1. Protar

Protar Active Member

More Harry Potter Books

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Protar, Jul 18, 2011.

So the last Potter film is out now, i'm going to see it tonight. But it got me thinking, will there be more Potter books? Should there be? The Encyclopedia is confirmed and I'm sure J.K said somewhere she'd love to do more. Now personally I don't want to see Harry and Co's kids in their own series. It would just be magic kids at magic school, too much like last time. And after all voldemort is dead so he's going to be a hard villain to top. There are two ideas I would like to see however.

The first is a series about the four founders of Hogwarts. I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to know how the gang got together and it would be a new begging: Vastly different in style and tone, much more epic fantasy and without the usual restriction of prequels because of the time distances.

Secondly is a series on the first wizarding war. We know very little of what happened in it that doesn't relate to Harry, and it'd let J.K expand on minor or posthumous characters.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

2. hyperchord24

hyperchord24 Member

Wouldn't publishers be dying for her to write more? It's like printing money.

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm looking forward to the encyclopedia--I really love seeing all the behind-the-scenes stuff, the thoughts that go into writing a book but never actually make it in--so that will be cool.

As far as more books go......I'm torn. I think you're right about going back being the way to go, because I definitely think reading about the four founders or following Dumbledore as he grows up would be more interesting than reading about Harry's kids. However, I wouldn't want Rowling to write more HP stories just because she felt the fans wanted more...

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I don't think there needs to be anymore. If she did, it would just be dragging it out too much, and it would spoil the series that in my opinion is already complete, even if it were Harry's children or whatever. It might be interesting if she wrote one of the books from a different perspective, say from Sirius' point of view in Azkaban. But otherwise, I don't see the point.

5. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I think a prequel series that explores the story behind the four founders could have tremendous potential. It'll be very different to a story about a boy wizard going to a wizarding school, but still have the link that'll ensure millions of sales.

Yip the adventures of Albus Severus Potter is definately a huge turnoff. May it never come to be. At least not for another twenty years. I can somehow see this being picked up in a few decades and the story continuing.

6. Protar

Protar Active Member

@ Eunoia I'm not really sure how one could write a book consisting of twelve years in a cramped cell but yeah I agree that a new direction must be taken.

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I hadn't really thought about it. It was just an example, I haven't read the books in a while and can't remember much of what happened. :p

8. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I think more books would be a bad idea. I don't want to see the series turned into a cash cow where the sequels get progressively worse. I like that there was a cap on the series from the beginning: "there will be seven books, no more, no less."
    I would love to know more about the characters and what happens to them. I think Pottermore will probably cover a lot of that.

1 person likes this.
  9. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Don't worry. It's got about three months to go before the DVD is out and you can still cash in on the Harry Potter craze.

DVD box sets. Bluray. Whatever replaces Bluray.

10. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I would rather start from scratch with a next-big-thing. We have had Star Wars (re-release and prequel movies), Lord of the Rings, Twilight and Harry Potter, so what's the next big thing we're waiting in line for?

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'm working on it, dude. I'll let you know as soon as I get it published :)

12. Sundae

Sundae New Member

I thought Rowling said that there will be no more new books.

Should there be more books. Unless it's a fully fleshed out storyline, no. I think it jipps the reader to only give little bits and pieces here and there and in-between. I'd hate falling in love with a small piece only to find out that it will never be fully expanded. Pius, more books runs the risk of ruining the magic of superb series that has ended in a very satisfying way for many readers.

I wouldn't mind reading another series by Rowling though. However, I'd always compare it HP.

13. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Completely agreed. I'd love to learn more about the founders, Dumbledore's life, Tom Riddle's life (what was it like in the orphanage? etc), and that period between the battle of Hogwarts and the '19 years later' epilogue, but I don't think she should write more books. Encyclopedias, absolutely. Short stories via Pottermore, yes please. But I think she's perfect with what she's got, and adding any books to it could mess it up.... I just don't want to take that chance.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How about the founding of Hogwarts? How Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin formed an alliance, decided to build a school to study and teach the principals of magic, and the rivalries that tore them apart.

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I would love to read something like that. There's so many facets of the Wizarding World to explore, JK Rowling would never run out of material.

16. PenandPencil

PenandPencil New Member

No way. They were a great series of books, and as Nelly Furtado says, all Good Things come to an End.

Seriously though, it has to stop somewhere. And as much as I'd love another one (or 6) it's best put it to sleep. There is no reason for it to carry on either. Is there?

Oh, and I too am looking forward to Pottermore (is that it?) It's a great idea :D

17. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Lmao. And Sheryl Crow says: If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. :p

18. whitefairy24601

whitefairy24601 New Member

Well, other people may have said it, but I don't think she should say what will happen, but what has. If that isn't confusing, I would love to see more of what happened before Harry's time, and have the history we already know a bit on be expanded on. But I don't want to see what happened after Harry- sorry Potter children.

19. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

I don't give a flying piece of monkey dung about the potters and the weaslys that would be an identical series of horribleness.

However a novel about an older Ted Lupin, would be nice. As he can change his appearance and the like(as it was for Tonks) and I simply think it would give us a refreshing look at a not-so-chosen-one average wizard life.

20. Heather

Heather New Member

I would be definatly be interested if there was stories about the founders of Hogwarts - how they set up the school, decided who to teach, any obstacles along the way, why Slytherin decided to breaka away etc etc.

I would also be interested in learning more about Dumbledore, like a biography sort of thing. I know Rita Skeeter wrote one of his following his death - it would be interesting if Rowling published that, as it was intended for wizards (sort of like she did with The Tales of Beedle the Bard).

Even though I don't massivly want to read about Harry's kids, my Post-Potter depression is so high right now I would gladly read anything which continued the magic :redface:

1 person likes this.
  21. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Rita Skeeter's book is like 900 pages and is full of falsity.

22. Heather

Heather New Member

I'd still read it, just bearing in mind it is from a horrible, biased view-point :)

23. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

JK Rowling finished her series. It's done. While it might be nice to see another story or two set in the same world, I think it's time for everyone to go look for the next thing. Look at it this way: If everyone stayed with Tolkien, Rowling would never have happened. If everyone stays with Rowling, the next great fantasy writer won't happen. And it might be one of you.

1 person likes this.
  24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, I would most assuredly rather see what else can grow from Ms. Rowling's lively imagination.

25. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    Once a series is done, it is done. Making any more Harry Potter books would just ruin the whole thing. It would be the same mistake as Star Wars (sorry star wars fans)