1. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Ilari's journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by IlaridaArch, Nov 19, 2015.

Hey all,

I wanted to make a thread for myself as well, as reading journals from other members here has been rather exciting. These journals somehow light up a fire with my own work. Guess reading the feelings of other writers kind of give me this sense of belonging. Or, "there are others that feel the same as I".

Nice to meet you all.

- Ilari

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. IlaridaArch

Just wrote of small short story that started of from an idea I got in the grocery store. Little more than 3100 words in total. Now that it's done, I don't think it as a good one so guess I simply put it in some folder to collect dust... ^^ Maybe go back and look at it some day.

3. IlaridaArch

Last five days been absolutely awful to even comprehend. I do everything else than actually write my own work. When I open up the word document, I freeze after putting down couple of words. Feels extremely shameful.

Here I am thinking I would like to write my own book, but am struggling to get past the first chapter. Regardless of doing huge amount of research and outlining all of the chapters. Feels like I'm just pretending to be writer.

4. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

If this is the first draft, allow yourself to write crap. Just write down whatever comes to mind. Write down the scene in your head as you see it and experience it. If that editor-voice comes out and tells you, "THAT SENTENCE IS CRAP! YOU SUCK!" tell that editor-voice to shut-up and crawl back in its cave.

You are in the writing phase, therefore the editor-voice should be far away from your writer-voice. The only time you bring in that editor-voice is when you are editing or revising. Never mix both. There are writers who edit as they go, but even they make a conscious effort of dropping the editor-voice when they need to create.

Here's a tip--

Before you start writing on your manuscript, give yourself 10 minutes of free-writing. Just type whatever comes to mind, don't correct any typos, just go write and write until you finish the 10 minute limit. This will at least lubricate your writer-voice and mute the editor-voice. Once you're done, begin on your manuscript.

Best of luck and keep writing!

IlaridaArch likes this.
  5. IlaridaArch

Yeah that's pretty much what happens. It's very off-putting and demotivating to let that editor-voice get the control... Thanks for the tip, I try that out next time I work on it.

6. IlaridaArch

Hahah, I am so bad at writing this journal. Well at least I post once in two months. ^^

I recently hit a smallish hiatus with my work, and like before it ignited from other aspects of my life. I decided to try and drop my IT studies, to reach out to radiology instead. Means I've been reading for the entry exams lately. The decision is right for myself, but it seems some people around me despise this move. It's hard to march forward when, someone is dragging you backwards. Wish they could just approve my decision, and support me with my own goals.

Like said, writing the story itself has been really slow lately, but on the other hand, I've done decent amount of worldbuilding and writing concepts about various things.

7. IlaridaArch

Good day with my work, got certain worldbuilding things cleared out and wrote ~1400 words on top of that. Good results with two hours of time, I think. Rough chapter going on, always takes some time to get out of it.