1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

Saddam to hang within the hour-ish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferret, Dec 30, 2006.

So the Dictator of Iraq has been sentenced to death...by hanging. All legal manauvers avaible to him are gone. I heard that his death is going to televised... I'm not sure of that.
    So I have no problem with his dying...but what the Hell? Hanging? Damn...how..."vulgar-uncivilized" is that shit?

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Not for Him.
    He's evil and evil needs stamping out. What he did to innocent people is just sick and I am glad that they chose to take his life from him by hanging. Many may disagree with me But when you've seen true suffering from this kind of Evil dictator you'll understand.

I will be happy to know this man is dead. Who knows one day these evil people will become a thing of history.

~Raven.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Evil becoming a thing of history? Oh ho, surely you jest.

Evil will always be there. You can't fight evil. You can't have a war on terrorism. Sure, you can fight little acts of evil and stop certain acts of terrorism- but there is no way to have a war on the very concept of these things, to attempt and exterminate the idea of pain and misery.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if Saddam is hanged. I don't find it too disgusting- I lose all pity for him after seeing what he did. But I'm not one of the people going "woo yay Hussein's gonna get the noose whoopee hooray". It doesn't matter. Living your life in jail is as much of a life as death is. It affects none of us in any way whether he dies or not.

In short: I really don't care about this topic.

4. Fiesty Kel

Fiesty Kel New Member

I have 'issues' with the death penalty, but Saddam was so evil. Mixed feelings reading reports the hanging has been completed.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

So he has officaly died...

6. Fiesty Kel

Fiesty Kel New Member

According to news sites, it has been confirmed by the Iraqi Government that the hanging has taken place.

7. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Who wants to take bets on when the video is leaked onto the internet?

8. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

9. Raven

Raven Banned

Now Justice has been served, for all those victims of his reign.
    All those people he gased finally though they are dead have their justice. The only way this Evil could be dealt with was by execution.

I don't belive in killing people but I do believe in exercuting those that do not desrve to breath.

~Raven.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the sad thing is, justice was not achieved for the vast majority of his victims, because he was only tried for one of the smaller massacres he ordered...

many, many more surviving victims and families of those murdered will never have their day in court... not in facing and judging a living saddam, that is... some of his partners in crime still will be tried, but it's unfortunate that he won't have to face most of his accusers... hanging him so quickly gave him a pass...

the kurds, for one, may be rejoicing his death, but mourning the loss of their chance to have their suffering laid at his feet in an open court...

11. Jack The Ripper

Jack The Ripper Banned

Maybe so but I think its better he's dead now than the chance of his rescue from the impending civil war.
    OK they wont have a day in court to face him but at least they know he has been tried and put to death for something. those that got gased will have really suffered.
    Like Hulls Raven I was a soldier and i served in places where the things we saw still give me bad dreams.

So I have to say I'm glad Saddam is dead.

Your Old pal Jacky

12. newguy

newguy New Member

Over all
    Burn in hell

13. Robert

Robert Banned

Then stop kidding yourself. You believe in killing people.

Cheers,
    Rob

14. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

15. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

lmfao! :D :D .....................:eek:

On a side note, I can't see the point in having the victims' families face him in court as mammamaia has said. It would only give him the opportunity to mock them. He is, or was, mad, after all.
    He was defiant of the systematic process of justice right until the bitter end. He would not have shown any remorse whatsoever according to his public outbursts in that courtroom.

What I want to know is, what exactly would be going through his, or anyone else's mind when you're literally feet and seconds from the place and time of your own execution (other than, "oh shit!"). I'm not morbid, I found the video footage really creepy. But his repressed look of terror I found intriguing.

As an analogy, one can be as mad as a can of worms, but that doesn't detract a madman from still having a conscience.

16. Robert

Robert Banned

I don't think he was mad. In the context of the society he grew up in, his behaviour is not that difficult to understand. It doesn't require madness.

Cheers,
    Rob

17. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Oh come on! Killing many people is an act of sheer madness in any society. Madmen know what they're doing. They just don't give a shit, especially with Saddam.

18. Robert

Robert Banned

Then perhaps our definitions of madness differ.

The newspaper was full of write-ups about him today, written in advance of his execution. Some of what was written was quite interesting. For example, it reports the tale of how, when he was young, someone in his native village was berated for walking unarmed, "Why do you affront God by walking without a weapon and thereby cause violence by tempting people to attack you?" It also talks about him being given his first gun at the age of 7. And how 20 years after killing his first victim he returned to the victim's family and handed over blood-money in accordance with tribal tradition.

That particular article is here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2523647,00.html

As I say, placed in context, I don't think he was necessarily mad. But your definition of mad and mine might well differ.

Cheers,
    Rob

19. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Same tabloids reported him sitting in a nice comfy chair with a big, fat cigar in one hand and a huge glass of wine in the other.
    Then he watched while his hemchmen fed a political rival slowly headfirst into a grinder...just for laughs.

Wanna debate some more on the semantics of madness and its origins?

We all have many reasons from our childhoods why we could kill someone.

20. Robert

Robert Banned

If it was reported in some tabloids, it must be true. You win.

No. It would consume too much time and neither of us would budge an inch on our opinions. Sooner or later the discussion would deteriorate into petty bickering and then open insults. And you'd still be wrong.

Prove it.

Cheers,
    Rob

21. Fiesty Kel

Fiesty Kel New Member

Most of us think terrorists are mad.. they don't. I can't get my head around how any of them think that taking lives balances things out or is the right thing to do... I guess its a good thing I cant understand it.

I don't know if those capable of what is, to me at least, pure evil, are mad. TO ME, it is madness, but is it? According to who? Maybe we all have different ideas or standards, and maybe its different to everyone. Obviously there is a huge discrepancy between what I and many terrorists think is right and wrong.

I cannot imagine what goes through his mind. I think he was arrogant enough to think he was a martyr for his cause, and I think he would have been proud of himself for that right to the end. I also think that surely on some level, he was absolutely terrified. THAT part to me is the justice part. Making him feel that terror.

I still can't feel okay with taking another life, I am not sure what it achieves for humanity. But I don't have a good alternative either... for some reason, simply imprisoning him would have worried me (escape, early release, whatever..)

22. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Robert, are you saying he wasnt a murdering bastard?

23. Raven

Raven Banned

Well i guess when you word it like that I do. (So I'll rephrase My words I believe in exercutinng those that are truly evil and deserving of the death penalty.)
    I know many of you will disagree with that but it is my feelings on the subject.

~Raven.

24. Fiesty Kel

Fiesty Kel New Member

I think that Raven & Jack, to have seen the result of his evil firsthand... I don't know, sort of makes me think the rest of us are just postulating really.

25. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Oh geez, not this again. Okay, just for you (and quoting you!):

Cheers,
    Max