1. Yotam

Yotam Member

Guidance Require

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Yotam, Dec 2, 2011.

Since I am new in the forum, I think Introductions, first of all, would be a great way to start the topic.
    So… Hello. My name is Yotam Haddad, I am twenty-two years old young man from Israel, and aspires to be a successful author.

As I am close to finish the manuscript (That is the ward in English for this case, right?) for the “Part One Book”, of my fantasy, adventure novel, I also come close to the next step of: “Where I want to publish”. Which in other words: “The step I know nothing about, and really need help”.

Blame me for being a “Dreamer”, I still won’t back down from my goal to publish my book series abroad. Right now (When I’ll have the money) I plan to go to England and search there for publishing that will accept my manuscript. The problem is that I am not sure of how to do it.

I’ll probably use a Tourist visa that permits six months stay. With that time, as I see it, I’ll just send my manuscript – The copies which I brought with me – To publishings, and wait as long as I can for an answer.

If, by the long shot, I actually got it right then All Well. But if I missed some stuffs, this is where my request for all you Knowledgeable.

What are the steps for a foreigner young writer in the Great Britain?
    Which publishing should I turn over my manuscript based on it’s genres (Fantasy, Adventure)? Be glad and very much thankful for publishings list.
    How much copies of my manuscript should I send\ How much publishings should I…?
    What more do I need to know?

This may be much of a nuisance to deal with, but just with your good will to help I give you my sincere thank you.

2. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Wow, traveling in order to find a publisher. That seems a bit extreme. The only place I'd travel while trying to find an agent or publisher would be someplace with an internet connection so I could email my query. I wouldn't print and mail a manuscript unless the pulisher/ agent I was interested in absolutely didn't take email queries. If I had money to burn on writting I'd use it to pay an editor because having your manuscript in the best possible shape is very important. Or maybe I'd pay someone to write a great query letter for me since after more than two years of fine-tuning my query letter it still sucks.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's nothing to be gained by spending all that money on going to london, when agents and publishers don't see aspiring writers in person, but only read query letters and then decide if they want to request sample chapters or the full ms be sent to them... [still no in person meetings at that point!]...

and, no offense intended, but judging from the grammar goofs and glitches in your post, i have to wonder if your writing is really ready to be submitted...

4. Yotam

Yotam Member

First of all, I would like to thanks you for your comments.

I guess I should have said it within my first post… Since Hebrew is my mother tongue, and to avoid spelling mistake, I wrote my book in Hebrew. And after it gets professional editing, I also like to give it to professional translator before I’ll send it to the publisher.

AmyHolt
    Part of the reason I want to go to London, is the travel thing, but mostly for the book.
    Why I want to go so far? Being a writer (As I’ve read) is really hard, and as I see in this small country, in Israel, it’s even sad and far from worth it no matter what’s your career status.

If you can give me tips on how to get in touch and spark the interest of a publishing that’s not in my country, I’ll very much be glad to hear about that. Also, can you guide me on how to write a good query letter?

Thanks you very much.
    Yotam.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I agree that there's no reason to travel for the purpose of trying to get your book published. It could easily take years for you to gradually learn what agents and publishers want and how your writing could fit into those requirements. You can't afford to stay for years, and there's also no purpose in living somewhere for years when your communication be entirely by mail (unless and until your work is accepted) anyway.

If for some reason you believe that a publisher will object to foreign postage, you could make arrangements to forward your queries through someone in the country, for far less expense than actually moving there yourself. But I've never heard that there is any objection to foreign queries.

Traveling for the purpose of traveling makes perfect sense, but then I wouldn't suggest that you waste a lot of time mailing queries and fussing with forwarding addresses; just enjoy your travel.

ChickenFreak

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

do you have any idea how costly it will be to have it edited and then translated?... and that after spending all that money, the chances your book will interest an agent or publisher are slim to none?...

sorry to be so blunt, but that's the harsh reality of the writing/publishing business...

as for tips on publishers and query letters, that's putting your cart miles before the horse... you must have a completed, polished, marketable ms to offer before getting to that stage...

same goes for traveling... besides, as noted above, it will do you no good to go to london or ny or any other major publishing center, since in-person meetings come after you've submitted your work by mail or email... and even then, it's not necessary to meet with your agent or publisher 'in the flesh'...

in re submitting by post from another country, that's done all the time, so is no problem, as the poster above mentioned...