1. 13YrOldWriter

13YrOldWriter New Member

"Inkheart" Trilogy

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by 13YrOldWriter, Jul 18, 2009.

Well, what do you think about the Inkheart Trilogy? I loved the first book "Inkheart". And I just bought the second one "InkSpell" yesterday, and hopefully starting it soon.

Has anybody elsee read the books? ^^

2. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

OHH!! That is my favorite series! Inkspell is absolutely wonderful. Cornelia Funke is a master at creating detail so vivid that you are literally in that world. Inkspell and Inkdeath are like that. When I was reading them I was so immersed I forgot that I was on my couch rather than in the story. Fantastic books. Just fantastic.

3. 13YrOldWriter

13YrOldWriter New Member

I know! It's awesome! She's so....Decriptive. Like, when she described somebody, my mental image was so clear, and she's so vidid! It's REALLY amzing.

4. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

I have the first book around here somewhere. Unfortunately, I never finished it. I think I got about halfway through it.

I didn't think it was bad; it was well written and had an neat idea. There was just something about the general style and mood I didn't quite like, and in the end I lost interest and couldn't stick with it.

I guess they can't all be winners. Oh well.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I absolutley adored the series; I have a "favorite books/objects" shelf in my closet with the entire series on it, as well as all of Stephenie Meyer's works, Dreams from My Father, and my guilty pleasure, the Clique series.

6. yellowm&M

Exactly! She is amazing! I would kill to be able to write just half as well as her, she's my favorite author.

7. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    I read the first book a few years ago, and recall it being a well written and interesting story. Some time after that I read the sequel and was disappointed; it was far less original, and felt unnecessary. Never bothered reading the third.

Highly recommend the first alone.

8. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

When I read the first book a few years ago, I absolutely loved it. I loved Meggie, and I was on the edge of my seat with curiosity about her and Farid as a couple. I was about 13 then.

I remembered how well I loved the first book, so when the third book finally came out (around three years later), I bought it and the second. Because it had been so long since I read the first, I thought I should read it again. Boy, I thought I would never get through it. (But I still tackled the second and third).

I do love the story, but something about the writing bugs me. Just a tiny bit. I can see everyone and what they're doing, I can feel their excitement and fear, but it's as if I'm looking through a glass with a little smudge in the center. The writing bugs me just enough to "interrupt the fictional dream".

But, like I said, it's a lovely story. I still recommend it to people on the hope that they aren't quite as picky as I am, and then I pray they won't come to hate the word surreptitious. ;)

9. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

Hm, I think I might know what you mean.

As I recall, I had trouble visualizing the setting. It was realistic enough to not feel fantastic but so vague I had a hard time placing it in a realistic context. Does that make sense?

10. yellowm&M

Really? See I'm the exact opposite, I easily could visualize everything.

11. Gigi_GNR

I'm rereading the books now.....there's nothing like the familiar, wonderful feeling of sinking into a classic. :D

12. echo_wolf

echo_wolf New Member

Well, I never finished the first book. I would start it again but I have a book shelf full of books to read. But it was good.

13. Gigi_GNR

I love how the characters in the book love reading, because it feels like kindred spirits to me. I love people who love to read, like really, REALLY love it like I do.

14. yellowm&M

Same, one of my favorite parts in that series is how relatable the characters are in their thirst for books; or just in general.

I've said it before, but I really highly recommend this series, its wonderful.

15. Gigi_GNR

My favorite characters have to be Dustfinger, Meggie and Mo. Dustfinger because he's such a cool, aloof person. Meggie because she shares my love of books. Mo because he's the nicest character, he shares my love of books and he really shows immense courage, becoming the Bluejay.

16. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

Yep, I understand perfectly what you mean. But, that's not what I meant. You know how when you read some books (which, of course, vary from person to person) you feel like you are in the book. I've been talking to friends about a book before, and been like, "Wait. That was in the book? I thought that was in the movie!" "Nope. It was in the book. I remember reading it." I will say, "But I remember seeing it." Well... it's like just as I start to fall into the book, one of her oddly phrased sentences or I see the word surreptitious, I'm yanked back into my seat and am reminded that I am reading a book.

17. yellowm&M

Those are all great reasons...mine would probably be Meggie for the same reasons as you, Doria in the third cuz he's so cool and Dustfinger because he's a coward but he always does the right thing in the end...though in all honesty I love them all.

Except for Orpheus, She created him so well and so realistically that i literally wanted to strangle him but couldn't because he's not actually real lol

18. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

I think Mo would be my favorite. He's such a sweetheart, and so valiant. And Farid probably is another favorite. *Blushes and giggles* ;)

19. yellowm&M

Hehe I love farid too! until the third book anyways....

Aw crap we're starting to fill this thread with spoilers aren't we?

20. Gigi_GNR

lol, we are. I also didn't like Farid in the 3rd book. He went from Meggie's boyfriend to Dustfinger's boy. I was glad when she chose Doria, because he was a better choice.

21. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

Dang! Spoiler! I haven't finished the third. But that's my fault... the thought that something about the third book would pop up sort of poked at my mind, but I ignored it. Now though I'm curious at how it happened, hehe.

22. murphcas

murphcas New Member

I've only read the first one. One of my friends was reading the second one but I was kind of like "ehhh..." I think it's because I loved the first one so much that I was afraid that, like most series, the second one would not be up to par. So I never read it.

Do you think the rest of the series is up to par with the first one?

23. yellowm&M

heck no...the second and third are way better in my opinion :)

@hoodwinked-sorry! if it makes you feel any better when i was reading it my friend told me thta even though i told her not to

@Gigi-GNR-Yeah, though I totally loved Farid in the second, he was so cute :D Still Doria was better in the end

24. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

I feel like a giddy teenager... giggling over boy in a book.

25. yellowm&M

hehe I feel like one too

well actually i am lol