1. Draven

Draven New Member

Ideas to generate an excellent plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Draven, Nov 27, 2006.

This is a topic dedicated to ways to form an excellent plot.

One of the techniques that I most frequentely use is combining two good ideas to make a perfect one. I usually get my best stories this way.

Anyone else have any ways?

2. Robert

Robert Banned

Create a character. Make the character want something. Put obstacles in the way.

3. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Thats pretty much my method.

I also get a lot of my plot ideas from news articles

4. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

CS Lewis said that he created ideas by linking images in his head. For example he saw a Fawn standing by a lamppost in the middle of a snowy glen. He saw a group of children sitting down to have dinner with a beaver family etc. He says that he was just fortunate that all of the images fit together to form good stories. That's not going to work for most of us though - but it might work for some. The safest and quickest way is the way that Robert outlined. It's probably the best way to get a good story going.

zb

5. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Wow, that sounds like what I do, actually. I concentrate on the images of specific scenes, and I have to link them together to form stories. Depending on where specific images fit, that determines which of my stories the image goes into.

Thanks for sharing that, zerobytes.

6. chase42

chase42 New Member

Since I like writing military fiction, I create a basic political scenario or/and a rough strategic scenario. I create character(s), and throw them into the mix, and depending on how the character reacts, that results in a tactical scenario, and eventually a solution to the bigger idea.

7. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Well I have always created a character first, I spend a couple of weeks creating the character, right down to the nitty gritty details, the personality, looks, pictures, poses. I find it easier to know my character before I start the novel. I do it the same way as Robert really.

8. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

The best thing you can do for a novel to make it interesting and successful is to try to put your own experiences, personality, and achievements in your plot and characters. Of course, you need good characters, but you need to put your own tone and theme into the story. Give a central message and put your life experiences into the story. The story needs to be genuine, and can feel the pain or happiness as the character feels it in that single moment. It makes you feel like you know that the feeling is genuine.

9. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Everything is pretty much in my head. I think about things a lot, I zone out and listening to what is going on around me helps as well. Something might give me an idea and I write it down or mull over it.

10. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord New Member

When I created my fantasy world for my stories - I then thought about what stories I wanted to tell in that world.

Much of the world's history provided me with story ideas. Also I started thinking about characters - about who suffers the most in my world (since they make the most interesting characters) - and those characters also suggested story ideas.

Each time I write a story I also spend a lot of time working out the background - the setting (including cultures and creatures) and the characters. The plot kind of comes together really well when you pay attention to all those things - ideas start to form...

11. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

In Brust's interview, he recommends starting with the food.

12. AeroDillo

AeroDillo New Member

Sorry...wrong thread.

13. Wader Go

Wader Go New Member

I start by taking someone elses story, and then changing the names of the characters...

Seriously though. The first thing I do is come up with an awesome idea for an opening, and then an awesome idea for an ending, then spent the rest of my time trying to fill the middle.

If the start and end aren't good, then nobody will want to read your work.

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    I would say the best thing to do is devolp the characters and then throw them into the mess. But, when I write I focus on the characters more than anything else, so that might not work for you.