1. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

impact of using mind control

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ettina, May 31, 2012.

OK, in one story, I have a bunch of kids with a form of mind control that only works on supernatural creatures such as vampires. Most of them start hunting vampires around 5-6 years old (they tend to be precocious and unchildlike), and only discover their mind control abilities at 9-10 years at the minimum. Some of their mentors are worried if they use their mind control skills too early, they won't learn how to manipulate people in the mundane way, which will cause problems when dealing with regular humans.

As an experiment, however, one of the mentors decides to teach one child to use mind control at a very young age. (They're all unaware of each other until they're older, so this has no impact on the other kids.) What impact would that have on this kid's psychological development?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is exactly the kind of thing the writer explores, and presents to the reader.

Think it through, come up with your own theory, and write it into your story.

If readers argue over your conclusions, congratulations, You have made them think.

But right now is your turn to think, not to seek a consensus.

For what it's worth, it's a good question. You're just asking the wrong people. Ask yourself.

3. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

It may make them selfish or used to getting there own way when they grow up. It's your story so you can have them become whatever you want although allowing a very young child to be able to control people would no doubt have some impact on their state of mind.

4. Kestrel

Kestrel New Member

Personally, I think the idea of 5 or 6 year old vampire hunters is too hard to swallow. Can't you make them older and, therefore, more believable?

5. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I agree. How would little children be able to do that? You'll need a believable reason for it, if you don't already and just didn't mention it.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you read Ender's Game? There are reasons researchers or military, etc, may want to work with a young mind. For one thing, the learning capacity of a young mind is the greatest of all.

No, I don't necessarily see a plausibility problem with that aspect, if it is written well.

7. Kestrel

Kestrel New Member

Ettina stated that the children started hunting vampires at the age of 5 or 6, but only realised their mind-control potential at age 9-10. I still maintain than an average 5 or 6 year old would not, physically, be in a position to hunt vampires, especially if they were still waiting for their super-powers to kick in.

8. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

I never said their powers kick in at 9-10. They're born with their powers, it's just a matter of learning to use them.

And mind control is not their sole power. They can drain magic, including the magic that keeps a vampire alive. This is the ability they use to hunt vampires with.