1. Mask

Mask New Member

Help: Too Sleepy/Braindead to Write

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mask, Feb 1, 2013.

Recently, for some reason, I have been getting tired frequently and thus have been unable to write much of the time (despite being on a deadline...). When I wake up, I generally have a drowsiness effecting my ability to write, which leaves me unable to do anything. When I'm more awake, and I read what I wrote while sleepy... it's generally rather bad.

Has anyone else been experiencing this sort of thing? Please help, I want to get this story ready ASAP before the publishers find something else.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Yes, when you are overtired, your writing quality will suffer. There could be lots of reasons - you may be keeping poor sleeping habits, be overexerting yourself, or you could have some physical issue. If you can't put your finger on either of the first two, you should see a physician. Deadline or no.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Maybe you should plan your writing for a different time of the day.

4. Mask

Mask New Member

Thank you for your advice, Ed. I will try to get more rest, and see a doctor if things don't improve. I have been feeling sick lately, so that might be the reason. It's unfortunate... I am not very healthy, and get sick rather frequently, so if I can't write while sick, it will be a problem for me.

@Cognito: Time of day isn't much of a problem for me. I have some free time for the next week or two at least. So... I would like to get my writing done now while there are few interruptions.

5. Fun

Fun New Member

Would you consider writing for half an hour or one hour a day if you are on some sleepy days? You might be more awake for short busts of time.

I would also like to ask you not to throw away the work you thought were bad, you might find something interesting out of it.

Hope you feel well and may your writing go smoothly.

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

There are a whole bunch of reasons why someone may feel tired a lot. It may be something as simple as anaemia or poor sleep patterns from stress or snoring. My advice is that if this has been going on for more than a few days you should see your family doctor and get some tests done.

Cheers, Greg.

7. Mask

Mask New Member

Thank you for the advice. Excercise seems like it might be helping, but I probably won't be able to write well till I feel better.

8. Xatron

Xatron New Member

When i get like that it is 99% due to my sleeping schedule going crazy, like falling asleep at around 7:00-7:30 AM and waking up at 3:00 PM and being unable to concentrate. Try sleeping throughout the night if your work doesn't prevent you from doing so and you should feel better.