1. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

Too messy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lae, Oct 28, 2014.

I've been reading quite a bit of news latey. I've been getting the impression that the world a bit haywire at the moment. Not sure as to the cause.

I'm usually an advocate of nations working together etc etc but lately I've been getting this nagging feeling that the Uk (and the rest of the world in truth) is getting too messy. I usually have many projects on at the same time, be it drawing, working on the motorcycles or writing but every now and then i consolidate and sort stuff out, clear my head a bit.

Annoyingly hardly any nation seems to sort problems out, just reduce or replace.

When i have a lot on in the house, i dont start clearing the garden. Nothing would ever get done.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Messiness comes in waves with small breaks to catch one's breath. I remember messiness and the social panic it engenders in the 70's with the oil crisis and the hostage crisis and Reagan came and looked like a savior, and we had a small break to breathe. But that break was short and I remember the messiness of impending nuclear war, America and Russia each with their hand over the BIG RED BUTTON and would it hurt to be vaporized? That thought came into my young head more than once. And then there was a break. And then came HIV and AIDS and the panic that created in me as a gay man was crippling. And then there was a break....

3. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

I've read a bit about the cold war but i cant say that helps me imagine what people at the time were feeling.

Usually on my commute home, a little helmet time (motorcycle helmet....) lets me think a bit, today i contemplated making my world really small. Ignoring all around me except what i needed. Ignorance might indeed be bliss.

jannert likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Allow me to commiserate with you there. I can't watch the "news" anymore here in America. The local news, maybe, because it's just local mundanities, but the 6:00 pm news (traditional national news hour in the U.S.) is cranked to an 11 out of a possible 10 in intensity, and the "News Networks", all of them to be honest, regardless of what take one has on things, are deafening and give little reason to wonder why so many take some form of anxiety medication, prescribed or not.

le sigh...

jannert likes this.
  5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've largely stopped watching the news, and to be honest I've found myself better for it. I'll still watch it when I can and only if I'm particularly interested, and since stopping watching it I've found I'm a happier person. :confuzled:

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

This a thousand times. I'm a much happier man now that I've stopped watching the news. True that means I'm more ignorant about the events that are going on if I don't hear about here or in the Zelda Universe forum, but largely I'm a happier man for it. Why waste my time watching something that'll get me angry and depressed on the state of the world when I could spend it doing something that I actually enjoy?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Skyrim. Where my characters will have to put up with the political climate that exists within that game's universe. :p

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I find I can't watch news I know is biased ...which most of it is. Just drives me around the twist. I get SO mad. So I don't watch it. I do read it, though. Selectively.

There is nothing wrong with taking a break from all the negativity. Otherwise you just go under, don't you?

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

You sure do! I used to read the paper on the bus and train, but now I make sure I have a book on me. It's just more soulful than reading about Kate Price, or how UKIP has said EU migrants cause wars or something.

jannert likes this.
  9. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

UK news obsessed with fear of foreigners and political class is too weak to confront myth and bigotry, is distressing.

Once we leave the EU I'm turning Dutch and shall seek asylum in Rotterdam.

10. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

A tad difference between then and now: you didn't have religious radicals wanting to see the world burn.

11. Wreybies

Well, it wasn't meant as a comparison so much as evidence of a continuum. I have to live with those religious radicals wanting to burn the world too, man. :unsure: I'm still here. And you and I are pretty close in age, assuming your posted age is your real age (I never assume) so, I think you can remember these things from our temporally shared childhoods. But I hear what you mean. I'm not returning to the mainland U.S. until this current open carry obsession/statement/fetish/whatever is over and past. That's too far over the crazy line for me, and I'm a gun owner.

minstrel and jannert like this.
  12. Russo

Russo New Member

The news, here in the US, is nothing but hog wash (in kinder terms). I refuse to watch the news for the fact that I'm allergic to...bull-...*ahem*...hog wash. That being said, the world has been in a big mess for a while, it's been a mess my entire life, so far, and even before that I'm sure.

13. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Aren't you special. Considering that concealed weapon permit holders are statistically , as a group, the most law-abiding people in the US, one wonders why you're cowering in Puerto Rico.

14. Wreybies

Though I've been in this river long enough to spot bait when I see it, I'll bite. The group you described is me. The federal agents with whom I go to the range wouldn't invite me otherwise. The group I described is other. I moved back to PR in 2007 having taken advantage of the peek of the housing bubble to sell and flip up, like really up. Sometimes things happen for reason outside the paradigm one assumes has to be in play.

15. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

None of which was obvious from your previous post. I'm happy you made money on your house, and I'll welcome you back anytime, but my point was (not obvious either, maybe) that the 'current open carry obsession/statement/fetish/whatever is over and past' isn't going to happen (and I don't know why it frightens you), so if that's what you're really waiting for, you may as well come on back now.

16. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Oh yeah, I didn't know it put in my b-day. That's my age.