1. Spook

Spook New Member

Anyone been to Iraq or Afghanistan lately?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Spook, Jan 6, 2009.

Part of my story involves a mortar attack on a Forward Operating Base. In Basic Training, we practiced moving from our tents to a safe bunker and then taking accountability to see who was there and who was not there.

Is it the same at a base these days? Or are the buildings all fortified, so you stay in your bunk? (This would happen in the middle of the night) How would you know whether to stay bunkered up or to prepare for a full scale attack?

Does anyone know where I can find a good description of what happens during a rocket or mortar attack in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Thanks!

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I have not but fortunately my dad has been back and forth several times and had such a situation (he's like my grandfather. He likes to tell his stories to the young'ns XD).

When the base my dad's battalion was hold up in got mortared everyone jumped out of their bunks grabbed their weapons and sough cover in more fortified locations (like concrete guard towers and bunkers) than the tents and unsecure buildings they were sleeping in. Some of the officers and noncoms were inside one of Saddam's palaces nearby. The higher ranking officers like majors and captains and my dad (Lt. Colonel) stayed inside and got started organizing in case it was a lead up to a larger attack while the lieutenants and the noncoms went out to check on the men. They never got attacked but once the shelling stopped first they did a head count found the one guy who was missing had been in the bathroom and was fine and then did a check in case any unauthorized personnel slipped in during the attack and took a look at the damage. He didn't tell me how long the whole process took but I could ask.

3. Spook

Spook New Member

Thanks! That's exactly the description I needed!