1. Joshlyn

Joshlyn Member

So much time..

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Joshlyn, Aug 3, 2014.

Hello everyone.

So I am still a very new member, I did my 2 weeks and 20 posts and 2 critiques but then I was without internet for 2-3 weeks, maybe longer, I just know it felt like forever, but now I'm back up and running.

I need advice. I have so much time. I am in the process of quitting my current job (part-time in retail) because it's costing me more money in gas than I'm making. So this week I have lots of time and then after that even more time, but I'm lacking focus and motivation to write creatively. I definitely have the URGE, but there's not enough focus of my creativity to put something onto paper.

I'm super broke at the moment (as you can imagine), but is there any recommendations you can give me for channeling or sparking my creativity and motivation. Hell I'll be fine with a poem or two.

I'm currently reading "Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self" by Danielle Evans. I just finished "Battleborn" by Claire Vaye Watkins.

2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Many here would kill for the problem of having too much time, but my suggestion would be to spend that gas money driving to and from the library, and use your extra time reading whatever they have.

Mike Hill likes this.
  3. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

To focus your creativity maybe try writing for a specific theme. For some reason, whenever I do the contests on this forum, having to come up with an idea that fits with the current contest theme sparks my creativity. It narrows the possibilities which, oddly, helps. Plus there's a time limit to submit, about two weeks, which also helps.

Good luck! And oh, yeah, I understand being super broke. It's distracting. It's difficult to focus on writing when all you can think about is the credit card bill that's due in three days. :( Maybe to take some of that stress away, do something to find a new job every morning, that way you'll have more hope and you won't feel guilty about spending the remainder of your day writing.

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Perhaps it would be easier if you spend time deciding upon where you wish to focus your writing. Commentary, satire, comedy, fiction, erotica and so forth. It is hard to be inspired when you lack a more definite concept and objective.

5. tionA

tionA Active Member

you need to rope yourself a guy to help you with them bills. then you can concentrate on getting your creative juices flowin'.

6. Novalee Phoenix

Novalee Phoenix New Member

Honestly, just about anything can spark creativity in me and give me ideas. Mainly it comes from reading, watching TV or movies or listening to music. But sometimes it comes randomly and can hit you at any moment. It usually happens at night for me. But I would say go to the library and pick up some new books and movies, listen to the radio, and see what happens.

If the creativity is just not coming and you are finding you are lacking motivation, which happens to me as well, don't sweat it. If you can get yourself to write, try maybe just writing down what pops into your head, doing a stream of consciousness. This could help get your mind working and get you writing something at least, and it might even give you an idea or two.

Hope this helps. Happy writing!

7. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

I daydream, which is thankfully easy to do when I have extra time. Think of when you last did this seriously, like as a kid, using your imagination. Bam, you can open up the creative vault that way.

8. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

There is no such thing as "too much time". This idea is a deadly delusion. None of us have enough time, if you think you have too much time then that is a warning sign that you are wasting your life. Please don't waste your life. Get passionate, now.

maskedhero likes this.