1. Jack Kensington

Jack Kensington New Member

What inspired you to write? This is what inspired me...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jack Kensington, Jun 6, 2015.

I'm 20, 21 in November so compared to other writers I'm like a child, but that won't stop me from creating my story. A few years back and a few more fantasy dreams dreams later and my current circumstance, I finally started to take those dreams and slowly mold them and create my world from those dreams.

I'm only up to sixteen thousand words so my fantasy novel has barely just begun and I also have no immediate time frame to complete the series\book.

I remember hearing a saying when I was younger, "Writing to make money or to become famous won't create a story as great as those that are created for the purpose of sharing the story." and that's what I'm going to follow.

PiP likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with the above sentiment completely, Jack. Others may not, but I do.

I work as a professional interpreter and translator. I have many friends in the field who bemoan the lack of lucrativeness in this profession. I say nothing. I keep my lip zipped because what I want to say is: You have chosen poorly if you've got your eye on that Bentley, mate. And no one already griping about empty pockets want to hear that. *shrug* I do the job - and chose this profession as a wee lad - because I have an intense fascination with language. I want to rip the wrapper of daily use from its surface and stick my hand down deep in the inner workings and feel around and find out why this preposition makes these things happen, and these verbs over here, why do they function so differently from those verbs over there, oh, I see, yeah, they've got this thingy that connects them to this concept box I can feel over here, and, alright, that makes sense now, they're not really irregular, they've just got other things going on. That's me.

I write because I enjoy it. I write because there are stories to tell. I don't tell stories because there's money to make. That feels like going at it backasswards. If money gets made, bully for me, but if not... :) That's just my take and no one is obligated to agree. That is never a requisite to play.

But one thing that is requisite as that you at least give the New Member Quick Start a once-over. Good info that will get you going in the right direction as regards our forum. :agreed:

Wrey

Jack Kensington likes this.
  3. Jack Kensington

Jack Kensington New Member

Mmm, I've already read it. :cool:

Life and mostly everything should be decided not by wealth, but by dreams. Or that's how I look at it and if you can share dreams via stories then other people can live those dreams too.

4. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

The understanding that nothing else will fulfill me quite like filling a page will.

5. Siddharth

Siddharth New Member

The need to express my unique worldview and to see others relating and empathizing to it.

6. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

I like this. :D

I write poetry to express my feelings and the inner thoughts I dare not speak aloud. I wrote my novel as it was an itch that needed to be scratched and a story that needed to be told.

7. Woof

Woof Senior Member

I was inspired to write because I felt so small inside I couldn't speak, yet I needed to communicate. When I stopped writing for a while, I became small again. It's so intrinsically meshed with my well-being now, that I'll never willingly give it up again. I love everything about it and how it shapes me.

However, unless some handsome, witty, Scottish Laird is willing to take me on as their writer-in-residence, it takes up so much of my time that it's a matter of prudence to try and earn some money from it. That means publishing for me, which also brings with it the opportunity to share stories on a greater scale, enhancing the opportunity for literary fellowship.

Jack Kensington likes this.
  8. Wrizzy

Wrizzy Member

Great question.

I'd have to answer and say, quite possibly, that on my part it has run beyond inspiration and is now an impulse at this point. Maybe an itch to the scratch of my brain overflowing.

Actually, I've always had a special fondness for language, but didn't start taking writing seriously until about ten years ago. I would write poems/songs and little stories and things, but never stopped and thought, "Gee, I wanna be a writer." It just sort of happened one day, and then lo and behold I was writing a novel.

I guess, in the end, it's a sort of karma thing for me. I have several books that have literally changed my life. Books were there for me when parents and others weren't. Books opened my eyes and my heart to accepting that life could be amazing. I want to give back to the world what I received...or else I feel like I have a debt to repay.

How's that for a cheesy answer? :-D

Welp, good luck with your writing and see you around the site. :)

Siddharth and Jack Kensington like this.