1. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Inks' progression journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Inks, Aug 24, 2015.

Though I just joined the website, I decided to create a journal here so that I can record my progress and share some thoughts with those readers who will hopefully find my thoughts somewhat helpful. I am not a fiction writer by nature, but I will give a a shot.

I began writing fiction on August 5, 2015, and I must say it is quite difficult. My first "chapter" so to speak is 77,488 words (415,013 characters for the curious) and contains 10 unique characters. To keep it simple for this summary, each of the characters awaken and are devoid of knowledge and come together and have interactions before the end of the 25th day. Each one brings their own strength and ability to the table, but conflicts and desires run amok. Perhaps I will expand on the details in time, but it is very difficult to get into the mindset of each character.

The "lead" character is a female of great intelligence and mind, but is weak physically and is much smaller than any of the others. The character refuses to be written by my hand or head, and instead possesses a unique viewpoint that is baffling to me. Writing this character seems to be more a re-telling of "her story" as if by a quaint fireside chat in a summer evening. She will correct me and become angry if I interpret her emotions incorrectly. She will console me when I get frustrated with her thoughts, but never explain herself. Her will is so strong, I do not feel like I am the writer. Our relationship is complicated.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    ManOrAstroMan likes this.
  2. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

I don't know. I heard that some people seek out their characters in something akin to a dialogue in order to get to know them better. Personally, I've never tried.
    It sounds like you already managed to write a well-sized story. Do you intend to break it up into different chapters to increase the readability?
    Good luck with it :)

3. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

I said "chapter" because it is basically how it has a defined beginning and ends with a proper break after establishing all the characters. The lead character is pretty strong willed and its not so much of a dialogue. It is like the character sits by me or looks over my shoulder as I work. One scene (now deleted) concerned her anger at being upset by a taller, more beautiful woman. I ended up deleting like 800 words because when she finished her little self-indulgent fantasy, she said "I didn't do that! I wanted to, but you cannot write that either!" Was pretty bitter about it, but since then she has behaved a little more. I try to do 3000 words a day or so, but sometimes I find myself writing till 3:00 a.m. and end up staying awake wondering about the text.

4. rainy_summerday

That sounds tough. But maybe this means your character has got a unique voice. It might be good for your story.

5. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Another 9000 words done in the last three days.

Not too sure how to describe it, but here it goes nothing. Several conflicts have come to a close, and the heroine has a firm rule now. She is defending the home while making preparations for her own "flowering" as she calls it. Simply put, her species is diestrous and she was not born and raised into adulthood. She is alone and has no one upon which to guide her through this time. She has asked a human male named Alin, formerly an enemy, to make sure she cannot hurt or act out against the others. This is for all intents and purposes an impossible task when dealing with a being that is, at its most simple definition, a god.

6. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Tomorrow is likely to reach the 100,000 word mark on day 24 of my writing.

The balance of power is shifting and another enemy has become an ally. Things are coming together a lot better now, as some of the quirks in the characters are becoming defined as each aspect of them grows. The main character and one other is a "lunatic" - defined here as emotionally and physically affected by the moon and lunar viewing.

Secondly, I do not understand why the word "Te" - pronounced "Ti" keeps popping up in reference to one character and that every time I try to think or describe the character - whose name is most certainly not "Ti" keeps formulating as a gender pronoun. Mind you this happens suddenly after "te" gets a voice and interacts with the characters directly. Will look into this mystery later because my head hurts trying to make sense of it.

7. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Yep 100,000 words reached.

The climatic battle is being set up now. Brought low by nature's hand and the peaceful effects of the full moon, the heroine expresses her affection for her killer as the proverbial noose is tightened around her neck. Betrayal. In the pale light of the moon, blood will flow.

rainy_summerday likes this.
  8. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

A summary thus far:

The story begins with the creation of the universe and a conflict between spirits in forming the world. They are ensnared and trapped until a set period of time where they awaken into the world with complete adult bodies, utterly devoid of knowledge. A small woman named Ibiki is attacked and befriends a large violent man named Uowa. When they are attacked, Ibiki defeats a large rampaging boar with divine strength at the cost of destroying her right arm. Threatened and aroused by this act, he later rapes her. Her punishment is swift, but Uowa recognizes her as dominant. In time they are joined by another man (Biyuun) and two women (Kae and Lune) and come to live by a lake at the edge of the jungle.(30,000 words)

Conflict arises when two humans are known to be heading toward their home, a telepathic mixed-gender (Juri) tells Uowa that the humans are dangerous. Alerted in advance, Kae plays the leader and Ibiki as the second-in-command. Kae "decides" to shelter them from a coming storm after detecting the woman (Fiel) is pregnant. Their kindness wins Fiel over, but her mate, Alin, attempts to take her back by force. Casually defeated by Ibiki, Alin is made a pawn like Biyuun in luring the deceptive party out. The three figures behind this act, Ulen, Kyl and Juri, make no pleasantries and announce their intention to kill Fiel for attacking them. Ibiki refuses to let them kill her and stands alone against all three. Unleashing her full potential, Ibiki uses almost all her strength to obliterate them. Despite the devastating toll on her body, Ibiki welcomes back Alin to the home. (45,000 words)

Alin does not forgive Ibiki and plots to kill her. Ibiki alerts Kae and warns her not to interfere in her fun. On a guise of obtaining hides for clothing. Realizing Ibiki has no ill will towards him, the two resolve there differences and Alin dedicates himself to warding off Ibiki's decent into insanity. Ibiki's true nature as a lunatic being is revealed and Juri's spirit contacts Ibiki and Alin. In preparation for "flowering", Ibiki expends all her energy and forces Juri to resurrect and tend to her. Greatly fatigued by resurrection, Juri is essentially defenseless and watches Ibiki become weaker and weaker with each passing day. Juri's plan to offer Ibiki up to Ulen and Kyl is hinted at. Ibiki orders the construction of a large home for everyone to live in. (30,000 words)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  9. rainy_summerday

That seems like a lot. Good luck with that.
    I am quite curious about your characters' names. Is it intentional that the members of your original group have Japanese names, while the second group has names that are definitely not Japanese?

10. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

It worked out on its own and the characters announced their names (naturally) to me. Essentially the first group took their names from the language formed by Ibiki and Uowa after they met. The second group derived their names from a different language. Alin and Fiel being part of that second group. Juri is complicated... Though each character defines themselves by their sense of self and their self-given name reflects that nature.

As this is a progress journal, I've avoided much "intimacy" aspects, but for context: Uowa is terribly intimidating and imposing, so he is tolerated at best by the others. He's roughly 8 ft tall and weighs around 320 lbs, with almost no fat. Kae is about 5 foot 10 and a mere 140 lbs. Yet, she is the tallest and heaviest female in the group! Uowa takes pride in being the most masculine figure, but Ibiki is the only one to hold actual affection towards him. This even results in scenes where he appears to be stupid, such as boasting that he is incapable of having a daughter.

The relationships of each character is something which is beyond simple description, but there is no "romance" between Uowa and Ibiki, yet each trusts the other with more than their life. During a forbidden spiritual union, Kae witnessed Ibiki's "bond" with Uowa and realized that the word "love" fell terribly short. This was when Ibiki rushed into the fray to protect him despite the danger to herself. This was a "meaningless" act to Biyuun, who knows they are immortal and can be resurrected after a time. Ibiki, aware of "the gate", says that she would die a hundred times to make sure Uowa never has to witness such a trauma and Biyuun agrees with her. All of Ibiki's fears hinge on rejection, isolation and lacking the power to protect those she loves.

Remember when I said the characters kinda boss me around? Yeah, it continues.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  11. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Was going to do a minor update, but meh. Not sure if I want to explain another 40,000 words worth of writing. It is really tough to summarize the story! Multiple languages, special abilities, spiritual aspects, the openness of emotions... everything. The character's discussions with one another really drives the conflict and the development of themselves and there is just no catching up by mere summary.

For example, lengthy discussions have taken place on the nature of their non-human bodies. Ibiki is the most open about herself and is the benchmark for the others to compare against until Fiel and later Juri bring their own insights to the table. Though it is actually Juri that brings forth very uneasy truths Namely that, each being chose their own form and their kin will carry those traits. Each knows that their children and their children's children will be born without divine powers, straight into a life of hardship and strife.

12. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

I really need to vent! So in the classic "Note to Whom it Concerns" format:

Dear Juri,
    I know you are upset, but traumatizing Fiel mid-pregnancy is not a good idea. I do not know why you enjoyed filling her head with the notion that human females are going to be breeding stock for monsters like Uowa, but STOP IT. Also, for that little stunt, you are losing your special "ti, tir" gender pronoun. Whether or not you are "sensitive" does not matter when you are abrasive as sandpaper toiletries. Since you have gotten into the camp, you have done nothing except make every problem so much worse! Also, thanks for the first nightmare in months. I am not writing it down. Too bad.

Dear Lune
    You are too cute and sweet to be spouting Kae's obscenities. Only she can get away, alive at least, by calling Juri out on it. Also, I do not want to hear or write about you and Uowa having a child. For three real-life days I have been unable to cope with the implications and make a post here about the subject.

Dear Ibiki,
    Please stop filling my head with the extreme details of all your construction plans and projects. That five-story house you have been building for the last 50,000 words is wondrous, but your schematics are entirely wasted on me. Also, three hours explaining to me the benefits of your designs does not help me in the least. And bin/barrel/box is the closest thing that English has to what you are describing! I do not understand your spiritual talk either. And if you are going to toy with me for 150,000 words, then I might not be a good scribe. Juri nightmared the reveal to me. Ha.

Imaginarily likes this.
  13. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Peace has returned and the layers and layers of the narrative are simply failing to fit any short summary. I do not even understand everything going on in the text. Perhaps when I hit 300k words I may do another summary.

Speaking of unanswered issues, here is one that has long existed now: When divinities like Ibiki or Uowa use their special skills a physical change is clearly seen. The most common manifestation was in golden eyes - eyes that literally glowed like miniature suns. When Ibiki got more skilled, the golden glow was replaced with a bright blue glow. At her complete maximum, Ibiki's entire body glows blue, but doing so almost kills her and leaves her without any defense. Her body becomes almost skeletal and consumes her fat and muscles to release one attack. However, Fiel is very adept at her ability, proving that even though she is meek - she is probably #3 in terms of raw power. Possessed with the ability to see spirit energy and even manipulate her energy into held objects, Fiel is extremely lethal in terms of combat ability despite nearing the end of her pregnancy.

With the arrival of the 11th character (technically would be the 3rd in chronological order) the entire question has been heading towards a distinct end. My current theory is that golden eyes are a product of the non-spiritual use that consumes the body for energy. Glowing blue eyes represents the use of spiritual energy, but it extends to physical concentrations of spirit energy and extensions of a body. Combined use result in truly amazing results at extreme penalties. Ibiki's forbidden acts have seriously come back to bite her, and she is really hurting over it.

For every question I get answered, Ibiki raises several more though.

14. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Added word count and titles for the two completed chapters. The titles of the chapters define the focus and theme, but chapter 3 is likely to end up being very long. And I've had a nightmare about chapter 4... so it gets its title early.

Chapter 1 - Gathering Friends at the Water's Edge. - 77,494 words
    Chapter 2 - Pregnancy of the Body and Spirit - 44,894 words
    Chapter 3 - Joyful Union in Residency
    Chapter 4 - Two Lunatics Under A Scarlet Moon

15. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Word count is getting excessive again. Cannot summarize with a terse summary... the differences in the language in the story and the growing depth of complexity is just too great at this point. I honestly do not think that it serves any purpose to bother with a short 500 word summary from more than 300,000+ words. I just cannot possibly make any meaningful representations.

Ibiki and Kae's voices in my head are not really tonal in nature, which I think is odd, but the information is more in a set of pictures and feelings. Ibiki is really shy about her emotions and does not find any value in descriptions except for creating objects. Kae has a tough exterior, but depending on stance, the most sensual thing I've written was not one of the multitude of sex scenes. It is actually a scene in which Kae stands against a cool wind, describing the sensation of the wind on her arm hair and feel of the storm-winds caressing her cheeks. Watching the lightning and listening to the roll of thunder, the rush of torrential rain and the wondrous air which fills the house. That moment when your fear and joy mix together as the lightning fills your eyes before the rumble erupts the senses, the feeling of the storm in your breast. And the clench of lover's hands as they cling to you for safety.

The calmness of this tranquil period has resulted in plenty of descriptions of the simple pleasures from even such a lustful woman! The smell of cooked vegetables, the sensation of rough wood grain against the fingertips, the sound of laughter and the warmth shared by two persons brushing up against each other at the dinner table.

Love really can be shown by leaning against one another, such a simple act says so much, and all the more when staring at the setting sun. A hard days work deserves a good night's rest. Though an entire chapter dedicated to the joys of making a home and living together is really weird, since there is no conflict, it is just so... sweet. Cooking meals, snuggling into one another, bathing and lounging in a paradise. It really should not end, but... then... there is chapter 4...

*Inks cries*

I do not think I will be doing any story updates until chapter 4 is over. I do not think I can emotionally handle it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  16. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

I was wondering about an excerpt, but it just does not seem like it could possibly be a net gain to me. Explaining the world, the characters and their actions alone is not something which can be done via an extract. While I can explain the futility of killing in respect to a divinity, the fact that violence is still capable of being a solution is an odd one. Ibiki's has really forced her preferred lifestyle and beliefs on the others, but such a change is accepted and the bonds she forms with them are unbreakable. For example, a brief 1000 words at random would contain several things which would certainly require explanation, most commonly:

1. Physical differences between characters. Kae's demeanor is better assessed by her tail and ears than by her mouth - she cannot fake her true emotions, so such cues would be lost on the reader. Each character has their own passive cues that are understood and read by others, Kae however crosses the line with her abilities.
    2. Powers, abilities, etc. - Get a scene with spiritual stuff and I expect a "reaction image" response.
    3. Lack of context - Dialogues build and relate to matters from 40-100 pages prior and it is a frequent occurrence. Characters dwell on the past and in the future as much as they are in the present.
    4. Languages/Concepts - Conversations are not always in English, but in their own native tongue(s).
    5. Ibiki...

Excerpts containing the following will not be posted:
    1. Physical affection - This occurs. It will not be occurring in my excerpts.
    2. Any scene containing or about Kijata; because the reader will develop a migraine from the necessary explanations which would arise.
    3. Philosophical dialogues - Unless someone specifically wants a challenge. I just wrote it down without trying to analyze it, but I checked last week and even the internet failed me. Spirituality and morality mostly. Non-humans, such fun.
    4. Fights between divinities
    5. Any scene that has not been edited - Not going to waste anyone's time with an unedited piece.

If you read this list and still would read such a thing, then maybe a nice pleasant dinner scene with Fiel cooking might interest you. Maybe it is Uowa finding out the joys of giving good back massages or of Ibiki getting punished for being mean to Kae. No angst, no emotional trauma, just a peaceful domestic excerpt.
    Come back Chapter 3! Chapter 4 gives me nightmares! :cry:

17. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Is this excessive?

Days 1-32 = 120,000 words in length.
    Chapter 3 begins on the 33rd day since awakening. The morning of day 34 is more than 10,000 words long by itself.
    Chapter 4 is going to likely hit 40,000 words and is really just a single night's events.

18. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Let me just say. I finally understand Ibiki's motivations and thought process. I understand how the "magic" of this world works. I understand the effects of the moon on lunatic beings and the nature of the savage world they live in.

A collection of "legends" really helped clear it up and it was maybe 4-5 hours worth of taking notes and trying to understand the history which was borne of the actions which I am writing now. This is good because, Ibiki will not elaborate or break from chronology, Juri likes to spoil and a male - who I do not know yet - makes connections of the "past and present". This male does not speak English at all - it sounds like a strange, but fancy Germanic language. In a poor attempt to explain it... all I can says is that it is a poetic language with guttural power and natural gasps that evoke emotions.

Instead of visual scenes, he provides woodcut.These are all depictions of light and darkness in strange and wondrous angles "from a children's book". One vivid picture was of a Tein commander in combat, focusing on her exposed body, covered in dozens of symbols, sigils and wielding a strange blade in her right hand. Her eyes wide and completely white against the backdrop of tall slender figures craning over her like tall trees, with axes and spears pointed down upon her. The "V" formed by the weapons hinged the full moon, completely white and radiant. It featured a "Dutch-angle" (like my avatar) except that the arch of the Tein's back was exaggerated to show her beauty, strength and her markings.

Though I do not know how to interpret the sigils, she is clearly a mother because the hand print of her mate is over her stomach with two vertical lines. This means that she is the mother of two girls, and thus must be a veteran by this point. (The warrior caste requires females to prove themselves in battle before bearing offspring. As conflicts are plentiful, this is not an issue. Also horizontal marks within the handprint denote male offspring, so it has to be two girls.) The crossed rods behind a scythe, on her left leg, means that she was a reed farmer so she was very low on the social scale for Tein. This is backed up by a mark which states she is the fourth daughter of a second generation of the "Azure" house, a group that settles in jungle marshlands. "The Azure Reaper" is the kind of a story a mother would tell her girls in times of peace, but she was completely inept at management and passed her duties to her brothers. The problem is that her sisters all died before her and she was the "last in line" - so she was called upon for other conflicts out of necessity. Still.. Ibiki refuses to let me write about her... I think they had a fight at some point since the name pisses her off.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  19. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

I am going to continue keeping away from the current writings still... for sanity reasons.

I will elaborate a bit more on the "elf-like" Miren which are the offspring of Lune. The Miren race is physically weak and mentally average. They have very calm and soft dispositions, making it incredibly rare to find a member of the race who enjoys combat or fighting. The Miren are gatherers and were the first real farmers of the jungle and they love to relax and lead lives of peace. The race is very much reliant on others to protect them from aggressors and they typically fulfill the roles of medics and teachers to Tein households. If a foreign force were to sack and destroy a town, a Miren would probably survive because they are docile and tend to be very good with medicine. They are too useful to kill or hurt, though they are also a very fragile race to begin with. Disease tends to be the killers of Miren, they often suffer for long periods of time before they finally die. Medicine is essential to their survival and all Miren are expected to take care of their fragile bodies. They are so fragile that Miren couples often refuse to have children because their future will be bleak.

Only the most powerful settlements have Miren, and typically it is the direct descendants of Lune. These descendants have silver eyes and are considerably heartier, but still suffer greatly from diseases which cannot be cured. The relationship between the Tein and the Miren is well and often exclusive, where Miren will typically live most of their lives and never interact with the other races.

Lune has resigned herself to knowing that her children cannot survive in the savage world, but she still tries to cure their ailments. Though her creations are too poisonous for her children and result only in death. Though she possesses great strength as a divinity and the ability to heal wounds and ailments directly, Lune's ability is too potent and she cannot expunge the diseases without killing them. Lune has largely abandoned her children and has resigned herself to being a sole entity of a failed race. Her dedication to Ibiki and Kae is absolute, but she lacks presence in worldly affairs despite her status.

20. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Minor update for today. Work is still ongoing with another 12,000 words done and still no closer to completion of the thematic chapter. Though I am getting a handle on maintaining their voices and asking relevant questions.

Before I went to sleep the other night, I wanted a clear dream of the world and the wish was granted. I had a dream that I was Tein, but it was not Ibiki because it was clearly a male figure. Ugh, it became a horrible nightmare. On the shores of a lake, then running for my life, chaos around me. No one had clear faces, but not that I could see them from my height. Something terrible, sickening happened and a mocking voice asked me if I liked it before I awoke. It has been many years since I had a nightmare, but this one is better off forgotten.

It is not part of chapter 4, but I know that voice, that laugh. I think I need to slow down, this is taking a toll on me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  21. rainy_summerday

You have made a lot of progress since I last looked at your journal. Well done!

22. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Thanks, I have been trying to avoid detailing chapter 3 and 4 because they get pretty complicated, strange and weird. It is just that the text is so dense that I cannot possibly explain it here. Though I sometimes have to look up and try and figure out what word in English is meant by the characters. This applies to designs that are really not something which is not recognizable to me, like how one of Ibiki's designs is close to a "semainier" though the closest concept is that of a 5-day week instead of the 7-day week. Whenever I truly fail to find it, the word is roughly translated to English. This results in some odd descriptions of certain fruits and trees - commonly known as "catspaw" because of the appearance of the fruit.

Likely to break 200k words soon.

23. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Setting a goal for myself - 30,000 words over the next two days. I absolutely need to buckle down and catch up. I will break 200k this week. This is a test of my resolve and I must meet it head on so that I can continue keeping up with their pace. I must do it. I will do it.

24. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

So I spilled the beans on the Namadi tree in my first created thread. Dochae tea and the ceremonial Uial are also out now. Along with the way in which the Tein remember their dead, but I do not want to give to much of the culture out. Tein are nothing like humans when it comes to cultural identity, but then again they are not human. Given their position of power, it is only natural that they have the highest form of expression. Also, yeah... sorta revealed Tein's affection for cloth as well. Sadly, I doubt anyone really cares about their culture.

25. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

I have been kind of avoiding writing about the story updates as of late, but it is a bit emotional for me to put "pen to paper". I have cried at least twice while writing chapter 3, which has actually made me stop and break away until I could pull myself together. So, I have not been wanting to even discuss these two following chapters. It is just easier to deal with other elements of the culture and focus on that instead. I was going to post a chapter update, but not yet... figuring out even how to explain what is going on is harder then writing the text itself.

Also, "latent child" is a good term for what Kijata is. Chapter 3 and 4 both are "madness" heavy because of her.