If you could live anywhere on Earth...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin Ladobruk, Jul 1, 2013.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

If I could, I'd live in my homeland too. Adriatic coast, a little island in Dalmacia, or Pula, in Istria. Alas, I'm Serbian and can't feel comfortable there anymore. One day, perhaps.

2. UnrealCity

UnrealCity Active Member

I'd live in New York, or London! Or in north Queensland at one of the Whitsunday islands!

3. George C K Wardini

George C K Wardini New Member

Some penthouse in NewYork, empire state perhaps?

4. thatblowfish

thatblowfish New Member

I love London, but if I lived anywhere else it'd be Ireland. I think I have one aunt that doesn't live in Ireland, and the rest of my entire family and ancestry come from around the Munster area on my mums side, and from Ulster on my dads. I go there at least once or twice a year, so I have friends there and I feel pretty settled in a handful of areas. Also my long-distance boyfriend lives in Cork, so that'd be a bit of a plus. Also it's a pretty great country, and really the weather is the only unappealing part, but you get used to that.

1 person likes this.
  5. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

It really does suck. I have found some peaceful, less-known beaches in the Laguna area.

Because of ethnic tensions there?

6. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

If the crime rate in major American cities such as New York and Philadelphia were as low as they are here in rural Maine, I would love those big cities a lot more.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A number of years ago I had a friend who had lived most of her adult life in the Deep South, and was at that time living in San Francisco.. She visited me one week here in New England.

I've lived most of my life in New England, and didn't really care much for it. I found it boring. She had been in this part of the country before, but not for decades. In that week, I saw New England with fresh eyes -- through her eyes, you might say.

She returned the West Coast after too brief a visit, but I sent her photographs of the beauty of this area, and the seasonal changes. And when I in turn visited her in San Francisco, I was able to return the favor and show her the Bay Area through my eyes.

It's not where you live so much as how you open yourself to it.

8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

A small town in a cold climate. Alas, there's no work to be had.

9. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

[MENTION=53907]Anthony Martin[/MENTION]: Not so much tensions anymore, since they ethnically cleansed the area in mid nineties. But driving through burned and abandoned serbian villages on my way from Zagreb to Sibenik makes me cry so much that the entire holiday is ruined thereafter. Maybe one day when the Croatian government is forced by EU to enable the 300 000 people to return to their homes, I'll be able to enjoy it once again :)

1 person likes this.
  10. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Id probably move to Scandinavia somewhere, 1) because of the Metal Scene, Metal is an intergral part of who i am, so it make sense, 2) From photos ive seen, its beautiful and 3) its nice and cold on occasion too

11. CarrieAlldridge

CarrieAlldridge New Member

If I could live anywhere it would have to be Scotland, there are so many beautiful places in the world but Scotland's landscape seems to speak to me.

12. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I would want to live in Indiana I had a uncle who live there for many years and he enjoyed living there.

13. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I can't imagine myself living anywhere but New York. It can make you crazy, but I love it here.

Visiting, however, is another matter. There, my list is quite extensive. Near the top of my list is Paris, so that afterward, I'll be able to say to my wife, "We'll always have Paris."

14. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Except when specific local laws and regulations get in your way, laws and regulations that wouldn't be there in another country / area.

On occasion? It's cold up here almost all the time! :D

15. Cydramech

Cydramech Member

Outside of the U.S., about the only places I'd be willing to move to at this rate include: Estonia (teaching elementary kids how to code? that's what I wanted growing up FFS!), Switzerland (only because of the assault rifle ownership requirement & its neutrality), Japan (the Yakuza have proven themselves consistently & constantly), or China if they continue down the path to economic freedom.

But in the U.S., I'm planning on moving to either Cheyenne, Wyoming or somewhere in the southeast corner of Nevada, and as a fan of the Free State Project, I could consider New Hampshire. Otherwise, as a last resort I'll move back to my hometown in Kingman, Arizona since I've family history there going back to its foundation at least.

16. spook2992

spook2992 New Member

Anywhere with sandy beaches and driftwood. preferably a cove :)

17. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

Mongolia or Siberia. Canada might be nice, but it's too North American for me.

18. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

The perfect location for me would be a city not too far from water, whether it's a sea or simply a large river, in central/northern Europe or east/southeast Asia. I've no preference as to a specific city/country at the moment.

I'll admit I've never seen the appeal in the USA. Maybe I'll change my mind when I visit later this year.

19. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

The US is continent spanning; there are mountain ranges and forests and deserts and plains. Do you mean that you don't see the appeal in North America as a whole...?