1. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

inertia

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by criticalsexualmass, Mar 13, 2014.

I stopped writing in november due to some medical issues, and I've found that even though I'm motivated to get back into it, things are really hard. I wrote every day for over a year with no effort, now after a three month break when I try to write I end up just wandering away. I'm going to set a word count for myself just to make myself do it again, but is it common to have this occur after such a short break?

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

inertia

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by criticalsexualmass, Mar 13, 2014.

The last four times I've changed my meds I've had stalls ranging from four days to two months.
    You have it right though, the best thing to do is write through it. You might turn out absolute drek for the first couple of days, but it'll come to you. The best thing is to pick up a side project, something new that you can get excited about. Then throw it away when you've got your energy back.

FrankieWuh likes this.
  3. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

So true. Writing depends on two important factors: being physically comfortable and mentally comfortable enough to write. In most cases that means the act of writing is as natural and habit-forming as walking, and having the confidence to put the words down. Like anything if you've broken that habit it will take time, like starting to walk again, but by practising you get back into that habit quickly and you can then build your confidence again.