1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

If you could do anything....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Apr 9, 2011.

Have you ever had any dreams or long-standing aspirations in your life, some idea that takes your fancy and makes you think, "I'd really like to do that someday"? Have you ever thought of something you'd really like to do, something on your bucket list that's always in the back of your mind to do sometime in your life?

For me, the dream that I've had for a long time is a cross-country road trip. Ever since I was little, I always wanted to get in a car with some friends or family and just drive, take this long road trip away from home, going anywhere but not looking back. I always heard these songs on the radio, the songs that talk about grabbing your keys, packing up and just driving away, songs like "Suburban War" or "Heads Carolina, Tails California" about leaving. I always had a romanticized view of that, and I still do.

Me and my friends have discussed how amazing it would be to go on some kind of road trip after graduating senior year, just packing up a car or an RV or something and hitting the road, going through every state, stopping at every major landmark and tourist trap, maybe spending the whole summer on the road with each other. I know it probably won't happen the summer after senior year, but I've promised myself that sometime in my life I'm going to take that great road trip, traveling all over the US with friends or family or someone. It's one of the dreams I've had for a long time. :p

Has anyone else ever had any long-standing dreams like that?

2. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I want to have enough money to one day be able to afford a Chinese buffet, all day, everyday. On the otherhand, the fact that I'm famished right now could be the source of my dreams.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I would love to have someone take some of my characters and turn them into a musical. At very least write a play based on them. But a musical would be amazing.

4. Mr. Blue Dot

Mr. Blue Dot New Member

You've never done that?!? Road trips are cheap! Get on it!

Two things I've always wanted to do are sky diving and fire spinning (Not at the same time of course... but maybe...). Whenever I've had the extra money for sky diving, something else always seems to come up. I haven't done fire spinning yet because I'm still practicing not hitting myself with my poi, but that will probably happen this summer :D

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

If there was no limit to my resources and I could do anything, I'd own a horse ranch.

Just a thing I'd like to do that I haven't done? I'd like to see Aurora Borealis.

6. Gigi_GNR

I'd definitely like to go sky-diving as well. I went scuba diving recently on a school trip, so I crossed that off my list. :D

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've done enough in my 7+ decades [much more than most ever dream of doing!] that there's nothing left i'd want to do that can be done...

8. Gigi_GNR

I've also always wanted to go bungee-jumping. I love all those exhilarating, scary things. :p

9. art

art Contributor Contributor

I've always rather fancied that... in the US and Canada mind. You can't really do that in the UK without driving into the sea or crossing into Wales.

Also like the idea of taking a leisurely train trip from Western Europe to the far east of Russia.

10. stickchyeA

stickchyeA New Member

I've always wanted to oversee the shooting of short films that my friends and I would work on together.

Basically look up the "A Beautiful Lie" music video from 30 Seconds to Mars. That. :D

11. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I want to go everywhere! Experience everything! (And stay in luxury hotels while I'm at it). I really,really want to go to Italy, though.

12. Gigi_GNR

Same here! :) And England too. My Aunt Sandy has been on Italian trips multiple times, and she has an entire room in her house decorated to look like an Italian room (she calls it the "Tuscan room"). Her pictures and stories from those trips are amazing, and I've always wanted to go to Italy. Plus I've always wanted to go to England. :)

13. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I have lots of things I wish I could do. I dunno how many of these I'll ever get to do, but I still aspire to them.

1) Go to at least one country on every continent (I'm three for seven right now). In this I would also like to go to New Zealand, Peru, Egypt, and Ireland.
    2) Learn a second language to the point of fluency. I'd most likely be able to do this with German.
    3) Learn to play the piano.
    4) Become a successful writer. :p

14. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I've always wanted to wrestle as a professional wrestler. Came close to it a couple years back. I took about 6 months of training and it looked real promising until my mom was suddenly hospitalized. I had to take care of her for a few months and couldn't afford 6-7 hour weekends of training.

I also wanted to be an actor in a stunt show. Something akin to WaterWorld at Universal Studios Hollywood. Being around explosions and gunfire seems so exciting (in a controlled setting of course)

15. Gigi_GNR

I've always wanted to be the President of the US. :p A little childish, maybe, but I was always told by my relatives that I could be the first female president, and while maybe I won't be the first, it's a dream that's been so deeply ingrained in me since childhood that I can't just let it go.

16. violinobsessed

violinobsessed New Member

I want to play tennis. I have wanted to do that since I watched an anime which inspired me to play tennis. But it was 2 years ago and I have not even touched that tennis racket I bought. Nobody plays tennis, in my area, and that really saddens me.

17. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I want to save the world. No really, I have plans. Books upon books of plans that detail everything I want to do if I take over. Preferably Canada as that is where I reside. Hopefully I can do that, I doubt it, but I hope.

18. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Never understood those who wants to bunjee jump and skydive and all that... One mistake and you're dead. No thank you.

I want to go to Japan one day. And Disney world :p

19. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

One thing that I've kept in the back of my mind that I wish to do someday is visit London, England.

Why?

Because I simply find beauty in that place. I've always wanted to walk inside a cathedral, pick up the British accent (because I find it amazing sounding), I want to write a story based upon London, etc. My list goes on and on, and I will accomplish this one day. :rolleyes:

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Go into Space.

21. Smoke

Smoke New Member

I think I was in Highschool or younger when I first saw Reboot. I certainly was in Highscool when I saw Beast Wars. I recorded Beast Machines when I was in college. I wanted to work for Mainframe and be part of making their half-hour action-figure commercials.

I would have been happy with Pixar or similar companies, of course, or any of the nameless companies that were making 30-second commercials with the same technology.

I burned myself up in chasing the dream. I am actually improving, but the process of destruction has turned me into a shut-in whose paranoia involves freaking out in public and being treated as crazy again. (I really didn't cross a passion threshold, they stopped me before I got halfway because they were paranoid. They are so ****ing lucky that I'm not suicidal, they still don't know how messy it would be if I didn't want to keep existing.)

22. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Back in High School, I did a catering course, it was amazingly fun. We catered for a few different functions and I really enjoyed it. I often wondered how great it would be to follow in my great grandmothers foot steps and be a caterer. Now I'd love to do it, or to even do cake decorating for a living. Be nice. My great grandmother was a caterer for the Royal family. It would have been so wonderful to have been able to meet her, she was such an inspirational woman! So yes, if I could do anything, it would be to get into catering or cake designing. I have wanted to for 10 years now.

23. L.H.J.

L.H.J. New Member

That's for me to know and you to not know.
    i'd love to skate on real ice. sing in my school's talent show (but unlikely cuz I can't sing for my life) traveling to a few places in the world sounds fun too.

24. Gigi_GNR

Wow, Tor, that's really cool! :) My grandma is a pretty inspirational person to me as well. She used to work in a hair salon, pretty high-up position I think, until she had her back surgeries and had to quit it. She still does hair, though, and does it better than any salon I know. I've never had to pay for a dye or cut in my life, or an eyebrow wax either. :D

I've always wanted to skate on ice too, but I've never gotten the chance. (And I live in Wisconsin. What.)

25. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Your grandmother sounds awesome, darl. I unfortunately never got to meet my great grandmother, she was quite old and in England, where I've never yet been, but I know we'd of got on well. Some of the stories I could tell though, things my grandmother told me about our family with the royal family, so damn funny!

It's definitely why I would love to get into the food industry. lol