1. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

I'm confused...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sophia_esteed, Nov 16, 2008.

Now that I've finished the opening section of my sci-fi novel, that is the prologue and chapter one, or rather chapter one and chapter two, I'm not sure as to how progress things.
    I thought I would dedicate chapter 3 to the heroes' parting from home, but wouldn't it be boring if I alternate sequences whose content is practically the same?
    So I'm a little confused. Should I stick to the original idea - that is one single novel till the end, or break it down into smaller parts, each part dedicated to the adventures of one or two characters?

2. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

Thanks.
    You're right, I posted too vague of a question.
    Here's how the book is structured so far.

Chapter 1 - Contains an introduction for all the main characters and also lays out the main plot through which the story will be developed.
    Chapter 2 - Follows from chapter 1, but also introduces several new characters and lays out the main sub-plot.
    Chapter 3 - Follows from chapter 2. It should contain the characters' parting from home and should function as the starting point for the development of the various sub-plots (3 so far).

At the beginning to be honest I thought I would follow a unique plot from beginning to end, but then, as I went on writing, new characters and situations were born and the story began to look more and more like "LOST", with one main plot developed through several smaller sub-plots. That's why I'm confused as how to face such a complicated task, while using the written medium in which one doesn't have the visuals to help...

EDIT: on a side note, the idea is to merge a war story with a spy story, all set in a fictional sci-fi-like universe.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

If the three leave separately, I'd suggest only showing one leaving. Three scenes in a row that are essentially the same can get tedious. It's also more interesting if you focus on one character.

4. moneymakermj

moneymakermj New Member

Write it...

... see where it takes you or where the characters take you. Then refine the structure during the editing.

There are different structural ways to go... but it will be difficult without really knowing your characters journey. At least, that's how is works for me.

I do like the idea of two separate character stories that will tie together at the end.

Just a thought...

5. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Keep writing what you want..

Don't let the lack of visuals keep you from writing it the way you want. The best advice i ever heard about writing, along with keeping it simple, was to visualize everything in your mind like a movie. Once you see the "movie scene" you just put onto paper what the people are doing...but don't forget to put thought processes into your paragraphs, with first person thoughts thrown in some to add some seasoning. Once that is done, things should work out the way you want.

6. architectus

architectus Banned

Another book that does this well is Swan's Song, and I think it is even better than The Stand.

I call them soap opera books.