Tags:
  1. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Novel Art in books

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Daemon Wolf, Jul 27, 2015.

I remember reading older books were there would be a lot of pictures throughout the book. Hell even some modern ones have a lot of pictures in them. I was wondering how does that work? Does the Publisher decide or do you add it into your manuscript?

Also when would you add it? Is there a general time where you put in a picture of the scene or what?

I was thinking off adding art to my book (black and white obviously) preferably in a specific type of art form (kind of like the old Warhammer 40k books art. How it looks so wonky but nice).

2. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

I don't know how a publisher decides to add illustrations to a novel, but do know that if you're going to seek publication, never, never, never include artwork with the manuscript. The publisher wont want them and if they are going to include artwork, they will contract their own artist. Some publishers allow their authors a say in the choosing of the artist, others do not. It's the same with children's picture books. No illustrations with the manuscript. If you are going to self-publish, then it's a different story, of course. Also, I can tell you from experience that illustrators are not cheap and do not want to be paid with the promise of a percentage of your royalties.

3. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Then how would I bring up adding illustrations to my work with a publisher?