Tags:
  1. iseult_monet

iseult_monet New Member

I'm not sure my story really has a plot...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by iseult_monet, Jan 23, 2008.

I just joined this site like 5 minutes ago so first of all: hello all! I'm a notorious story-starter from Ohio. I never finish anything that's not for class (I'm an anthropology major). But this time, I'm really, really going to try because for once, I actually know the ending! So here's a one sentence summary of my novel idea (bit of a pun there):

A young 1-Hour photo clerk deals with her quirky co-workers and their complicated, melodramatic lives as well as their store's first steps into the world of digital photography, and, eventually, her crippling anxiety disorder.

Basically, it's going to be her rather sarcastic and hopefully hilarious (when I set my sights, I set them high darn it!) inner commentary on the world around her until she's forced to recognize her complete avoidance of all social situations for what is: agoraphobia.

My question is: Does that sound like an actual plot to you? I'm an avoider of conflict in real life and apparently, according to various CW professors, in my writing as well. So I thought I'd get an opinion before I started for once. I'm also concerned it might be cliche, boring, and possible obnoxious so, you know, don't refrain from commenting if you hate the whole idea. Thanks very much!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, technically, it is a plot. It has characters, it has a chronology, and it has a central conflict to resolve.

Whether it's a good plot or a bad one depends entirely on how skillfully it is written. A skillful enough writer can make a great story out of someone watching a rainstorm.

3. Aether

Aether New Member

Your avatar scares me Cogito.
    What's your name. I think it sounds cool. I've even got ideas for this but wont put anything forward, it's your story and should stay that way. As Cogito said, it has a storyline cause it has all the thingys that need to be there. I really don't think much about anything when it comes to writing. I just relax and let my imagination take me to extraordinary places. To me it sounds very, Days of our Lives. You could do so much with this but please don't tell me that an aunt's lover was killed in a plane crash but actually lived because the explosion sent him hurtling towards a ski resort and lost his wallet so when he came round and had amnesia he couldn't be identified only to regain his memory miraculously and find his lover is actually getting married to a male model named Thad and that they have three children and he is ruining their wedding because everyone thought he was dead and the aunt is crying and doesn't know which man to choose but in the end chooses Thad and they live happily ever after while the lover wanders aimlessly until he finds an asian hooker named Ling Ling who can only say love you long time and that's how he gets revenge on his ex-lover until he is arrested and his ex-lover decides to run off with her ex-lover to the same ski resort and they live happily ever after until Thad finds and kills the lover.
    Hmmm, went a bit too far there. Still, I find this concept to be original and can be expanded to astronomical proportions. :-D
    Good luck with that. :-Dd

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first thing that jumps out at me is the 'eventually'... why eventually'?

second is the agoraphobia, since, if she really has it, she sure wouldn't be out there working as a clerk in a store!...

agoraphobia is not merely an 'avoidance of all social situations'... it's a crippling fear of the outdoors, crowds, open areas, etc., a total inability to leave the perceived safety of one's home to go anywhere... it was coined by a shrink back in 1871, from 'agora' which is the greek word for the 'open space'... what ancient greeks called the market place... the root word, 'ageirein' means 'to assemble'...

so, for starters, you need to deal with that aspect of your plot and find a disorder for your protagonist that will make better sense... basically, if she has 'a crippling anxiety disorder' i don't see how she could keep a job that requires her to deal with the public, let alone be involved in all her co-workers' lives...

as for a plot, i hardly ever disagree with cog, but i don't see one there... yet... just what could only be a pastiche, a sort of patchwork quilt made up of all the employees' various quirks/situations/etc.... to get to a plot, you'll have to have a beginning, a middle and some resolution at the end... and all you have here is that she 'deals' with this and that, without getting anywhere...

love and hugs, maia

5. Aether

Aether New Member

Ooh! *sizzle* that's gotta sting. Well, you know mammamaia does sorta have a point. It kinda doesn't have a storyline. But it easily could have one. Just let me think for a few and I'll have one for you quick snappy! :-D

If you ever need any help with your story, I can always help you. I mean, I'm finding this intriguing so just drop me an email or whatever and I'll gladly help you out yeah? Have fun writing! :-D

6. Shreyass

Shreyass New Member

mammamia gives them out hot doesn't she? :p Yeah, you have a lot of comedy situations there, but nothing HAPPENING, some central theme, or you could, maybe, work the store's first steps into digital photography as the central theme, but I think you should find something more important that would seem central to a reader. Good luck.

7. Aether

Aether New Member

Yeah, mammamaia serves it out how I like... full of goo, mission goo. Lol. But whenever I ask for critique I can never get good stuff like she can dish out.
    :p
    Anyway, a central theme is easy to find. As confucious say, "one who look inside him soul, will find central theme for photo clerk story ideea."
    SEE! RIGHT HERE ON THE FORTUNE COOKIE! :-D

8. mammamaia

gee, aether, i didn't mean to ignore you!:redface:... but have you ever asked me for my 'good stuff'???... or does your work have violent content, so i couldn't help?...

tell you what, if you send me a page or two with no violence in it, i'll rip it to shreds for you, just like i do for everyone else, ok?:D

love and hugs, m
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

9. Aether

Aether New Member

No, I was just saying other people I ask for critique never give me good shreds like you can give... and, uh, my writing? I don't think there's a page without violence! EXCEPT ONE! XIII Samurai: Recreate.
    I think I can sorta maybe trust you, now keep in mind that I'm still a beginner and this is my second ever piece of writing... *shifty eyes* meet me in the back alley at the stroke of midnight, and make sure you're not followed... I don't want some people getting their filthy claws on my beautiful beauty.
    lol. :-D

10. mammamaia

too bad about the violence in your writing, but if you want to send me that single 'clean' page, i'll be happy to shred it for you... ;-)

hugs, m

11. Aether

Aether New Member

How come you don't shred violent bits? I'm just asking. But why?

12. mammamaia

i made a vow over a dozen years ago, when i dropped out of the material world, that i'd never again aid or abet the use of violence for entertainment... i haven't and won't...

obviously, that doesn't include non-fiction, where actual events are being written about and the main goal is sharing the experience and what was gained/learned from it, not entertaining the readers...

13. Aether

Aether New Member

Hmmm, sounds like something Rock Lee would say.
    Well, uh. Good for you mammamaia. It's good that you stick with your beliefs! :-D

14. SunshinePenguin

SunshinePenguin New Member

Well, if you delve into the personal life of your main character, as it seems that you will, I belive that it looks fairly good. Its a good set-up, and the possiblities are endless. Post up some stuff when you get it done, for I do think you should start it, and the critique will of course be much more thorough. Also, WELCOME! Don't worry all to much about it, but if you get to self-conscious over it, you may end up trying for to MUCH conflict, which is not good either. It is your writing, and if it feels right to you, then so be it. I am sure it will work out fine.

15. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I don't think you have to have all of the classical elements of plot to have a story. Look at the majority of J.D. Salinger's writing. Characters are key there, with plot taking a back seat. I think it's an interesting idea for a story, and provided you keep the interactions between your characters interesting, you don't have anything to worry about plotwise.

16. mammamaia

i've no idea who rock lee is, but it's good that you can respect my beliefs, even if way different from your own...

extra hugs, m