1. architectus

architectus Banned

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by architectus, Mar 24, 2009.

So she took a crack at an adult novel, which didn't read much different than her writing style in Breaking Dawn.

She used the word grimace a lot less.

The story was actually pretty good. It didn't have much of a plot, though. It was manly focused on the characters. I wish she would have done more backstory, since it was a story more about characters.

If it was 100-200 words less, it would be worth reading.

2. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Well, it's number four on the NY Time best seller list, so I can't imagine it's awful. :) I'll probably read it soon enough. I read an excerpt and was amazed that it could be so intriguing. I'm not really interested in symbiant life form fiction. Or werwolves and vampires before now, haha.
    You gotta hand it to her for being able to write about sci fi in a way that even the average reader finds fascinating.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Mcarpenter. It is an interesting story. I decided to read it after I read the first 8 pages on Amazon.

The main problem is it is too long, and not for good reasons. Swan Song by Robert McCammon is almost 800 pages long, but he uses every one of those pages wisely, unlike Stephen King's books.

The good thing is, the wasted space she uses in Host, is not as bad as in Twilight. She doesn't spend pages talking about cooking mexican food.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I think the Host is the best of Meyer's works. The writing is slightly better than that in the Twilight Saga, and the characters are no where near as irritating. I actually like Wanda, and Melanie was great as a character and a good foil to Wanda's more peaceful passive nature. I agree it was too long, and as typical she beats around the bush a lot. My main problem was the horribly slow start for the story. It was I think a hundred pages before we actually got the ball rolling.

I agree that more backstory would be nice. She's supposedly writing a sequel, so maybe we can learn more about the pasts of other characters. How Jeb built is little hide away would be particularly interesting.

Regardless, The Host is imo her best novel. Great characters. It's about time. Twilight had many great characters but we the readers were stuck with two horribly annoying ones as our POV. The Host passes my bar for a worthwhile read.

I thought she used it a lot more actually. I think it's replaced "cringe" in her vocabulary XD.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

The Host has so much potential to be great. It really does.

And yes, the first 100 pages could be reduced to 20 pages.

6. Jace

Jace New Member

Ive been on this site for awhile, just reading and never registering but i had to, because i couldnt agree more with architectus..it was a good book, though I think she over wrote herself on it..

7. architectus

architectus Banned

Jace, well I'm glad you decided to join us.

8. Jace

Jace New Member

i like others opinions rather then my own, hence why i saw no reason to join..

9. nat

nat New Member

agree

I agree that the book was too long. A shorter intro would have helped, but there were a lot of places she could have eliminated that would have moved the book along nicely.
    The story itself was to my liking. I do hope she writes a sequel.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Would you recomend it?

My friend hates that novel; yet loves Twilight.

11. architectus

architectus Banned

When there are so many other better stories out there like Lilith's Brood, it is hard to recommend. I enjoyed it, but like I said before it is way too long.

If you are a speed reader and can't seem to find enough books to read, give it a shot.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Thanks, I just read a the opening of the novel and it didn't make me want to read it. I'll pass on it for now, but I do hear some good things going for it.

I wonder what Stephen King will make of it though ...

13. nat

nat New Member

Well, it's totally different than Twilight. So, don't go into it expecting the Twilight feel.
    I'd recommend it, but I don't know that I'd read it again myself. I mean, it's a good story, but I wouldn't have published it the way it is. Maybe the publisher had a good reason to leave it as long as it is. There are many chunks that could have been shortened or eliminated.

14. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

Well I'm just happy that Twilight is done and over with. I have no interest in Meyers' books personally, shiny vampyres aren't my thang. :cool:

15. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

My friend was the same way. He didn't hate The Host, but it didn't seem like he really enjoyed it, either...he loves Twilight, though. It seems like that happens a lot-if people like one book/series by an author, they don't like another book/series by that same person.

16. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

OMG someone else that's read Swan Song! How awesome.

The Host is pretty good, but it is pretty long...she definitely wasted some time there in order to make it longer. I'd say it's better than her Twilight books by far though.

~Lynn

17. keeklies

keeklies New Member

I started the read The Host and had to stop after 2 pages. I couldn't stand her prose. I am really picky about prose for some reason; it has to be high caliber or it drives me bonkers. I never read the Twilight series and I'm not really planning on it.

18. architectus

architectus Banned

The prose in the Host is better than in Twilight.

19. keeklies

keeklies New Member

Well then I am REALLY not planning on reading the Twilight series!:p

20. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

If you only read the first 2 pages, the prose will seem off because what you're reading are the disorganized thoughts of an alien parasite that's just taken over the body of a human being. It reads like sci fi, and that's the part of it I found interesting and enjoyed. It's later when they get into all of the relationship stuff that bored me.

21. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

That's actually right. The first few pages are very confusing and jumbled compared to the writing in the rest of the book. I didn't like either though, so I skipped it and went straight to the good part XD. She really could have cut off the first 50 pages and readers would have been fine.

22. keeklies

keeklies New Member

hmm...ok... maybe I will try and give it another whirl.

23. architectus

architectus Banned

The Host is actually a pretty good story, but honestly it has nothing on great sci-fi like just about any sci-fi story written by Octavia Butler, or Orson Scott Card.

I can't believe you didn't enjoy the relationship stuff, Marina. You mean the romance aspect right?

24. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Lol, you know me too well, arch. :p

There was endless whining, plus the hero was unappealing. I liked the other guy better--can't remember his name at the moment. I just found it all boring and could not get into it.

25. architectus

architectus Banned

The romance wasn't the best. Not as good as The Hunger Games anyway. I just finished What I Did For Love. I enjoyed it.