1. A.I. Sajib

A.I. Sajib New Member

I'm looking for resources on basic grammar

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by A.I. Sajib, May 13, 2015.

Although the headline kind of says it all, I believe a little bit of context will be good.

I live in a non-English speaking country, but I have always been keen in writing in English mostly to reach a wider audience. My knowledge of English mostly came from TV series, movies, TV shows (reality shows, like it or not), cartoons, and news websites. Over the years, I have developed a strong sense of what's correct and what's not when it comes to English. I'm not bragging, but in my school, high school, and college, I've always managed to get A+ (80+ marks) in English subject without doing much real study.

Only now I know how big of a mistake that was.

Lately I've been realizing that my basics aren't good. I can correct most mistakes in a sentence, but I don't know why they are mistakes. Like I know "more beautiful" is correct and "beautifuler" is incorrect. But if you were to ask me why "beautifuler" is incorrect when we say "easier, faster", I wouldn't know the answer.

You might be surprised that I don't even know the classifications of noun, the definition of proverb, clause, etc. If you were to ask me whether this sentence is simple, complex, or compound, I wouldn't know.

I do have study material from the school, but they kind of start at nowhere. So I'm looking for a well-structured resources that will help me make my basic grammar in English stronger. Any idea, tips, resources that you can give me to accomplish that will be much appreciated. :)

Mike Hill likes this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Web surf, use more than one source to be sure you are getting valid advice. Some of the advice from GrammarBook, for example, isn't right. Purdue Owl is pretty good. Grammar Girl is usually OK.

3. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

I really feel you. I'm in a very similar situation. Good grades but problems with basics. I too don't know what noun means. I want to write in English because of larger audience too.
    Reading English books about subjects you are interested in really help.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Actually, your writing is pretty good already. The very best thing you can do is read. Read everything you can get your hands on that's written in English, and has a good reputation for good writing. You will get to instinctively feel what's right and what's wrong. I think that's a better way to learn than studying grammar books.

By the way, a proverb isn't a part of speech. It's "A brief, memorable saying that expresses a truth or belief, such as “A friend in need is a friend indeed.”

However, if something puzzles you, you could do worse than access the site below. It's really excellent. It's produced in the UK by Bristol University, but it's very easy to use, and the examples (and practice exercises) are top notch.

https://www.writingforums.org/resources/bristol-university-website.70/