion and current possesser of the Ziz artefact allowing him control over storms. He is rarely seen by low ranking rebels. D has forced any animagi to register wth the legion, in exchange for being left alone they must assist the legion when needed. D doesn't engage himself with others much, his orders are carried out by his right hand known as M. M is a powerful magma animagi and a force to be reckoned with.

Rules:

Do not control others characters!

GM's word is law!

No God modding!

Dialogue from other characters should be put in bold type!

Templates must be sent to the GM for approval BEFORE posting

Keep OOC in the discussion!

Try to write at least 50 - 100 words per post. If you're post is going to be small (e.g. and interaction) private message the other person and collaborate on one post.

Give another player a chance to dodge your attacks if you engage in pvp. On the other hand your character cannot dodge every attack, be reasonable (this applies for fighting non-player characters).

One character per person to start

Most of all have fun!

Character
    Name:

Appearance (picture is acceptable):

Personality:

Inventory:

Class (see below):

Element:

Skills (includes spells):

Allegiance:

Miscellaneous info:

Classes/Magic
    Non magic classes are open to do with as you wish (within reason). Magic classes have some limitations.
    Magic users are known as animagi. Through use of a trinket, normally a piece of jewelery, they are able to turn into an animal. Animagi have three levels of transformation:
    1) Animal transformation - Turn into their animal form. In this form they unable to use magic but have animal specific abilities.
    2) Partial transformation - Turn half way into their animal. Allows weak magic and some animal abilities.
    3) Elemental transformation - Turn into their animal form made of their element (such as a fire bird).
    Animagi are also able to manipulte the element their trinket belongs to.
    The most common elements are:
    Earth - Most land animals. Known for their strength and stamina and repairing ships. Most can traverse water using wood or rocks.
    Wind - Most Birds. Known for being agile and fast. Most can either run on water or fly.
    Water - Most sea animals. Known for their affinity for healing. Able to travel in and under the water.
    Fire - A mixture of land and sky creatures (there has yet to be a fire fish ). Favoured by the legion for their destructive abilities. They come as a double edged sword, with most craft being wooden their attacks are the most damaging. However they becom near useless in rain or when submerged.
    There are also less common elements such as sand, lightning, ice, metal and other sub-elements.
    Note: You can have an animal with a different element such as and earth bird although this isn't common.
    I don't want too many animagi, so its first come first served. There will be oppertunities to become one later one however. No animagi will be above rank 1.

Allegiance
    Your character may be either
    Legion - You will start in the iron city (optional for animagi)
    Rebel - You will start in either Browndocks or little rock
    No allegiance - You will start in little rock

If your character is animagi they will either have alliegence to the legion or be hiding their ability.

Notable locations:
    Little Rock - A neutral island town to the east. Know for its library and farms. A favourite of rogue animagi as the town dislike legionaires and do as little to assist them as possible. 200 people living there permenantly but can hold 400.

Iron city - One of the large islands to the north acting as the Legion of Steel headquaters. Its size has been increased with large flotillas being attached. Centre for the millitary power. Contains factories and academies. The academies hold about 1200 people each, about 400 non-legion people live in the shops and taverns.

Browndocks - Named so due to the wood its made from. A centralised flotilla that acts as the trade centre. Has it's own guards that remain completely neutral, D has tried to change this but the legion needs the trade access so he is forced to put up with it. 300 permanent residents, can hold 600-700.

Rebel base - Solomon's base. The Legion have so far been unable to find it, with only his highest ranking members knowing how to access it. It's unknown how large it is or how many people it holds.

Setup

The legion is currently making a push for the rebels meaning they are using whatever resources are availble. Legion characters will be given orders once we've started. Non-legion characters will be looking for work or adventure and have found their way to one of the two locations mentioned above. Rebel characters have heard no orders for a while and are looking for work aswell.

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Approved.

3. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Mimi: Rocky Shore

A slick dark head appeared above the waves. The tide was ebbing slightly. Other than the fish and a few, scattered sea birds there was no sign of life. Her black button eyes were cautious and watchful as she rode the lapping waves in to shore. Still nothing stirred. Her webbed paws scrabbled to catch the hold of the tide smoothed stones. A turn squawked, startled by the slim, low slung predator. The large otter ignored the bird and made her way up the beach, her progress impeded by a waterproofed rucsac and sword sheath harnessed to her back.

Again, she looked up and down the shoreline, making sure she had not been observed. Rolling back on her haunches, she pulled the knot securing the harness loose and wriggled free of the soaked leather. Seizing the shoulder strap in her teeth, she hauled her cumbersome load to a sheltered grouping of rocks and promptly disappeared from view.

A moment later a small, slim figure emerged wringing water from her heavy curtain of dark hair. "Blasted salt water," she muttered. "It is going to be absolutely unmanageable now." Retrieving her sac from the stony hollow, she removed the air bladders, and carefully unwound the twine sealing in the air. The animal bladders deflated with a sigh. Shoving the bladders and harness back into the depths of the bag, she pushed to her feet and looked about.

Her ebony eyes lighted on a faint trail through the scrub about fifty yards up the shore. The wind was picking up as evening crept in. Mimi shivered as the breeze raised goosebumps along her bare arms. Delving into the bag once more, she pulled out her cloak, boots, hand warmers, and belt. Her breeches, underpinnings, and blouse had been donned in the privacy of the little stone hollow.

Her fingers closed reflexively about a small silver locket, her sole piece of jewelry. The sea whispered to her through the finely etched metal as she secured the trinket about her neck. Still nothing stirred as she shoved her feet into her boots, pulled on her warmers, and fastened her cloak. Securing her sword and buckle beneath the flirting edge of her top, she breathed a sigh of relief.

She made it. Grinning she turned her steps toward the path, wondering what she would find at its end.

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

"I want 1500 gold pieces and 10%, not a coin less." Joel said.

"I'll give you 1200 and no percentage. This is a transport job not salvaging." The other man replied.

"1500."

"1200."

"1500." He could see the man was getting annoyed by now. Joel had to be careful. He wanted him annoyed enough to give in but not so annoyed that he would take his business elsewhere. Joel was about to drop his offer when the man relented.

"Ok look. The journey is about 5 days there and back, if the the weather kicks up it'll take 7. I'll give you 1200 if you do it in 7 and an extra 100 for every day under 7 you save. How does that sound?"

Joel smiled. It had worked. They shook hands as they stood.

"You've got yourself a deal. I'll depart in a day."

The man nodded as Joel held the door for him.

"Oh and take some guard, I've heard there are pirates and some more malicious legion ships down that way."

The man walked away before Joel could get another word in. It had been sneaky to avoid mentioning possible trouble until after they shook. He had a crew but not enough people to guard from a possible legion attack. They were worse than pirates these days and the higher ups turned a blind eye as long as they didn't mess operations up. Joel headed to a draw in the back room and pulled a piece of parchment out before scribbling an ad. The ad was pinned outside by the dock for all to see, hopefully someone would reply by tomorrow.

Fighter wanted
    Experienced fighter wanted
    for transport job.
    Terms negotiable, within reason.

5. SocksFox

Mimi: Wind of Fate

Mimi knew she had reached the edges of civilization when she heard the familiar haggle and banter rising from the docks. Fate was pointing the way, and never one backward to the whims of the world, she followed the call. Her boots crunched over the rough trail as it veered down, twisting to the right. Although she had just made land fall, the more distance she put between her family and herself the better, which also meant the fewer people who also saw her the better. For some strange reason, people had a hard time forgetting her.

Her musings occupied her thoughts until the docks spread out before her like a patchwork quilt of various crafts and precarious floating platforms. It was haphazard, half-wild, and willful. To Mimi, who had been stifled and cloistered her entire life, it looked wonderful. A smile of pure joy stretched from ear to ear, transforming her odd little face into a work of art.

Careful to keep her footing on the steep path, Mimi scuttled down the hillside, completely bypassing the main potions of the settlement proper. A notice freshly penned and pinned caught her eye.

Fighter wanted
    Experienced fighter wanted
    for transport job.
    Terms negotiable, within reason.​

It took her a moment to decipher the untidy scrawl. "It could be a sign hawking stewed herring, and one wouldn't be able to tell the difference." she muttered to herself.

Unpinning the notice she crossed the gang plank and approached the man on the deck. "It looks like you could use a hand, starting with your sign. Who penned it, your pet seal?"

6. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

"It looks like you could use a hand, starting with your sign. Who penned it, your pet seal?" Came from somewhere behind Joel's elbow. He turned and upon seeing nothing looked down at a small girl. She didn't look like someone who he would take orders from.

"I'll have you know I penned it myself," He said indignantly. "Now what do you want?"

"A job." She said. "I'll redo your sign as part of the bargain. You want help, they have to be able to understand the notice. Don't want anyone thinking you're trying to hawk spare moose parts, do you?"

"You need someone handy with their fives, and I need a ride." Mimi continued, matter of factly, ignoring the look of annoyance on the man's face. "Don't judge a book by its cover. I know how to hold my own when the going gets rough. Have we got a deal?"

"Hmm. I'll let you repen my sign thats for sure, I'll give you a coin for that. As for the fighter position, why don't you come inside and explain why I should take you on?" He said motioning to the captains cabin.

She followed him into the cabin, careful to note the way back to the gangplank should things suddenly go awry. Rounding the desk, she settled into the chair, reaching for a pen, ink well, and fresh parchment. Like a magpie, she chattered as she worked. "You almost didn't notice me until I insulted your sign."

She grinned at the memory. "In this world where everything needs to be bigger, better, and louder, my size, or lack there of, gives me an edge. They don't notice me until it's too late."

The girl grew serious as she sanded the parchment and held it out. "It is not always about how hard or fast you strike. It is about where and how. Although it might not look like it, I was well taught. Sword, dagger, fives, and feet. The legions are not among my favorite groups of people, so you will have no reason to doubt my loyalty or claims. I wouldn't have made it this far without my skills."

"Your size does help hide any threat." Joel chuckled. "You hating the Legion is good to know but I can't have you causing trouble. I'll tell you what, I'll take you on for 20 pieces a day. If you prove to be useful I'll double it. Sound fair? Oh and one for the sign."

"Fair enough." She agreed and smiled. "Now that the terms are settled, shouldn't I know who I'm working for?"

"Joel Mullard or Captain to you. What's your name?" He said reaching a hand across the tale to shake. She shook back.

"Mimi Emiliei deClarion."

"Well we depart tomorrow, I'll let you get aquainted with the ship and you can sleep in the room below."

7. ZarisRedmist

ZarisRedmist New Member

Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, United States
    Cage Lupum

"And here I thought it would take me longer to master my powers, and return to this city..." Cage said with an undertone of cold disgust for the last time he was here he murdered his father in cold blood and his master sent him away to face the world on his own until he had enough control over himself so something like this wouldn't take place again. He walked to his old master's home and knocked on the door with one loud bang and awaited his master's response.

He was greeted by an old frail sounding voice. "En-Enter, my young one..." Cage was shocked his master knew who he was though should he really be surprised his master was wise and powerful as any he had seen before, he opened the door and fell his knee and bowed his head to his master.

"I have returned my master; I have mastered my mind, body, and power." He raised his head and gazed upon his master who was brewing tea for the two of them as was his practice for all the years he has known his master.

His master gazed upon him and smiled. "You have grown as well my young one, though it may not be appropriate now to call you mine or young one. You have indeed become more powerful than any pupil I have taught before and I am sure that in your six year excursion you have learned more about yourself than you could have ever imagined." He began to walk toward Cage and no sooner did he take one step the tea kettle began to whistle. "Oh, would you look at that the tea is ready."

"That I have my master. All thanks to your teachings." It was now that Cage stood and joined his master at the table and had his first cup of tea brewed by his master in six long years. It was with that first sip of tea he understood why he longed to return back home to Iron City, even though the accident had left him fatherless he still had a father waiting for him to return in his master.

"Now, though as I am sure you are aware you still have to more to learn about your powers you are stripped of your title as apprentice and now I promote you to the rank of Animagi. There will be many times you will have your powers tested, and you shall face those even more powerful than I..." The old man began to cough as he stood and Cage began to stand with a urgent look in his white eyes, the master raised his hand and Cage stopped in his tracks. "As you know I was once a warrior for the Legion and now I must ask the same of you. This is my final request for I do not have much longer in this world, even now I hear the heavens calling me to join them. I need you to go to the Iron City docks and look for someone named 'M'. Cage Lupum stand!"

Cage stood and bowed to his master. Who placed his trembling hand on Cage's head. "You are now a warrior of the Legion honor this title for it is the last gift I can bestow on you. Now take your leave and find 'M' and remember that many challenges await you."

"Thank you, my master I shall hold this title with honor, and I shall serve the Legion to the best of my abilities; and I shall make you proud to call me your pupil." Cage stood from his bow and began to walk towards the door just as he rested his hand on the handle he heard his master speak once more.

"My son I have always been proud of you never forget that, be safe on your future journey and the journeys after that." The old man began to sit and sip on his tea once more and that was Cage's signal to go his master had nothing left to say.

"I shall my master." He respectfully closed the door behind him and began to walk towards the docks as his master instructed. Cage was both excited and cautious about his future on one hand he was finally promoted to a rank above however he was now a warrior a weapon and his master said he would face opponents stronger than him. He was unsure whether to be excited about the challenge or fearful.

Either way I must be ready for the challenge ahead or master wouldn't have chosen me to carry his title of Legion warrior. The only question now is who is 'M' and what kinds of challenges will he have in store for me?

8. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

M

The air was crisp in the early morning. M breathed it in deeply. It was a good day for sailing. He stood by the dock as workers rushed about and people moved around him. At 7"3 he was tall even he wasn't transformed. It didn't take much for him to be threatening. Occaisionally someone would timidly approach him for information or he would bark out some orders. It was a pity the latest job didn't require someone as high up as him, the Iron city got boring after a while. He wanted some action, some combat, something to give his powers work out. M could barely remember the last time he had fought someone as an equal. The only notable fights that came to mind were Solomon, Edward and possibly Robyn. That had been real combat, not like the low level rebel welps he had fought last time. Even the animagi they had had with them had been a pushover. Mind you, the last few animagi he had seen among the Legion hadn't been that much stronger.

Why had the rebels been so inactive lately? They must be planning something. None of the generals had been seen for a month at least, Solomon for longer and Edward for longer still. M was still wondering when a soldier approached him muttering about a new animagi arriving. M was so deep in thought he even thanked him. He stirred from his thought as he saw the the new animagi approaching. He was tall and well built, things M liked in a soldier even if he was on the pale side. As he walked M could see the moisture nearby freezing, soldiers shivering slightly. He chuckled, if he was used to the cold he was going to be uncomfortable in M's presence. He caught his gaze as he neared, calling him over without saying a word. The air dampened as their auras met, M's winning out and Cage's ice being overpowered.

"You must be the ice pup I've been told about. What's your name?"

"Cage Lupum captain." He said. M nodded.

"Ok. A few things to note as you're new. One - my word is law. Two - you do not call me captain, I am not a captain. You call me lord, leige or whatever variation you like. Three - Work hard and do as you're told and you'll be rewarded. Understood?"

Cage nodded silently.

"Good report to ship number 4 and ask for Captain Benn. For the duration of the voyage him and his first mate are the only people who outrank you. Now get going."

M watched as he headed off. He would have to keep an eye on him.

9. ZarisRedmist

ZarisRedmist New Member

Cage Lupum

Cage walked along the docks in the direction that M pointed him towards, blue cloak bellowing behind him hands resting on the pommels of his blades. He walked with confidence figuring it was the safest way to avoid a confrontation with the soldiers bustling around the docks.

“Ice Pup, huh?” M obviously had no respect for him yet but that would soon change though the mixing of auras left him considering his chances with an opponent such as M. He could tell by the way the ice had melted as soon as he was close enough to M, he uses fire.

Cage smirked and chuckled coldly, “Well at least his element suits his heated personality. Still to be handed a position of power as that only a captain and first mate outrank me will be a good chance to prove my worth to the Legion.” He was clearly still unsettled by the ice pup comment and too deep in thought to focus on his guard and he felt a slight tug on his cloak. In a flash he fell to his knee as he spun around and drew one of his razor sharp blades and held on to the shoulder of his potential attacker so there was no escape. Blade pressed against the probable attacker’s throat Cage lifted his head to find that he was holding onto the shoulder of a terrified young boy dressed in rags. Cage took a deep breath and returned the blade to its sheath as his hand remained on the boy’s shoulder and he pulled out come coin and placed it in the boy’s hand.

“You would do well to learn not to sneak up behind someone, Boy.” Cage stood, and looked down on the boy with a smirk and hissed. “Next, time you may find that head away from your shoulders.” The boy stood there and stared at the man who almost took his life and was both terrified and awestruck. He nodded and ran back to where he came from and left Cage back to his own thoughts. At last he arrived at the docks for ship number 4, now to find this Captain Brenn M spoke of.

10. SocksFox

Mimi: Waves

Mimi ducked through the door Joel indicated. "Room and board. Not bad for a whim." She looked around the small, serviceable berth. The sheets were clean and the blankets warm. A small table was affixed to the wall beneath a little port hole with a chair tucked neatly into the compact space. It wasn't anything like home, but it was clean, warm and far away from her family.

Quickly stashing her belongs in the numerous built-in drawers, Mimi made herself comfortable before heading back out to the deck. Picking up an ivory comb, she drug the fine teeth through her dense, heavy hair. Salt rained down like sand. A few more minutes of work saw her locks free of sea water and tangles. The dark mass flowed down her back in a silken wave.

"Much better," She sighed, as she pushed to her feet. Leaving her sword belted on, she tucked her dagger in the small of her back and headed for the deck.

A brisk wind presaged clear weather for the morrow. A good sign. The sea was alive with anticipation. Something was building, just beyond the horizon. The water never lied, somehow it always knew. And Mimi knew to listen to the sea.

She wiled away the remainder of the afternoon flitting from one end of the ship to the other, poking her nose into all corners of the ship. She knew without a doubt she was right where she was meant to be.

11. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Joel
    The sun wasn't high in the sky and Joel was already up. As he always did early morning before the rest of the crew got up he walked off the ship and down to the bakers. It had become almost a sort of ritual for him to get pastries and cakes before a voyage. Todays selection were mostly jam based with a few nutty ones for variety. He pain the lass behind the counter, tipping her a silver piece as she smiled her thanks. By the time he returne to the ship the rest of his crew were up and going about their pre-cast of duties.

He whistled as he boarded, signaling for them to stop and come eat. Mimi didn't appear to be anywhere to be seen. Joel decided to leave her, he needed to know how long she would sleep of her own accord, but put aside some food for her. His boat didn't need a large crew to be sailed so doing a head count before they left wasn't very hard.

"Sam - check, reilen - check, peters - where the hell is peters?" He said. His shout was answered by a call from above.

"I'm on crowsnest cap'n remember."

"Right ho, carry on then." Joel said finishing his count. "I think that's everyone, except Mimi whos asleep, so we can go."

"I'll wake Mimi up." One of the crew called to whistles and cheers. Joel stifled a laugh. He really should have found out her age before taking her on. Although he doubted the crew would try anything on someone hired as a fighter. Food done Joel took his place at the helm and called for the ropes to be undone and the sails to be released. There was a splash as the ship heaved away from port and out into the great blue.

Benn
    Cage found Benn standing at the end of the gangplank to ship number 4. From what he could read on the side it was called 'Puncher', it seemed like an odd name. Benn was an average looking man. The only things that made him stand out where the belts across his chest, the rifle on his back and a pair of goggles on his head. To anyone who didn't know him he looked more like an engineer than a captain. But his average looks hid deadly skill and even deadlier intelligence.

He met Cage's almost underwhelmed look with a hand shake and a chuckle. He was used to people being surprised at his un-captain like look. A few days at sea or some combat would change that.

"I'm captain Benn. I'm guessing M didn't tell you anything about what we're doing?"

Cage nodded.

"He has a habit of doing that. I'll fill you in as we look around. One tip for M, he respects power above just about all else. Hell he shows some of the Rebel generals more respect than the Legion soldiers. The fact you're animagi probably bumped you up a few notches though." He said heading onto the ship Cage in tow. They headed into a room below the captain's quaters.

"This is where you'll be sleeping." They headed down through the ship, Benn outlining the mission as they went.

"We've been told of a trade going down on an island near Little Rock. Theres a chance the cargo are supplies that were previously stolen from us. Our job is to find out if they are our supplies."

"And if they are?"

"We follow the transporter back to Little Rock and apprehend the original owner. We also have to check up on a floatilla for signs of Rebels, I think that's the reason for you accompanying us."

By this point they were back on deck and the ship was starting to leave.

"Any other questions?"

12. SocksFox

Mimi: Whispers

Mimi slipped out of bed and into her clothes as quickly as possible in an attempt to thwart the morning's chilly bite. Casting a quick glance out the little porthole she saw the rich amber glow of early morning. The rigging hummed and sang in the nippy wind on the deck overhead.

"I'll wake Mimi up."

She heard the cheers and whistles as she donned her cloak, taking care to draw up the deep, cowled hood. Reaching for the door, she called out. "No need. I'm ambulatory, but in urgent need of food." Her stomach rumbled in conformation.

Spotting a neatly covered plate, she grinned. These fellows might be a little rough, but they had manners where it counted. She selected two pastries filled with a deep red jam, which turned out to be wild strawberry, one of her favorites. Settling on a barrel she drew her drew her feet up beneath her and pretzeled neatly within the confines of her cloak to enjoy a few minutes of the morning's glory.

The wind tugged at her hood, teasing a couple of long curls free. Yet the waves were restless, not playful like the breeze. They murmured and shifted. 'Coming...coming...coming...heart of rust...'. Mimi shivered and tried to ignore the voice. The locket at her throat warmed. There was no way the could have found her.

In reply to her unspoken question, the sea mist hummed. 'Searching...truth known...'

"Damn." She swore softly to herself.

13. ZarisRedmist

ZarisRedmist New Member

Cage Lupum

“Any other questions?” Cage had dozens but figured it would be safer to limit his questions for now. Something seemed off about the Captain he carried the title but didn't fit the description. Cage had always assumed Captains were supposed to be strong men that if anyone so much as sneered in their direction they took it as a challenge. It wasn't so with Benn he was laid back, average looking and treated Cage as an equal as soon as he stepped aboard the ship. Cage tried to get a look at the Captains weaponry he carried but could only make out a single knife he carried with him, Cage could only surmise that the captain carried the rest of his arsenal in his quarters.

“I have three if you don’t mind answering Captain…” The captain acknowledged with a slight nod. “If M only acknowledges power why doesn't he test the people in his command? Why hand me a new Animagi to the ranks of the legion such a position as this where only you and the first mate outrank me? Also am I to assume that if we encounter rebels on Little Rock that I am to be the attack ‘dog’ so to speak?”

Cage was now starting to piece together the real reason he was here. He was an insurance policy against any unforeseen turbulence in the waters ahead which he was sure that was M's original intention. Maybe he would have a chance to have his first impressions proved wrong by the Captain, if such turbulence was encountered. He met the Captain’s gaze awaiting his response…

14. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Joel
    It was the third day of the voyage. Aside from a minor spot of rain the weather had been near perfect, they were 3 days ahead of the expected time. Mimi had spent the first few days getting to know the ship and it's occupants. She had been a tad worried about them at first but they all behaved - aside from the odd joke - and didn't try anything.

Mimi and Joel were sitting behind the helm taking in the nice weather. With the wind straight behind them Joel didn't have much to do steering wise. Even the crew were able to rest easy, sitting about playing various games and gambling. Joel was recounting one of his various exploits to Mimi.

"So I swing across and land right on this short fella, before he can recover I've shot him." Joel said.

Bump. Joel paused at the noise before continuing.

"Then I get up and theres two more facing me down so I draw me knives-"

Bump. Joel stopped again, slightly irritated this time.

"-And start swinging. Dueling one of the with me left, the other with the right. They start pushing me back so I move between 'em and let their blades collide-"

Bump. Joel got up this time, he didn't appreciate people interupting his stories.

"Who is making that noise?" He bellowed over the rail. His crew all looked back in surprise. None of them had anything that could be making the noise. He was about to sit down when he noticed a piece of wood in the water. More floated by as he watched. It was almost like a broken...

"boat." He said looking about for the lookout. "That's a boat. Who's meant to be in the crows nest?"

A sailor raised his hand and scampered up the mast. He called down a few seconds later.

"Wreck ho. Captain there's a man in the water."

The crew rushed to the side with poles and a net hauling a silver haired man from the water. He seemed to be partially conscious.

Silvers?

The man coughed as they lay him on deck. Joel knelt next to him, it was Silvers. Why was he in the water with a smashed ship? No fire meant it was unlikely to be Legion and Rebels wouldn't dare do this. That left only one thing. Joel stood pulling his knifes.

"Battle stations everyone." He roared as Mimi came down.

"What's wrong are we about to be attacked?"

Her question was answered by something bumping the bottom of the boat and tentacles rearing up over the sides of the boat. The hung in the air, suckers almost gleeming.

"Kraken!" He yelled as the tentacles pounced.

Benn
    “I have three if you don’t mind answering Captain…” Benn gave a slight nod. “If M only acknowledges power why doesn't he test the people in his command? Why hand me a new Animagi to the ranks of the legion in such a position as this where only you and the first mate outrank me? Also am I to assume that if we encounter rebels on Little Rock that I am to be the attack ‘dog’ so to speak?”

Benn chuckled.

"For the first one - he does test the people in his command, this is your test. As for the second - Animagi are always higher ranking as telling them to take orders from anyone lower than Captain or first mate would be disrespectful or futile as they'd ignore them. Finally - We're not going to little rock we're going to a floatilla, but yes you will be an attack dog. Unless a wipe is called in which case we just stop anyone from leaving."

The ship was well underway by now and Benn lead Cage to his quaters.

"I'd settle down, we have a few days travel a head of us."

15. ZarisRedmist

ZarisRedmist New Member

Cage Lupum

"I'd settle down, we have a few days travel a head of us."

“Very well Captain, thank you for answering my questions, I will retire for now it has been a long day and I need to conserve my strength as the attack dog’s bite needs to be much worse than its bark. If you need me you will know where to find me.” Cage bowed his head slightly in respect of the Captain and shut the door behind him.

Cage looked around his room and was shocked by how lavish it seemed. Then again he used to only barely be able to afford a cheap room in an even cheaper hotel often upon seeing the room he had rented for the night he would opt to sleep outside. At least there he could see the bugs and animals around him.

He rested his swords on the desk in the room and attempted to light a candle though he had some difficulty lighting it, still having trouble he opened his door and peered outside in the darkness and spotted a crew member walking past. “Hey, you there, sailor, can you come assist me for a second?”

The sailor ran over to him as fast as his legs would carry him. He stood at attention and saluted Cage, which seemed fairly odd. Cage wasn’t used to getting such respect in this matter. He knew that he had gotten some fearful looks from the crew when he stepped on the ship, but he didn’t know they were this scared of him. “Deckhand Williams, reporting as ordered sir!”

“At ease, Williams. There is no need to be that formal with me unless you get on my bad side then you may have a whole different problem entirely, understood?” The sailor relaxed and nodded in acknowledgment. “Good, now I would like to ask your assistance. There is a bloody candle in my quarters that will not light; do you think you could possibly light it for me?”

“Aye, it will be done sir.”

“Thank you, once you get it lit return to your post and if anyone tries to get you in trouble for being gone you tell them that you were assisting the Animagi Cage Lupum, which should keep you out of trouble. If they still have a problem with that then tell them that they can come speak to me personally.” Cage watched as the sailor lit the candle and then scurried back up to the top deck and smirked. Once again closing the door behind him and picked up his swords from the desk and approached his cot. Cage decided it was time for him to lie down and rest. He laid there with his swords resting on his chest as was what he was accustomed to being alone for the past six years he had to be prepared for an attack at any time even while he was resting, the scars on his body could attest to that on their own. He lay there staring at the ceiling allowing the rocking motion of the ship send him off into sleep.

16. SocksFox

Mimi: Water World

Mimi shucked boots, handwarmers, and cloak, leaving her free of impediment as she undid her locket. Releasing the catch, she opened it, wedging it into the ornate molding around the hilt of her etched dagger. Raised, filament thin rune lines carved into each of her palms began to glow. A waxing crescent moon on each hand, entwined within a delicate knot work of waves.

Dagger in hand, she darted after a tentacle, bringing her blade to bear. She plunged her senses into the power of her fluid element. 'Narwhaleous Hail!' She yelled, bring her blade down with savage strength. As she did so, half a dozen javelin sized ice spires exploded out of the water, boring deep into the tentacles of the kraken. Blood gushed, the tentacle twitched, heaving back, but Mimi held on and pulled her blade free.

She brought the blade down again, digging in and twisting hard. Once more the icy shards followed her motions. The kraken heaved, tossing Mimi high, somersaulting, she caught her bearings and landed on the deck with a muffled thump. Bare feet silent and swift as a cat's she headed for the aft rail and blew out a hard breath at the seething waves below. A small platform of ice, no more than two feet in diameter, formed and adhered to the hull just above the water line.

At her back the battle raged on, gunfire and smoke filled the air, blood lay thick upon the deck. This ship was not going down without a fight. Swords sang as the bit into flesh again and again. Mimi swallowed hard, took her dagger between her teeth and dove over the edge. The icy water hit her like a hammer, but she swallowed a gasp and held onto her blade.

Effortlessly she shifted, morphing from girl to otter in one fluid twist. Blurred images of a massive squid flickered across her senses, scryed by the metal of her dagger. Diving deeper in a slender column of bubbles, she came up underneath the beast that held the ship captive. There was one point she, as a predator, knew to go after first. The eye.

Spiraling round the circumference of the monster's head, she finally found a massive cauldron sized eye. Her teeth and claws would do little good so she shifted once more as she charged at the eye. It was a slow motion ballet, as Mimi rode the momentum of her swim, put her dagger in her hand and aimed. The power of the churning water did the rest. She hit the eye, square on, her dagger plunging deep. Grabbing the hilt with both hands she twisted hard and pulled the knife free.

Lungs screaming and muscles beginning to ache with cold, Mimi clamped her teeth about her weapon and shifted again, high tailing it for the surface.

17. Sven Berthold

Sven Berthold New Member

Rufus

He breathed in the salty air, the whole dock smelled of fish and people, a rather unpleasant scent any could agree. Few people turned to stare at the red haired queer man, today rid of his attention catching lively garments and long hair tied in a knot. Truly, it would be a shame to be recognized by one of his former watchers, simple and normal people he paid some coins to keep watch on unusual movement, or even become the aim of some Legion’s or Rebel fighter’s suspicion.

Hands tucked in deep pockets of his normal brown trousers, a bit worn by time, he crossed the dock staring distractively at the huge ships that came to unload, crew men walking up and down the aisles carrying sacks and wooden boxes of products, everything so lively. Nothing seemed abnormal; at least that was how things should be to the less attentive eye. With a quick movement of his left hand the auburn male fetched the small leather covered notebook of yellow pages, his one loyal companion, opening in the last written page he checked the details, some interesting info had leaked from the Legion and he wished to check it out, amongst other things.

“Unknown animagi has been sighted.” The note rather unclear and no detail had been given, Rufus regretted having had to pay quite the high price for it, at least he had made sure no other information dealers got their tricky hands on it. Quick steps crossed the piers leaving the screeching sounds of birds and chattering behind, the ordering shouts of many a ship’s captains now seemed a far away rumor disguised by the wind and the humming of the sea. One would wonder what could be found in a place such as this, Rufus’ source had recommended the place, however, and he was keen on acquiring some new material.

It had been more than a week since he had closed his last deal, and at such a small price as well, had it not been for the importance of knowing the veracity of this animagi he would have never risked being close to the Legion or the Rebels.

18. SocksFox

Mimi: Overboard

Hauling up onto the small fixed platform of ice, Mimi shifted back into her mortal form. Her dagger had drunk deeply from the kraken, the mirror inlaid in her locket giving her the target beneath the surface. Through the scrye link, she summoned her weaves again. "Narwhaleous chargon, set to.." A general marshaling a flailing force through the boiling currents, she shifted and whirled, directing her newly reforged ice spires toward the damaged eye of the monster.

The ice beneath her feet, bit deep, keeping her mind sharp and focused amid the chaos. Spire after spire, she sent plunging into the beast's eye. A filthy cloud of polluted water coiled up from the depths, blood from the desecrated eye. They were running out of time.

19. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Benn and Joel
    They had arrived at the island earlier than Benn had expected. It appeared deserted. He instructed the crew to sail round the back of the island, out of sight from anyone approaching from Little Rock, before rafting ashore with cage and a few other crew members. Ashore Benn lead them to a small patch of forrest and settled down waiting.

Cannons roared and people shouted as they fought of the kraken. Somewhere in the chaos Mimi had dissapeared. He fought on slicing. Then the boat shook, the krakens tentacles receeding. There was a splash as it dived leaving only a cloud of blood. The crew cheered as Joel returned to Silvers and sat down panting. Silvers chuckled.

"Not as young as you used to be eh?"

"Oh shut up Silvers, at least people know my age, I'm not sure even Edward knows your age." He said. As much as he would have liked to exchange pleasentries they didn't have the time. "Do you know why a kraken is this close to Little Rock? It was young one so mabye it was lost. You weren't hunting it were you?"

"Me hunting kraken of course not. Don't be so barbaric. It may be a loadstone issue though. We need to warn others about this lane being a danger."

"Very well but after I've picked up my cargo," He silence Silvers before he could protest. "We're a day out so I'm not turning back now."

He left Silvers to meet Mimi as she came aboard. She looked tired but considering she had just fought off a kraken no worse for wear. Joel dumped a towel in her hand.

"Dry off and have a rest. And at some point you and me are going to have a talk about your being an animagi."

When Mimi and Silvers woke the next morning they had reached the island. Joel had already got a raft ready and was waiting for her so they could go ashore. The reached the beach, Mimi wondering where the cargo was. Joel didn't bother explaining, he headed to a small rock and pulled on an unseen handle. It opened up to reveal a bunker like structure filled with crates. Froming the crew into a chain they started passing crates out and onto the beach.

From the bushes Benn cursed. Why, of all the captains, in all of the Great Blue did it have to be him?

"What's wrong?" Cage asked.

"See the large man," He said pointing. "That's captain Joel. He's a freelancer but has a great deal of favour from both sides. It means we're going to have to approach this a little differently. Here's what we'll do..."

Joel stopped as a rustling came from the bushes. He drew his pistol shushing his crew as Benn strode out followed by a pale man and Legionaires.

"Well looked what the tide washed up." Joel said. Benn ignored him.

"Hello Joel. I'm here on business. All I want to do is check the cargo and you can go, ok?"

"You're outnumbered so why would I let you?"

"My ship is on the other side of the island, we can blow you to pieces before you can board. This job has the full backing of the Legion, your cargo is potentially stolen. I just want to verify that then you can go."

Joel nodded and set down one of the crates. He didn't like it but being responsible in a theft from the Legion wasn't something he wanted a part of. Benn routed about in the crate picking up various weapons. Benn had already worked out it was stolen but he had no intention of telling Joel. If he let him take it back to his customer they could catch the original thief. As planned his ship came sailing round the island to meet them.

"It's clean. You're lucky Joel."

Joel was about to reply when the sea heaved and the kraken resurfaced. Blind but still deadly it was out for vengance. It started thrashing about heading straight into Benn's ship. Both crews abandoned any differences and charged towards it.

Rufus
    As he headed away from the piers a figure stepped out from behind a hut. They were masked and cloaked. Wordlessly the motioned Rufus to join them out of sight. Rufus curled a fist as he stepped towards them.

"I have a job for you thief." The figure pulled a dagger from within the cloak turning it handle first and offering it to Rufus.

"I want to you to head to the small floatilla south-west of here. Find out if they've been harbouring rebels. If they have, wait for the Legionaires to arrive and tell them. If they haven't, I want you to plant that dagger. We will pay for any expenses you will incure after you've done the job - and you will do it, I mean otherwise who else wil be blamed for the possesion of that dagger?"

Without another word the figure walked off towards the piers and was soon out of sight.

20. SocksFox

Mimi: Surf's Edge

Mimi spine's tingled. She resisted the urge to fidget, thus revealing her sudden unease. Something wasn't right and it wasn't just the fact that they were in the midst of a Legion crew. She glanced down at her hands, the elemental lines obscured by fine knit wool.

"It's clean. You're lucky Joel."

He's lying, she thought noting the cunning gleam in the Legion Captain's eye. He wouldn't be here with an animagi for a mere stolen cargo. Someone was pulling strings.

She studied the other animagi, wondering if he suspected her. The bluish tint spoke of an ice elemental, a more specialized category of her own water abilities, which included some ice manipulation, but those were a bit limited and took a great deal of strength to control.

By sheer size and bearing, he was a predatory shifter. Her inner otter nattered in distress. Surely they hadn't tracked her down this quickly.

Any further musings were put on hold as the kraken reemerged, the sea boiling about it as it attacked. Taking advantage of the distraction, Mimi pulled her locket free and settled it into her dagger's hilt. The blade was still dark with the blood of the monster; the scyre link flared to life in her hand. One eye was damaged beyond repair, but the other remained whole.

A hunter's gleam lit her eyes as she went on the offensive. Acutely aware of the Legion's presence, she kept her motions tight, controlled with no wasted effort. No one could be allowed to know the truth.

While the men focused on the tentacles of the beast, she went after the soft spots. The one remaining eye and the unblemished body of the cephalopod. Feet and hands bared, she entered the teeming surf up to her knees. Hands skimming the surface, rune lines alight, she whispered to the sea. "Narwhaleous chargo, set to nigh...Narwhaleous chargo, set to nigh...Ringous twine." With a savage thrust, she drove her dagger through the waves, targeting the eye and the soft body.

Long slender ice spires formed a circle about the thrashing creature as she whirled round, setting the pattern. She had only one chance. This beast was not stupid, just persistent. Like a seamstress with a needle, she jabbed her blade in and out of the water, alternating sides. Left, right, left, right. The spearheaded ice spires, mirrored the motions beneath the waves, following the circle round.

Blood darkened the waves, salt brine and the metallic tang of copper meshed together like lovers as cannons began to roar. As the last of the kraken's blood washed from her blade, so too did the scrye link fade, but damage had been done. The second eye was gone.

21. Sven Berthold

Sven Berthold New Member

Rufus

“Wonderful.” He waved the dagger in a disappointed movement. From the start his intention had been to stay away from the Legion or the rebels, both would mean unnecessary problems now, however, his existence was as clear as day to them and he would have to obey orders, at least this once, a rather hateful situation. The dagger was a coarse and lifeless body in his left hand, the blade glistening under the sun peeking behind the low hills to his side, nothing to be done now he was sure, only attempting to complete this request in the safest way possible.

“A job fit of a thief indeed.” The voice whispered to the wind a little offended, a thief he was and any would consider so yet Rufus was overly proud to ever admit it. Striding along the shoreline he would eventually reach the flotilla mentioned by the Legion messenger. He could easily feel that sense of fear hiding at the back of his throat, this was a rather thrilling thing actually, your heart dancing in your chest as thousands of thoughts cross your mind at once while danger approaches, imagination creating dozens of possibilities of failure and the need to bring one’s own body under control.

The dagger had been safely hidden in the leather purse strapped to his back, the flotilla was no more impressive than he had imagined. Stopping not too many feet away he observed, careful not to look rather suspicious.

22. ZarisRedmist

ZarisRedmist New Member

Cage Lupum

From the bushes Benn cursed. Why, of all the captains, in all of the Great Blue did it have to be him?

"What's wrong?" Cage asked.

"See the large man," He said pointing. "That's captain Joel. He's a freelancer but has a great deal of favour from both sides. It means we're going to have to approach this a little differently. Here's what we'll do..."

Cage let the two of the captains talk out their appointment, as they talked cage watched all of the crew who was recovering and preparing for another attack from their Kraken. Cage looked upon the female with the other captain, it was easy to tell just from a glance she was uneasy about Cage being around, she was studying him; his curiosity was peaked as well. He could tell by her earlier fight she was highly skilled in combat. Not many could fight off a Kraken much less survive attacking one head on.

Cage watched with cold eyes as the Kraken resurfaced and was charging towards the ship. This was the instant Cage was waiting for, he jumped off of the ship landing on the water before the Kraken freezing the water as his feet touched it, he drew his blades and ran for the beast howling as he ran slashing tentacles and spines without issue. The other female warrior by this time had joined him in the fray she was focused around the parts the beast had been to guarded to reach prior to the last attack. Cage took this as the opportunity he needed to attempt to capture the animal so it could be destroyed by the woman, or at least mortally wounded. The battle raged on with the Kraken now completely contained in his ice Cage watched as the water turned red around the monster.

23. SocksFox

Mimi: Through and Through

Like a maddened automaton, Mimi sprinted out of the water, her dagger blade once more flush with the blood of the kraken. The scrye link flared with renewed life. The shields of the beast's eyes were gone. It there was now a chance at a clean shot directly through the soft body of the monster. If this was going to work, she would need a running start.

She summoned forth one final volley of ice spires and sent them plunging into the head of the kraken, a vanguard. Her feet were silent across the stones as she drew her sword and raced back toward the rising waves. The blood trail told her a rip tide was welling, coursing directly at the beast. Shifting on the fly, she arched hitting the water in her animal form.

A sea otter on the hunt, she sliced through the water like a blade, the metal of her sword clutched tight to her chest like the tusk of a narwhal. Riding the swelling tide into the dense, bloody water she followed her instincts. Iron coated her tongue, her whiskers burned with the churning agony of the mauled cephalopod, giving her a direction.

With each stroke of her tail and hind feet she gathered momentum, forcing herself faster and faster along the twisting slipstream of water. The world around her went dark, clouded by blood and the shadow of the beast. The temperature dropped sharply. Blind in the depths, she knew she was on course.

The kraken rolled, bringing one maimed eye parallel with the surface. The current shifted, slingshotting the streamlined predator upward into her target. Feet tucked tight against her tail, blade poised, she plunged through the head of the kraken, sword and claws shredding as she forced her way through. Water pressure propelled her forward like a bullet from a gun as tissue surrendered to hardened metal.

Mimi exploded out of the exposed eye socket like a cork landing on the deck in a massive tangle of entrails, gore, and gleaming metal. Exhausted, the otter dropped her dark, slimed head to the planking and focused on breathing. All around the thrashing tentacles of the kraken went limp.

24. ZarisRedmist

ZarisRedmist New Member

Cage Lupum

Cage watched the woman’s display in awe. It was clear she was an Animagi after his witnessing her transforming into an Otter, and slaying the Kraken with explosive precision. This woman was highly skilled and had the potential to be dangerous if he wasn’t careful. The beast went limp after the woman had exploded through its eye socket in her otter form and landed on the deck of the ship she jumped from. The beast was dead tentacles went limp as the creature began to sink below the surface; some tentacles remained attached to the ship the Kraken was previously attacking. Cage slowly walked across the water freezing it as he walked towards the ship. As he walked up to the ship he froze the water around the tentacle still clinging to the ship and raised his black blade and in one swift and silent motion he sliced what was left of the monster in two and continued until the ship was released from its clutches.

In one motion Cage leapt up on the deck of the ship and approached Captain Benn with a cold stare and equally low cold growl and pointed his still drawn blade at the Otter on the deck. “Captain, it is clear she is an Animagi, what do we do with her? Can we even trust her? We know she isn’t legion and we do not know if she is rebel or not. Maybe it’s the rush of the battle still talking but should we not at least try and question her?” Cage was right it was the battle still talking the blood in the water and air was making the wolf in him want to go into a frenzy, he was in control but he wasn’t sure how much longer he would be able to control such a will to fight.

25. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Benn

“Captain, it is clear she is an Animagi, what do we do with her? Can we even trust her? We know she isn’t legion and we do not know if she is rebel or not. Maybe it’s the rush of the battle still talking but should we not at least try and question her?” Cage said. Benn nodded. He had a point, but then she had killed the kraken. His nice side won over.

"We owe some gratitude. We'll turn a blind eye this time, pretend we never saw her animagi abilities. But next time, apprehend her. Then she can either register, surrender her artefact or try and fight us."

Benn sat down next to the otter checking her wounds. She didn't seem to badly hurt.

"And besides, we need to follow them."