Idiosyncrasies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I curse. A lot. It's just a knee-jerk reaction. Like when I'm playing Guitar Hero and screw up, or when I get a bad grade, or anything bad in general. It just slips out.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Is that an idiosyncrasy? Or is it Tourettes? :p

I curse a lot, too. I feel that too many people judge four-letter words and leave them out of conversation...I'm just trying to make them feel less neglected.

3. Gigi_GNR

I have honestly thought on more than one occasion that I have Tourettes.

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I'm trying to cut back on my sailor's mouth. :rolleyes:

But the rules are totally off limits when I'm driving. I have the worst road rage... when I'm behind the wheel, most conversations go something like... "Eff this effing goddarn 'stuff;' where the eff did you learn to drive you effing effer?!"

Something like that. :p

Note to self: Make sure to keep windows up at all times. Keeps the cops from hearing you curse them out.

I dont really think that's an idiosyncracy though... I picked that kind of road rage up from my family. :D

5. hiddennovelist

I'm with you on the road rage. I decided a few years ago that I needed to find some kind of in-car yoga to do to keep myself calm.

And your tip about keeping the windows rolled up reminded me of something. I was going through the drive through at Del Taco, the line was really long, and the guy in front of me was being stupid and taking forever. It's like 150000 degrees outside. I'm dripping sweat, want to get home and eat, and so I'm very irritated by this. Finally, I place my order, and then we're just waiting for the cars ahead of us so we can get our food. Well, the car in front of the idiot pulls away, and he just sits there. Forgetting my window is open, I yell say calmly "Pull forward, you f***ing d****bag!"

Yeah...he heard me...:redface:

6. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

lmao.

7. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

I, too, have the mouth of a sailor. I don't even realize it anymore. My mother, little brother, and I were eating at the table and I was like, "Hey mom, can you pass the macaroni?" She looked at me blankly, "Yes, if you watch your language at the table." I was kind of blindsided by that because I hadn't sworn, but my brother was laughing. After dinner I asked him what I had said.

"Hey mom, can you f***in' pass the f***in' macaroni?"

Oops!

It really isn't that surprising tho, my third or fourth word was f*** and I vividly remember calling my kindergarten teacher a f***head. Plus my pop likes to swear, not as much as I do, but still a fair amount.

8. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

That's really bad! :p

I don't swear. And when I get really upset with something, I 'll just say 'Damn!" in my head... :D

9. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Because I used to swear all the time, and still do when I'm with my friends, I've had to learn how to stop myself. Sometimes I can't- the curses I've invented while watching the Leafs fail at hockey are pretty awesome. Which has made things extra fun the few times I've been able to get tickets.

10. Gigi_GNR

After watching Stepbrothers--not my choice of movie, by the way--my swearing has increased in win. :D

11. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Let's see. Strange little things I do, there are so many to choose from.

I can't take seeing finger prints on cheese. When I open either the individually wrapped slices, or a large 3 lbs hunk of cheddar, I won't put my fingers directly on the cheese, I will use the wrapper. The exception with this is when a hunk of cheese is being shredded, I will put my fingers on it, since I can't see the finger prints in the end product.

Crumbs in the butter, drives me insane.

I check my towel when I get out of the shower for spiders, I check my clothes before I put them on, and I will take the sock I am putting on and put it on my hand and reach inside both shoes to make sure there are no spiders or other crawling bugs down there.

I prefer to eat my pasta without sauce, only butter, with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

I check the locks in the house frequently in the evening and before I go to bed, even if I've checked them (but I don't do this consistently or OCD like) It's just the slight paranoia of another break in. Especially when I am home with out my hubby, this intensifies a little bit.

I chain smoke when I write.

My mother got me in the habit of saving paper towels when they are only used to dry hands...for later use in wiping down counters or floors. This is something my husband can't stand, because by the end of the day, there'd be a stack of paper towels on the counter, because our kids now do it.

I have to wash my hair first when I am in the shower. If I don't I feel all out of sorts. Hair, rinse, conditioner -- leave in while, wash body, rinse conditioner out, dry off in the tub after shower is off. It's this whole weird ritual I have to do when I shower or I don't feel right. Of course it's not intrusive on my life, so isn't an OCD, as I can function if I don't do it.

I don't like eating at other people's houses, not usually because I'm afraid of germs, though pet fur or hair in the food will definitely turn me off. But, because I rarely like the way other people cook. It always tastes odd to me. I like specific types of things, like I hate Miracle Whip, but like Mayo and I can taste the difference.

I prefer Coke to all other soda soft drinks.

If I have a pen in my hand I tend to tap it at a steady rhythm on any surface or my own body...some sort of nervous tick.

I am extremely friendly and never afraid to talk to anyone, unless they look creepy.

When confronted with an oppositional person, I can't control my adrenaline rush. I get shaky, short of breath, heart pounding, and sometimes tear up (not out of fear or being upset) but totally out of bottling the anger. I try to maintain a steady keel, but after a conflict I feel totally spent emotionally and physically.

I don't suffer from road rage except for about two days out of the month.

On the PMS cycle I have at least one sometimes up to a week of time where I have no control over my irritation level. I try to control it, but small little things will set me off into a full on rage. I frequently have to sequester myself from humans during this time.

I think the governments are all run by a shadow group of elite people who are hell bent on controlling the population. (however, I don't buy into most conspiracy theories.)

I carry a hand gun and a flashlight when I go out after dark.

I hate to clean, yet I'm a neat freak, so I always end up just procrastinating cleaning because there is always something better to do, plus it is totally a losing battle in my house with a husband and two kids who are slobs making a mess of what I just cleaned, and not enough space for all our stuff.

I have to lay on the side of the bed closest to the door, doesn't matter which side, just the one near the exit.

I have little tolerance for outright stupid people. It amazes me how confused, ignorant, and uninformed people in general are.

I don't like dogs that jump on people, and I hate owners who don't know how to train their dogs not to jump on people. I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner.

I don't like the smell of bird cages, or small rodent cages.

I despise being wet while wearing anything other than a bathing suit or my birthday suit. Wet clothes, shoes or socks will make me a very irritated girl. Cold also makes me cranky. I don't like being cold. Combine the two and I could get homicidal.

I can't take having to explain things over and over again to someone who just can't get it, I'll end up saying never mind.

I think that is it for my little oddities. Oh, I talk to myself all the time, and I answer myself too.

Edit: thought of a few more.

I don't like looking outside through a window when it is dark. I pull all shades and blinds before it is pitch black outside.

I also can't slip in complete darkness. I have to have a nightlight or a TV or something.

12. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

We are similar.

13. hiddennovelist

As are we.

Except a lot of my tendencies I do consider OCD because while I can function without doing them, if I don't do them it is all I will think about until I finally do.

14. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I used to always have to check something that was clearly locked or turned off 8 times when i was younger. No more than, no less then (Locked back gate, taps in the house ((neve rwanted to flood th home))

Glad i somehow got over it, because in during it, it bugged the hell out of me.

I still double and tripple check taps though. Locks don't bother me.

- I alwayd close the bedroom door before going to sleep (and the master bedroom bathroom and closets) i cant sleep with them open, ever.

I'm sure i have heaps of odd things, i just cant think of any right now.

- I never keep change (coinage), unless i get $1 or $2 coins, i always tell them to keep it or place in in their donation box. I hate coins with a passion. Stu[pid and expensive, but yeah there is always a homeless around when it comes to city life to hand it too. They can use it better anyway.

15. Gigi_GNR

I hate change. It's so troublesome to hold and store, and I hate it. Unless enough quarters build up to make a few bucks, count me out.

16. Gigi_GNR

Whenever I lock a door, I always have to tug on the doorknob and try to open it to make sure it's really locked. Don't know why, cuz in CandyLand there's practically no danger, aside from the sugar avalanches.

17. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

Haha, I immensely enjoy reading these. They make me like humanity more somehow. :) Keep posting, guys!

As for mine...

-When I take a break from reading a book I must stop at a page with a lucky number (my brother says my system for determining the numbers makes no sense but hey, it's my quirk!).

-I sort of...flail/wiggle my arms and hands at my sides when I'm happy/excited. Oh god, I feel like a loon writing this. :rolleyes:

-I lick my utensils clean after I'm done eating because I can't stand for them to have any kind of residue, even if I'm going to be washing them.

-I have to lie in bed for exactly half an hour after I wash my hair, and then stay home for three hours before I can leave the house. This is why I usually wash my hair in the evening. Oh, I also wear a hat for an hour after I've washed my hair, because I have the unshakeable belief that doing so will prevent me from catching a cold.

-I constantly check and see if I've flushed the toilet. It's always pristine, but I still can't stop doing this.

I'm not crazy, I swear! ;)

18. Gigi_GNR

I'm a total computer junkie, especially in the summer. During the school year, I go on a few hours a week, usually an hour after school and a few more hours on the weekends. But during the summer, I'm on the computer for hours. It annoys my whole family, but it's my addiction. Which is why I want a laptop most of all right now. I'd be able to go outside, sit in the living room, go to the library, etc, while on the computer, instead of sitting in one spot for a long time. It would annoy everyone less if I moved around a little more, myself included! :D

19. Chumbutter

Chumbutter New Member

The same thing happened to me at that age, but without the teacher bragging. They did mention me in the front of the class but at that time I was shy. But I did not spend the entire day reading, though I did become addicted to reading at one point. I still treat it like someone would treat "comfort food".

20. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

One i always do, and its a generational thing now (rather than individual) Whenever i get on the train or walk down the street these days i automatically put it ear phones on, even when im not listening to music. Great for stopping those annopying moments of interaction.

Also if im in the city i look at all the book stores i go past, even if i looked in their yesterday, i just cant help myself.

21. ShadowKyogre

ShadowKyogre New Member

I tend to use more "religious" curse words. And I also apparently like sleeping with ice packs.

22. arron89

arron89 Banned

When I'm changing the volume it has to be on a "good" number.
    11, 16, 18, 21, 24, 27.
    Always one of those. Nothing else. Bugs me too much.

And when I'm eating individually wrapped candy/chocolate, I fold the wrapper up neatly and geometrically, rather than just screwing it up.

23. Gigi_GNR

When playing Ping-Pong, I always have to use the purple paddle. Never the green one. I can't do it.

I also have to start my day in the morning with a cup of raspberry tea with honey, or I can't function. I also have one around 3 PM, like tea time in England. :D

24. hiddennovelist

Oh my god.

I didn't know anyone else did this.

25. Gigi_GNR

One of my best friends always folds the aluminum foil of her sandwiches at lunch time. It makes me laugh.