Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Dec 3, 2014
    Announcement ||| Information Concerning Poetry Contests |||

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Poetry Contest' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Oct 2, 2016.

Welcome! This thread here discusses all information concerning poetry contests.

If you’re looking for the rules for poetry contests those can be found here:

If you have any questions concerning the poetry contests, feel free to private message me with your thoughts. Thanks!

--> Times may vary, but for the most part each poetry contest will begin sometime on Sunday, and end four weeks later on the nearest Saturday at midnight. Winners will be announced on the following day as well as another contest.

--> Each contest goes through two different phases. The first two weeks will be the submitting phase where you will be allowed to post your entry for a poetry contest on the given entry thread.

Once those two weeks are up the contest will transition into the voting phase in which everyone is allowed to vote for which entry they believe should win that said contest.

Once the voting phase ends the voting thread for the contest will be closed and the winner will be announced the next day.

--> To ensure fair voting, the entries on every contest will remain anonymous. Once the voting for that contest ends the entries will be de-anonymized.

--> You are responsible for your own spelling, formatting, grammar, and so on.

--> Depending on the contest’s poetry style you may be restricted to how many; words, lines, and syllables, you can use. Information on the style being used will usually be posted on the thread along with an example (sometimes).

--> As mentioned before in the rules, you are only allowed to post one entry per contest. More information on that can be found in the rules thread for poetry contests.

--> Two contests will be constantly going, so there’s should always be a contest open for entries.

--> A new thing we’re trying is taking the entries from all of the poetry contests, and creating a poetry book consisting of those poems to be bought online. All the money from those books will go towards the Writing Forums. However, we do need your permission to use your poems in the book, so if you’re interested in having your poem in one of our books you can let us know by putting two asterisks above your poem when posting. I will contact you once the poetry contest is over to ensure your permission to let us use your poem.

Obviously you will be given credit if your poem goes into the book, but I believe to actually include your poem’s we need written permission. I’m still not entirely sure about the legalities that go into making a book like this, so it may be awhile before we can figure that out.

For now, like I said above include the two asterisks at the top of your entry, and I will know you’re interested in having your poem be featured in the poetry book.

--> Themes and styles for the poetry contests will be chosen from the poetry theme and style suggestions thread posted here:

So if you’re interested in possibly having your theme or style included in an upcoming poetry contest I would suggest posting it in there.

If the winner of the most current poetry contest has a suggestion in that thread I will resort to that first. I did abandon letting the winners pick, because if the suggestion is really obscure and/or unknown by people, the chances of that contest getting a lot of entries is very slim. I remember one contest where we got no entries because the theme was just so random and un-relatable. More or less, we’ll just have to see how it goes.

--> Anyone who wins a contest will receive a virtual medal on their profile. If you do happen to win the medal should be rewarded upon the day, the winner is announced. If you don’t receive the medal even though you won, let me know and I will get on it right away.

If you have any questions about anything about the poetry contests that’s not posted here, as said above feel free to contact me through a private message.
    LinnyV and gibble410 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.