1. Sham

Sham New Member

I got tihs about 30% planned out

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sham, May 24, 2011.

My story is about a boy named Fuyuki Ethan Blade. His first name has to do with his past, don't hate on it. He meets a teacher in the art of 'magic'(Called the Omegan Words) named Master Wohgo. Master Wohgo brings Ethan to the Omegan words Head Quarters where he meets yet another master, Master Alexander. I want him to have about 3 friends, (A Hacker, a Girl, and A fighter) and I want him to leave the Omegan words Head Quarters after learning some magic. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make him leave smoothy, how he can meet friends smoothy, etc? Thank ya.:confused::D:cool::confused:

2. Protar

Protar Active Member

Kind of hard to see as I don't have the backdrop of the story. Perhaps the bad guys attack the base and he has to flee with the girl (who could also be magic.) and then they meet up with the other two later. What genre is it?

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It seems like normally in fantasy lit, there's at least one character who looks like an enemy at first, but then they end up friends. In LOTR, Aragorn looked sketchy to the hobbits before they got to know him; in HP, Hermione seemed like an obnoxious snob tattletale before the troll incident caused her to befriend Harry and Ron; etc. So maybe there could be something about a character that causes him/her to be a huge asset, but early on, that person seems like a bad guy because of that very same trait.

Also, I like Protar's idea of having him escape danger with the girl, but you'd have to play it right or else it'll just come across as cheesy, predictable teen romance. Maybe he likes this girl for real, drolls about her in his POV, etc, and when he gets to rescue her it's like a "YESSSS!" moment for him in spite of the danger. Or, the opposite, where she's annoying and he hates her (or vice versa) and then she grows on him after the incident. If you don't embrace it for what it is in some way, or if it's just a guy and a girl who are kind of aloof from each other until a tender rescue brings them together, it'll seem contrived, in my opinion.

As far as the hacker character -- do you mean the magical equivalent of the computer hacker type? - think about it. Give your MC a motive to want the hacker's help. I'm using real-life examples because I don't know what's possible within your story's world, but let's say a professor wrongly gives the MC a failing grade just because of a personality clash, or someone spreads false information about him all over the Internet, etc. So your MC has an identifiable reason to want some hacking done, and enlists the hacker's help.

4. Sham

Sham New Member

Thanks.

The backdrop is Modern-Fantasy. I also like the idea of a rescue, but starting out as enemies. And the Chinese Master sounds like a subject worth of being sketchy. Thank you.

As for the hacker, he would hack computers with magic, because hacking magic would be a difficult magic to do. Thank you for the help, but I am still stumped on the fighter.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Perhaps, on the first day of school, your protag gets the crap kicked out of him by the fighter. Later, though, he comes to identify with the fighter and his motives for being so aggressive (i.e. the protag dislikes bullies and the fighter hunts down other bullies, or the protag likes being left alone and the fighter beats up people who butt into his space). Once this is recognized, your protag realizes that the fighter also cares about the protag's cause and can be a useful asset. Maybe he has other useful traits he can bring to the table besides just his fighting ability.

6. Sham

Sham New Member

I suppose the fighter could not use magic. I love your ideas, though. Also, for the main plot, I was thinking an evil master mind was going to destroy the Omegan Words(In my story, the words are the very fabric and matter of the universe) and Ethan, the girl, the hacker, and the fighter would go to stop him. Along the way, one of them would get lost (Probably the hacker) and they would have to go on without him. What do you think?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Asking other people to come up with the other 70% of your story idea is a bit much, don't you think?

8. Sham

Sham New Member

I'm not really asking for 70% of the story.
    I know what I am going to do, but my story, in my head, has gaps.
    For say, I know that Ethan and the hacker are going to get split up in a freak accident while trying to rescue and befriend the girl, but I don't know what event happened to lead up to that.
    I know how Ethan and the girl and the hacker will meet, though. So I'm not horribly clueless.

9. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Have you ever though about re-naming the characters?

(Just kidding)

(well sort of)

Have you ever though of making it a mystery? Remember people want to be intregued. Have your audience asking questions the whole time. Try some brain storming excersises where you write a series of random words, people and then relationship status on a piece of paper, join them up randomly, and then incorporate them into the story. Even if they don't work out, at least you'll know what you really don't want. Also, remember that there are only about 7 differnet types of story in the world, find out what the major arc of your story will be - love, redemption, revenge etc. All the characters should have their own motivations. They should want for something (even if it is just a glass of water (advice curtesy of Kurt Vonnegut)). If all your characters have motivations merely make sure the pathway of them achieving said aims overlap with each other.

Also the name thing? It is very distracting for a reader because they don't know how to pronounce the words correctly. It seems alien. Be imaginative, by all means - but keep it real.

Good Luck Writing.

10. Sham

Sham New Member

Thank you. I was thinking today about renaming Fuyuki to just Ethan Blade. That sounds better, and I like it. I'm almost done with chapter 2, but then I need to go fix chapter 1. I'll post a smidget here later.