1. bigfriendly

bigfriendly New Member

Improving grammar punctuation skills

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by bigfriendly, Nov 28, 2012.

Hello everybody,

My grammar and punctuation skills are pretty lousy. I would like to make an effort to improve them so I could communicate online in a more articulate and professional manner. I have built some basic blog pages using Wordpress and made a few bucks online with Amazon but my weak grammar, punctuation skills are a huge burden. Any advice as far as educational guides or books for those of us who daydreamed through English class would be greatly appreciated.

Update....I have been looking at some of the sticky notes and they are helpful.

Thanks
    Scott:)

2. Nothing Wicked

Nothing Wicked New Member

We're in the same leaky boat, my friend. I don't know how well-received or accessible it is, but I use "The Bedford Handbook". I'm a cheapskate though, so there is probably pricier, yet more useful volumes out there that I just overlooked.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/marks.htm is a pretty good source for resolving any grammar or punctuation conflicts.

Good luck in your endeavors.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

constant reading of the best writing [not necessarily the most popular!] is the best way to learn how to write well...

doing daily crossword puzzles can help your vocabulary and spelling...

studying how well-written prose is arranged, capitalized, punctuated can help improve your other technical skills...

if you still have problems even after doing all that, then you should probably sign up for a creative writing and/or remedial grammar course...

4. VaWineSnob

VaWineSnob New Member

I read almost every thread in the word mechanics section. Cogito and Mammamaia have exponentially improved my spelling and grammar. They are both great teachers, always using examples and providing in-depth explanations.

5. Breasbooks

Breasbooks New Member

I am always looking for ways to improve my grammar myself. I actually just discovered an online class offered through a college here in my state. You have to pay for it, but they use your own material to help you with and it is self-paced. Maybe look for something similar in your area (the english department is always a good place to start of any college) or if you would like you can pm me and I can share the link for the online class I am taking. Hope that helps!

6. svartalfheim

svartalfheim Member

Read out loud, when you read out loud you will see when you need to put in a punctuation or where a sentence should end. Also when writing I tend to not shorten anything when I read out loud, if I know it can be shortened I do it because I'm a sucker for when it comes to things such as there, their and they're. Completely awful.

Although a writing class could be useful they can be expensive I would love to do one but I have no money, so just read lots, and read out loud as well. Also write lots, I find if you read lots and then write lots you can see easier where your going wrong.

I'm crap at it as well so don't worry.