If you had a time machine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MLM, May 2, 2014.

1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I would go back and listen to Jesus preach. I wouldn't change anything - I just want to witness his birth, death and resurrection. I'd kiss him and kneel at his feet, and what an honour that would be.

Otherwise, I'd go back and tell my 18-year-old-self to don't be a dimwit and dump that abusive jerk of a boyfriend and spend the rest of my uni years happy and unburdened by him. While I'm in the right time frame, I'd also tell myself not to bother studying Neuroscience lol.

I'd go back to my parents in 1995 and tell them to keep teaching me Chinese. It's not useless. Just because we're in England doesn't mean it's pointless to keep up with another language, esp one that's as difficult as Chinese!

I'm surprised no one's bothered to try and travel to the future with their time machine so far though O.O

As for something fun - I'd go and visit the Roman Empire! :D And see dinosaurs.

Anyway, there's not too much I'd do over again, and even the things I'd do over again are not so terrible, to be honest.

And I'd go back and stop people from boarding that Korean cruise. And also make sure Adolf Hitler became a recognised and appreciated artist so he never becomes embittered and never enters politics.

2. mg357

mg357 Active Member

If I had a time machine I would go back to September 7th 1923 and witness my Grandpa Charles George being born he died 7 years before I was born so I never got to meet him.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a dedicated hermit, i'm the farthest one can be from a 'dictator,' tt! :rolleyes:

if i were a dictator, i'd want humans to continue to exist, so i could rule them...

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@mammamaia : The depths of your nihilism scare me :)

5. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Weeell, killing people (or making them cease to exist anyway) is a form of controlling the people, so... :D

Btw, 'hermit' is a term that needs redefining: you're in constant contact with people via the internet, but if you exclude yourself from real life contacts... what does that make you? An IRL hermit/e-cosmopolitan?

jazzabel and minstrel like this.
  6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So what decade really does align itself to the flip of a ten year digit? All of what Ed says is true, too, of course, and it underscores the necessity to home in on spcific dates in period writing. It does make me smile a wry smile when someone posts for details of society in the nineteenth century (for example). Not only exactly when, but also where.

The June and Ward Cleaver America is also a part of the 1960s, a white, prosperous, middle-class America secure in a suburban dream (but with civilians building bomb shelters and learning to identify overhead planes, lest they be enemy bombers). This, too, was the sixties.

7. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

I would go back and do better in high school. Be more sociable. Be more mature. My life would be so much easier.

Poziga likes this.