If You Like To Help Others, Be Humble About It

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MainerMikeBrown, Oct 22, 2014.

1. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

It depends what constitutes bragging. I know a few people who do a lot of charity work and volunteering and they do talk about it often, but that's natural because it's essentially their hobby. Other people talk about sport, or books they've been reading or restaurants they've been to, but if charity work is what fires a person up that's obviously what they're going to talk about. Of course, it would be very easy to interpret simple discussion as bragging if it was something you were sensitive about, like if you feel guilty about not doing enough yourself or you don't support the charities in question. I'm not saying that's what's happening in this case, it's just that people who genuinely do charity work don't tend to be twats, so it seems unusual for them to actually be bragging.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I found myself putting together a couple of bags to give to the local food bank the other day, and being suddenly so overcome with rage that I could hardly see straight.

Of course I don't mind at all, donating to folks who are having a hard time, but the fact that the people running this country are perfectly happy for people like me to stump up so people less fortunate than me can not starve? We already pay taxes to take care of this.

But of course the government prefers to spend our tax money on stuff that makes THEM even richer. They hold shares in military hardware, and spend taxpayer's money feeding their own profits. They create a way for the NHS to fall into private hands, then invest in the companies the taxpayers will then be paying out more to. They drive expensive cars, send their kids to expensive schools, live in huge mansions, retire with pensions that are higher per year than most of us have in our savings/house and other assets combined–and claim personal 'expenses' for things that are totally not warranted (like second homes, astronomical 'refurbishment costs' for homes they don't even live in, and will sell on eventually.) And because it's an old boys' network—with the foxes guarding the henhouse—they get away with it? Just not good. Not good at all. They are exploiting our middle class charitable good will, and creating abject misery for so many others.

The rich love charities, because it means they don't have to take responsibility themselves.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    minstrel and Shadowfax like this.