Tags:
  1. Marx

Marx New Member

Camus' Lyrical and Critical Essays

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Marx, Jan 10, 2010.

I've fallen in love with Camus all over again reading through the essays he wrote as a young guy. What amazing raw talent! I was wondering if anyone else has read this stuff and wanted to know what you thought about it. It's available in one volume.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I've read L'Etranger and Le Mythe de Sisyphe (Myth of Sisyphus), both in French. I read the novel before reading the essay, and I found that the novel makes more sense (or rather, his intent becomes clearer) after reading the essay. Camus is an amazing writer and thinker. I'll have to check out his other essays. By the way, is this volume in English or in French?

3. Marx

Marx New Member

The volume that I found is in English but I wouldn't see why you wouldn't be able to find it in French if you prefer to read it that way. I've had a hard time finding the essays included in this volume in other places so I'm unsure how common they are. I highly recommend you get a hold of them and read them. I'll see if I can find one of the better essays online and I'll post a link to perhaps convince you to buy the book haha

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I've actually had a hard time finding his stuff in French. My university library does have a few copies, but that's only for his most famous works. For something like this, I will have to buy it. And I don't definitely don't need convincing to buy his essays. I already know what a great writer he is, so I'm going to buy more of his works, including his essays, in the near future.

By the way, which works of his have you read?

5. Marx

Marx New Member

I've read The Stranger, The Plague, that volume of Lyrical and Critical Essays, and some excerpts from a few other works in various lit classes. I'm a big fan.