1. AmbzM

AmbzM New Member

Im new to writing and I am feeling very nervous

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AmbzM, Oct 15, 2016.

Hi everyone! :)

I have to say I think if id told myself a few years ago that I would find out that I have a passion for words and writing, I don't think I would have believed it. I got a lot of grief off teachers when I was younger for my spelling and for writing different words to the ones I was thinking. I found out when I was 22 that I was dyslexic.

I think if I am completely honest that due to not feeling confident with my writing, spelling and grammar, it has definitely prevented me from doing things i've wanted to do in the past. I am now 28 and something recently changed my way of thinking about what I am capable of. I found something I wanted to achieve and I told myself failure wasn't an option. I manage to teach myself computer programming skills, and in under two years (knowing nothing other than how to do the basic things on a computer before hand), i managed to teach myself enough skills which enabled me to get myself a job as a Junior Web Developer.

After setting myself and goal and managing to achieve it due to never giving up, I have now told myself my new goal to to improve my grammar, writing and spelling. As I am a very creative person, I cant think of a better way for me to achieve this than through creative writing. So I am a beginner of all beginners. :)

Thank you for reading my post! Constructive criticism is welcomed with my writing by the way! (Don't be mean though please).

2. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

First of all, welcome! (Says the person who's only been here two days herself. XD) I may be new to the forum, but I'm not so new to writing. Been writing on and off for as long as I can remember (mostly off though, if I'm to be completely honest).

Creative writing can be tough, but I believe anyone who tries hard enough can be a good writer. You won't be that good at first, might even be terrible, but it's like any other skill, if you keep practicing, you'll get better! Just don't throw anything away. Someday you may look over it and cringe, but remember 'hey, I actually like this part of it, let's try that again'.

3. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Hello!

You certainly have a good introduction. You're also very brave. I personally aspire to worsen my grammar, writing and spelling.

You tackled programming from scratch by yourself. That is excellent! I'm studying C++, so I know how challenging that is. You can turn to that as a reminder of what you can do to overcome obstacles. Confidence comes from devoting yourself to useful things, like programming. I hope you get published and on the best sellers' lists and those teachers see you in there some day soon.

Is that a pet rat you have?

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I tried running from the grammar Nazis, but you can never quite escape them. :supergrin:

Welcome to the forum. The hardest part of writing is editing.

So pound those keys, spill your imagination on the page. Good luck with your beginning works. :supersmile:

bang-head-on-keyboard.gif~c200.gif When you hit 50,000 words and it seems to never end, that is because you are still at the beginning. :superlaugh:

5. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Every time I review my work, I find ways to make it better. At some point, I need to call it done and start submitting it. Getting those rejection emails becomes expected. I think this site is already helping me critique how I say things. I'm so glad to have found it. I have to be careful I spend more time on my novel, than in here. Welcome from another Newbie!