1. Finhorn

Finhorn New Member

I'm doing something wrong. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Finhorn, Apr 3, 2011.

While I'm doing reviews of people work I like to use colors. I'm finding however that more and more often they are displaying correctly for the first two or three paragraphs and then just as the tags. I've hardly ever seen this happen to others so I figure I'm doing something wrong. (An example --LINK REMOVED seeing as I've corrected it - Finhorn--)

I thought it was either a product of post preview or copying text out of word but I've tried it with or without both and am having the same problem. My only other guess is that I'm using colors to many times and the software has some kind of a counting thing per thread built in.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong and solutions would be appreciated.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The FAQ mostly deals with how to post, including the use of colors, quoting, emphasis, etc.

It's one of the Important Links on the home page of the site.

3. Finhorn

Finhorn New Member

[noparse]Rereading the instructions, I discovered the problem. It's in the forum programming. Now that I understand it however, it won't be a problem any longer.

I tend to write what I want, then go back and do the color highlighting. The process seems cleaner to me that way but also caused my problem. When you click the text color button (the "A" on top of the text box) it shows and makes everything Sea Green until it finds [/COLOR.]

The second time you click the button (without editing the text first) the bracket reads , which is the color combination for Sea Green. These instructions normally tell the computer how much red, green, and blue to use in the text. This would allow for the creation of custom colors. It however doesn't work or has been disabled. So when the computer comes across a color tag it can't read, it displays the full tag instead.

By going back through my posts and replacing "rgb(46, 139, 87)" with "SeaGreen" it fixes my problem.

The instructions I had read and was referred to (https://www.writingforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode#color) say to use an "Option." My confusion came from believing that rgb() was an option though I know now it was not.[/noparse]

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Which browser are you using? I found that this problem started happening to me when I switched from FireFox to Chrome. With FireFox, clicking the button the second time would still use the colour name rather than the code.

1 person likes this.
  5. Finhorn

Finhorn New Member

That's interesting I am using Chrome. I like the setup better than others but if it's doing silly things like this perhaps I'll go back to Firefox. Thanks.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i use color all the time and never have any trouble... i either choose the color and then type my text between the brackets, or type the text, highlight it and then hit the color button...

works like a charm!