Tags:
  1. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

im completly new.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by heyharris1, Sep 28, 2007.

Hello all, i am completly new to the world of writing, as a matter of fact in high school i hated to write, probably because i have never understood half of the stuff. I hate to say it i actually failed english my sophmore year, i think the only reason they passed me my senior year is because they new i was going into the military. Anyways i love to read, go figure. Some of my favorite writers, of course tolkein, lord of the rings, terry brooks, the shannara series, any many more. I have always liked fantasy, dungeon and dragons type writing. Enough of my rambling on. I have decided to write a novel. I have had a plot and sub plots running through my mind for awhile now. I feel that even though my writing isint probably up to par with 80% of the people here, i have a wealth of knowldge, just from reading so many fantasy novels, and how they are executed.Currently i am almost 10,000 words into my novel at the moment,And am hoping to keep up the pace i am going.Eventually i plan on putting parts and peices on here to get reviewed.I do know i will get the "your hopeless, if you cant stand writing then how are you going to write a book comments". Either way, if i pass or fail the test, i will have giving it 100% effort. I have also read alot of the post and there are some really smart people here the way they look at different sentence structure. i cant wait till you all start reading my work and giving your opinions.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to the forums. Enthusiasm, I think, is one of the most important qualities for writing novels, and you certainly seem to have that. Things like grammar can be learnt, but the devotion to finish a novel length work has to be within you. I hope you enjoy the site, and that we can offer you the help you're looking for. I feel obliged to mention that before you can post up your own work you are required to critique two other pieces (purely as a means of being fair with reviews), and if you are unsure about how to go about that, then there are resources available on reviewing. Other than that, take a look around and get stuck in. If you have any questions or run into any difficulties, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm always happy to help.

3. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

sounds great i have no problem reading other's people work. and telling them what i think

4. chloe.spencer

chloe.spencer New Member

Welcome to WF. =)

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Great to have to you here. If you have any questions then ask away, we'd try to help best we can. See you around the site and enjoy yourself here!

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. It is most wonderful to have you here among us. I hope that you enjoy yourself whilst you are here and I look forward to seeing you around the boards in the very near future.
    There is a lot to get involved in around the forum. We have weekly contests that run in the weekly writing groups so I hope that you take a look and join in.
    Also you will find a link to the newbie packet in my signature that holds so further information.
    Anyway have fun and see you around the board.

Torana

7. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome! I hope you like it here. Have fun and don't hesitate to ask for help.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Um...I'm somewhere...but I don't quite know where.
    Wahooo! There's more than one person attempting to write a novel!
    Good luck with it. If you're enthusiastic, you'llprobably do really well with it. SPF (Spelling, Grammer and Functuation!) can always be edited and improved afterwards - what else are computers for?

Lone Wolf

9. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

I've had this plot , and sub plots running around for a long time, i figure i beter stop thinking and start writing, thats when i decided to find a forum for more guidance than anything, the plot and sub plots are already done. The character's , how they act,look, even talk, is all done. i just hope i can get correct sentence structure and put paragraps where they are correctly needed.In time ,after i review some, fulfill my obligations, i will post bits and peices. dont wanna post it all. gotta keep some of the surprises.

10. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Happy belated welcome to the site! I hope you're settling in alright and that you'll forgive my very late welcome.

Its great to see your enthusiasm towards writing and personally I think its possibly better that you have a good plot and need to work on the grammatical side of things. Its much easier to fix the grammar, or find somebody who'll edit your work for you, than to come up with a good plot :)

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Harris, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!