1. T.V.Ebanks

T.V.Ebanks New Member

Ideas on Naming a Book! HELP!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by T.V.Ebanks, Jun 18, 2010.

Hey guys, I hav been working on one of my books for a year now and it just came to my realization that alot of popular books, mostly all popular books, have an interesting & eye catching name, thus making the book popular. So, the name of my book is "Ben Cooper". I named it Ben Cooper because the story is about a teenage guy (Ben) who meets this girl name Kimberly Zwicher, that has the same "problem" as him. They soon discover that this "problem" that they have is in fact, powers. Ben has the powers of telepathy and telekinesis while Kimberly only has telepathy. They become close friends and as their relationship grows closer, they eventually fall in love. But they can't touch each other because when 2 telepahs touch it interferes with their "mind frequency" (still working on better reason) and it sends a shock throughout their body.
    The sub-plot is a little girl named Susana,who has the telepathy power also is imprisoned by a company called "OneNationSecurity" that has a division called "Sector 9", where they experiment on the telepathic and telekinesis captives for military research and use. There are alot of these "mutants" that are captured, and Ben has to save them all, because it was predicted that he was "the chosen one" (not immature, but fate, he was meant to rescue them etc). The final chapters are about Ben and Kimberly heading out to rescue the others. But in the end, Ben dies (spoiler >.<).

I'm aiming the book for a Paranormal Romance and Young Adult Fiction, but the name of the book, just sounds plain and not catchy. I also thought of keeping "Ben Cooper" as the title bit have a subtitle underneath it, which has a richer meaning about the book. (My idea was Ben Cooper: Amore Vietato [which means Forbidden Love in Italian]). So can someone help me out please with a name that relates to the plot of the book and if I ever successfully get the book published I will give you part credit for the name.

Also, tell me if the story of the book sounds real.

Thank you so much for reading this long thing!!

2. izanobu

izanobu Senior Member

Killing the title character at the end of the book seems like a deal-breaker to me, at least if I were reading and got to that point, I'd quit the book (unless somehow he was brought back to life in a second book? But still).

When you find a publisher for the book, they'll title it most likely, so don't worry about the working title too much.

3. T.V.Ebanks

T.V.Ebanks New Member

OMG, I forgot to put that in the post. I rewrote it so I missed out some parts but yes you're right, there is a sequel,but it's about the girl, Kimberly, and her trying to forget about Ben and meeting this rich guy. At the end of "Ben Cooper" when she is at her prom alone by herself she hears him call her, throught the telekinesis.

I forgot to quote on quote the death part".

But how does the book sound to you. And thanks!

4. Tamsin

Tamsin Senior Member

I think 'Sector 9' sounds like a pretty good title :)

xx

5. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Any book title should reflect the theme or story that the book has.

Ben Cooper sounds like a good title. A lot of books that are released use the name of the main character, for example, Odd Thomas, I Alex Cross and even Harry Potter.

If you wanted to add a sub-title to the title then you could use something like 'Ben Cooper versus Sector 9' or 'Ben and his Love Shocks'.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

As for the title: Keep your working title for now, and write the book. By the time you finish, you may very well come up with a better title. After all, no one knows your story as well as you do. The title may come from a key conflict, a memorable scene, a dialogue line one of the characters comes up with, or a metaphor that occurs to you at some point.

Your publisher might even suggest a title change if the story is good but the title doesn't snap. After all, the title is product branding. It's a marketing issue as much as a creative choice.

In both cases, though, the advice is the same. Don't worry about it, just write the book.

7. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico Member

It reminds me of the films 'Session 9' and 'District 9' (which, coincidentally, was called 'Sector 9' in some countries).

It sounds like Kimberly should be the main character, if you're working on a series. I don't know if you've read Harry Potter, but imagine if the first book ended with Harry Potter dying, then Hermione took over after that. I like that it's risky, but I doubt readers (or a publisher) would like that.

I would also say that killing off one of the two characters, Ben or Kimberly, would be halting any romantic tension between them. You could probably keep going for several books while they try to find a way to be with each other without shocking. But you could make it work, if she finds love with someone else and it gets interesting.

As for the title, something with 'One Nation' might be good, because it could apply to OneNationSecurity as well as the "nation" or group of people with powers. Like they have to stand together and fight.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

One thing that will come into play, should your path take you to publication, is that you may have to get happy with the idea that the publisher will chose a title for you. Publishers pay people to create titles that are attention getters. Just like any other sort of advertising, your title is an advertisement of the story within.

9. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

What do you mean by that?

10. Taylor3

Taylor3 Member

ya sounds like a good idea for a book, if it is written well. what cogito said is the truth.

11. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

Restless Minds. It sounds scientific as well as romantic.