1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

What Would Say Is Your Staple Diet?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Dec 17, 2011.

For example chinese staple food is rice.
    from a nutritional point of view would you say it is a good thing to have a basic staple food or is it not a good thing?
    what is yours?

2. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Meat.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hehe..straight forward.
    What about fish?

4. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Yes, I do consider fish meat though. I cheat this time of year but stay on the Atkin's Diet all of the rest of the year. It works for me. Meat, cheese and eggs, all you can eat.

5. Pea

Pea super pea!

Pizza. Tea of any kind. Alcohol. Sliced meat and the leafy things that go on sandwiches. Apples.

That's all I can think of atm... my diet isn't too healthy.

6. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

If I didn't live with parents (hopefully won't after six months or so), I'd eat much healthier food. I always look and read what I am buying. Most of what is sold is so full of unhealthy crap that I don't see how it can be called food at all. And it is just getting worse and worse. You have to pay a lot more for healthy food. Its all just so ridiculous...
    I prefer eating what is fresh (vegetables, fruits, etc.); muesli; clean meat of any kind, eggs; rice, potatoes, macaronis and similar food; black bread; juice that actually is made of real fruit, not the chemical shit they tend sell a lot, also water; milk and milk products; occasionally some sweet stuff.
    Something I haven't drank in years - coffee and tea and cocoa - first one the longest. Anything that stimulates you being up, not falling asleep so easily, is not healthy. I stopped and will never start again. Simply a waste of money.

I actually care about my health.

7. blandmanblind

blandmanblind Member

I cannot abide fast food and shy away from potato chips, the whole snack food aisle in general. I usually eat at home for the most part, and am completely unfazed if I need go to the grocery store five times in a week. I rarely eat lunch, which I know isn't great for my metabolism, and my breakfast is usually light. An assorted fruit plate (what's seasonal; pineapple, ripe star fruit, kiwi, Asian pair, cantaloupe over honeydew) and milk, with strong coffee afterwards.

At night I let my fancy ride, but a good staple is some kind of canned soup. You can do really marvelous things with canned soup. A shot of sherry and some fresh chopped basil can really elevate a can of tomato soup for example. I also am not opposed to just having a hunk of crusty artisan bread, a few olives, and a good spreadable cheese (like quality Boursin) along with a Haut-Medoc. Likewise, the traditional breakfast food at any time of day, as in the good old James Bond meal of buttery scrambled eggs and crispy bacon served with many glasses of fresh orange juice.

I also go out twice a week or so to eat, and have a good stable of restaurants that recogonize me and don't "ohhh" when I ask for a boothe for one. They cover a culinary base of the habitual sushi house and Mexican diner, but also a few avaunt garde American/French/fusion joints.

I generally detest snack foods, and never eat them. I don't like canapes or Hors D'oeuvre either, unless you are really entertaining. Speaking of entertaining, I never do it often, but I always work like a fool when I do so. Mostly, I do it to finally get the money out of my cookware, and to impress.

A recipe: Creamy Mac and Cheese with Prawns, Mushrooms, and Fresh Herbs.

I have made that thing on several occasions. Let me tell you, when you make this you'll warm the heart(s) of whomever your guest(s) may be, man, woman, or child. Even the parents of significant others will become keen on you, despite the fact that you're a hopeless lay-about and a shiftless dreamer.

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hey thanks for the recipee blandman..It looks good indeed.
    I was thinking, ever tried fresh homemade soup?
    I make butternut squash with a cooking apple sopup and it is amasing.
    I sometimes bake the apple and the squash in the oven till soft, peal them then stew them with red onions( if not white) a cinammon stick then add stock(chicken stock is usually good) and let simmer for 15mn or till all ready then blend.
    You have to have enough squash (2medium one usually do the trick).
    Season for test, add fresh herbs of yor taste then serve with a little cream if you wish.
    It is delicious:)

9. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    As a Vegetarian, my staple diet to any meal is always vegetables. Even when I get take-away food I always replace meat with vegetable dishes. However, I do commit the cardinal sin of eating too much cheese; that's always been a vice of mine. ;)

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

can you ever eat too much of something?
    And isn't that the answer to a staple diet/food?

11. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    You can definitely eat too much cheese! It's very fattening...Tastes so damn good though.

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I think there is some truth in saying that if you eat so much of something it is because your body needs it.

13. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

No, there is no truth in it. Evolution has geared us to go for high energy foods like proteins because they are difficult to obtain in the wild. It is easy to get the bulk of requirement by gathering, but hunting requires an expenditure of energy well above that, because a proportion of it is good for our diets, we are programmed to spend that extra energy in pursuit of them. The instant gratification we receive from eating foods like that is what compels us to repeat the exercise.
    Of course, nowadays, the exertion is limited to reaching to an item on a grocer's shelf and so the balance is upset. If we survive long enough as a race, selection will redress the imbalance that modern life has brought. In other words, the unhealthy will weed themselves out. Darwin wins again.

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am not aware of what Darwing said on this particular topic and how he gets to win.
    Would you minde elaborating a bit more.

15. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Darwin said nothing about supermarkets, they didn't have them then,nor did they have deep fried Snickers or Marathon bars.

16. Cacian

Cacian Banned

why does he get to win though?

17. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Darwin always wins in the end.

18. Cacian

Cacian Banned

No he doesn't.
    He is not here to say he does.

19. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Yes he does, and he has been winning for three and a half billion years or thereabouts.

20. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Has he?
    That is a long time to be winning.
    You usually only win once and it usually happens within a period of time.
    That is an ifinite number to be winning..in a way he is running against time and he is not even here.
    How does one define one's winnings when one is not present is delicate.

21. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Life wins and Darwin defined how it works. If it did not, there would be none.

22. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Ok.
    Let's put it this way just to clarify some points:
    would life be winning if Darwin never existed?
    in other words what you do/think and behave if Darwin did not exist?
    Obviously you can tell I am not a Darwinist and neither do I rely on his work to define who and what I am.

23. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Well that is one of a very long list of books you find tedious, obviously; dictionaries being at the very top.

And if Darwin were not correct, or whatever his equivalent would be in an altenrate universe, life would not exist. it would have failed at the outset.

Bet you dont "believe" in gravity either.

24. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Ah, to get back on-topic...

Some of my staples are pasta, meats of most types (especially beef, lamb and chicken), bread and butter, potatoes, fruit-wise bananas, sometimes apples. I love cherries and strawberries but they can be expensive. Vegetable-wise, carrots or zucchini or peppers are favourites. Milk products, yoghurt and (too much) cream. Chocolate. Coffee or tea. Water and fruit juices.

I don't eat much rice. I don't like most fish and can't stand celery, raisins and olives. Things I keep limited: cheeses, soft drinks (coke) and crisps.

25. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Darwin is correct for himself and some like yourself who believe in him.
    I am not going to believe him because it is not all that simple and as he thought it was.
    I reserve judgements on this because there are far too many flauds and buts which I am not going to even ponder on.
    Gravity is very different.
    Gravity exist there is no doubt about it.
    That I am sure of.