Improving Vocabulary?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by NaturalSoles, Feb 24, 2011.

1. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

IMO never use a ten dollar word for a fifty cent statement.

Use words that apply to the situation.
    I use parts of armor in my writing, I have to look up their names, but I make sure I use the right name for the peice.
    Simple search engines will suggest the word you seek if you describe it right.

parts of a saddle-tree, where is the tree of a saddle? Its the frame under the saddle.
    "The sword strikes his paldron, causing some pain, but he can still swing his sword." (The paldron is the plate armor that protects the shoulder area)
    The sentence hints at the definition.

You can also search "expanding vocabulary" on the internet, and several sights pop up. Many people want to expand their vocabulary.

If looking for general words to improve your grasp of the language then look for those websights, if you want to find the real jargon of something go to that specialty on the web. Almost everything has some special terms used in it, the web usually shares the basic knowledge for almost every subject.

I guess I should give the standard warning, make sure the sight you are using is a serious sight, not one making up words for humor.

2. claireb2

claireb2 New Member

Reading is the key, I think. It can be anything - fiction, newspapers - but you have to increase your exposure to as many different types of writing as you can, and hone in on those that interest you the most. I always find that grabbing anything by Shakespeare, or any of the classic poets, while not necessarily a short cut to actually producing anything, is at least a great way to remind myself of the beauty of words.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

aside from reading constantly, the best ways to improve your vocabulary are:

do the daily crossword in the ny times ['the times' if in the uk]... when you can finish one in ink, in less than 20 minutes, start on the sunday ones... you can get them in book form, to do one/several a day...

keep a good dictionary close at hand where you take your meals and browse while you breakfast/lunch/dine... keep a second one in the bathroom... and a third at your writing area...

save the thesaurus till you don't need one, since it's too easy to misuse words you'll find... if you must go there, be sure to look each word up in the dictionary and google for examples of proper usage, before using it...

4. amberzak

amberzak New Member

When I was a kid, I used to get a thesaurus, open it at random and start reading. That helped to improve my vocab

5. travisbaker

travisbaker Banned

If you want to improve your vocabulary. You should read the articles, newspapers and stories. You could get more superior words and writing style.

6. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

This subject was what I thought of when hearing the latest rant by Charlie.

He uses big words mixed with metaphors mixed with some insanity and believes he is profound. Sometimes I think he is a mental mad-lib.

Jaundiced leopard skins?

7. mammamaia

just a silly redundancy, actually, since leopards are yellowish and that's what 'jaundiced' means... most of his other ravings are flat-out lunacy... but that's one of the telltale signs of crystal meth-smoking addiction's short circuiting of the brain...

8. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English is my favourite dictionary by a very long way (and I have the Complete Oxford English Dictionary on my shelf). It's based on real usage and is magnificently clear.

I actually enjoy reading dictionaries, because I like to see how the compilers write the definitions. They're often excellent miniature case studies in how to write in a crisp, clear and concise way.

9. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I have to know who Charlie is...?

10. digitig

That's a neat idea. In the UK I'd add that those seeking to improve their vocabulary should probably stick to the straight crossword. The Times' Crypric is only for those who already have a very extensive vocabulary (and a warped mind). I don't think Cryptic crosswords are common in the USA, but maybe somebody could correct me?

11. lost123

lost123 New Member

Also, charles dickens books are great. They could help you improve your vocabulary...

12. mammamaia

yes, dig, we also have cryptics in the us, though they're not as ubiquitous as ordinary crosswords... but i don't see them as being all that helpful for vocabulary building...

acrostics are, however... don't know if i mentioned those or not...

13. digitig

I agree. They tend to mangle the language too much (where else would "flower" mean a river?) and the solver already needs the vocabulary and more.