1. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Input wanted for Poetry Contest rules

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thirdwind, May 9, 2014.

Before I start the Poetry Contest this weekend, I'd like some input on the rules just so we're all on the same page. Let me know what you think about the following points:

1) The entries will be anonymous, which is how the other contests are run. Members can PM me their poems, and I'll add them to the appropriate thread.

2) Only one entry per member per contest.

3) Each contest will start on a Sunday and end in two weeks, so entries are due 11:59 PM EST on Sundays.

4) The theme will be chosen by the previous contest's winner. If the member doesn't suggest a theme, I'll randomly pick one from the theme idea thread. In case of a tie, I'll use the theme suggested by the first winner who PMs me.

5) I was thinking of having a word/line limit, but I don't think we need one because we haven't had an issue with length in the past.

6) I'll do my best to keep any formatting you have, but I'm not sure if copying/pasting preserves formatting like justification. If I screw up, please let me know right away so I can change it.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know if you think I should change/add anything.

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

It all sounds fine to me. I would suggest stating that a member entering the contest should try to keep the poem's length under control, though, because you never know. :)

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

While I'm not sure I want to go to a three week cycle, I'd love it if each week a different contest matured. As it is now, @Lewdog's and my contests occur on opposite cycles.

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about having the contests occur every three weeks, each falling on a different week. People would have three weeks to make submissions and three weeks to vote.

Also, is it better if the contests end on Saturday and the new one starts on Sunday or ends on Sunday, new one starts on Monday? If you are planning on having the contest end at midnoc, @thirdwind, you need to keep that in mind.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I wouldn't mind this, but that would depend on whether members participate in all contests. If no one is participating in more than two, I think a two week cycle is good enough.

The reason I want to end it Sunday night is so that people get a chance to work on it over the weekend. But I'm open to changing it if that's what participating members want.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

When I get back from the job I'm heading off two, I'll post a poll asking if the voting overlaps or is more genre specific.

If we stay with the 2 week schedule, perhaps poetry and flash fiction involve less reading and should go on the same week.

I wouldn't mind having voting go until midnight Sunday then posting the winner on Monday.