1. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

-ine and its derived terms.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by cruciFICTION, Jun 28, 2011.

So I've been looking everywhere for a list of words when referring to animals or animal-like things. Think 'canine' or 'feline'.
    I haven't been able to find anything resembling it, so I've decided to come here. If anyone has knowledge of a list like this, please point me in the right direction. Other than that, if you could help me compile a list, that'd be excellent.

The List

Hominine - in relation to humans (not sure if this is right or not. clarification would be excellent)
    Canine - in relation to dogs
    Feline - in relation to cats
    Lupine - in relation to wolves
    Ursine - in relation to bears
    Vulpine - in relation to foxes
    Bovine - in relation to cows
    Ovine - in relation to sheep
    Porcine - in relation to pigs
    Equine - in relation to horses

That's all I've got so far. I'm not looking for people to make up new terms. I'm only looking for terms that already exist, please. I'll edit this post with terms already found.

What would be super-duper cool is if anyone is aware of these terms in relation to reptiles, amphibians, or fish and such. I've never heard of any of them, so I'm unaware of whether it only applies to mammals (like rabies) or not.

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

Animal adjectives: the sort of thing that crops up in a pub quiz.

hippopotamine - can anyone guess what this relates to? A hint of laziness about some of these efforts.

3. cruciFICTION

Just throwing it out there: I love you. So much. I've spent months trying to find this... and all I had to do was Google "animal adjectives". >.<

:love:

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Certainly:

Piscine (remember your French lessons?) for fish
    Orcine (if memory serves) for whales

... and googling will give you the rest that you're looking for including birds, reptiles, creep crawlies etc.

5. cruciFICTION

For the record, found a list of it here: http://www.pubquizhelp.com/animals/adject.html

It has specifics on birds at the bottom, too. I can't believe I didn't recognise "Corvine" for crows. I woulda thought it'd be one of the first I'd think of.

6. art

art Contributor Contributor

Much obliged.
    I imagine googling 'ine and its derived terms' and similar must have been somewhat frustrating.:)

For the record, I didn't even conjure up 'animal adjectives.' Simply inputted..vulpine ovine bovine lupine..You had the key to the lock all along.

7. elneilio10

elneilio10 New Member

Interesting thread - it got me googling too! ;)

First, I'd like to question the orcine suggestion of Gannon's. Sorry. :oops: Nothing relevant came up for it in my search (though I never look beyond the first page on google ordinarily! ;) ).

Cetacean is probably the best you'll get for whales, imho.

May I enquire as to why you might want this list other than to win pub quizzes?

You must tread carefully using the Internet / Google / pub quiz sites as sources as half of them won't be at all reliable!

You must remember also that half of those terms are technical in the extreme and the ordinary layperson won't be familiar with half of them. Start using them in your prose and you'll just appear pretentious, turning your readers off in droves. I assume here you're not about to pen an Encyclopaedia of Wildlife!

As an aside, my degree's in Zoology, albeit a 20-year old degree and hardly
    the best grade! But if you have any more animal related questions, I could happily open my remaining textbooks...

Good luck! :)

8. Phruizler

Phruizler New Member

Porcine? Is that one real? Isn't it just swine? If not, what's swine? Is that just something we made up?

SO MANY QUESTIONS! WHY HAVE YOU RAISED THIS ISSUE?!