1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Is this too complicated?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mckk, Feb 9, 2011.

I'm beginning to come up with far too many sub-plots of sorts... So here's a little summary - would you even be interested in reading this, if it ever got published? And would you be able to follow the story?

MC has no memory, and one day, 4 High Priests come in and tries to kill him. He doesn't know why and makes a run for it. The High Priests continue in pursuit, and then hears news of the Shadow War breaking out (their worst fear - Shadow Rider, my villain, is on the move). So they start collaborating with powers from other realms to recruit help, while still hunting my MC to kill him.

Shadow Rider, in the meantime, has begun recruiting spirits of the Underworld to start his war. His ultimate aim is to overthrow the Underworld (he's got personal reasons for this, there's a back story to my villain - he used to be human but is no longer so). He wants to use my MC to achieve his goal.

There's a 5th High Priest, and the daughter of one of the High Priests, want to recruit my MC into helping their side (which is to defeat Shadow Rider - the other High Priests don't think this is possible and thinks it's better to just kill my MC off). So they go, rescues my MC and gains his trust. They now journey to the temple etc to "unlock" my MC's power. He's basically a secret entity created for the sole purpose of destroying the world - he's not human - and he has no idea about this.

In the meantime, there's another party - from another Realm (I have yet to decide on a good name!) - who decides to help my MC. But not to defeat anyone - he just feels sorry for my MC because he realises that my MC doesn't want any of this and doesn't have a clue what's going on or why. (this thread of the plot needs more development)

My female MC (the daughter of the High Priest) eventually dies. My MC turns evil. I have yet to decide whether he remains evil or goes back to the good side (yes, I haven't got an ending yet).

So, is this too complicated? And is it any good? I'm starting to freak out that maybe this is all a load of rubbish and I really should just either stop writing, or write a different story entirely.

I also really need help developing some of this stuff... I feel like I'm running dry again :( I've JUST got rid of my writer's block after almost 3 years and I really don't want it back...

2. evelon

evelon Active Member

It seems complicated because it's condensed. Once you write the story, it will become clear. That is, it will become more clear whether you have a story, or a series of unconnected sub-plots.

I wouldn't read it - sorry, it's not my scene, but it will be someone's. But, no matter what genre your story is, the only thing that matters is that you write it. And you can't do that unless you lose the insecurity, stop worrying and start writing.

Writers block will only come back if you let it.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree with Evelon - a lot depends on how it is spaced out and written.

4. sereda008

sereda008 Member

This would not make a good movie, but it would make a good book of you write it well.
    How is this too complicated? This is simple compared to many novels.

Yes, you probably should write it. Something like that has been done before, but I did not find such a book.

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I know they're not unconnected, so at least I have that.

And does it sound like it *could* be a good story, at least?

I'm starting to run into the trouble of switching between too many POV (in 1 chapter, I had 4 POVs! And a chapter is about 6-10 pages on average). I'm good at creating suspense (or so I'd like to think) but it feels like I'm starting a LOT of mini-stories and I'm never writing the meat of the story, if that makes sense.

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Well, for one thing, the OP needs to decide on an ending. :) The summary and plot is incomplete.

7. evelon

evelon Active Member

Write a point by point plan. Normally I don't do a detailed plan, it doesn't leave enough room to change direction, but I think it might be what you need to do. It's structure you need, you're floundering.

Wtite a detailed list of characters, including appearance, likes, dislikes, birthdays, ages etc. That will help you become 'acquainted' with your characters. It might not seem as if this will help, but it will. Once you know your characters like you know your best friend, you'll find they help you write the story.

Write the scenes that you think are the strongest, the ones you feel most comfortable writing. You're lacking confidence and you're wavering in what you believe you can do. If you don't have confidence in your writing, how will your reader?
    You'll use the scenes and even if you don't, you'll have practiced, improved your writing ability and increased your confidence.

You are asking if this 'could make a good story'. Really that's up to you to decide. If you think it will, it's up to you to make it a good story.

Just believe you can do this. Think positive. If you don't try, you won't succeed.

8. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

If you like this story, like these characters, and want to write it, then write it!

I understand exactly where you're coming from, and I want to tell you not to worry about complexity. LOST was complex, this is fine. I have ready many wonderful novels more complex than this. So don't worry about that. As for wanting to read it, the plot seems decent, so as long as you develop interesting characters, flesh out your story well, and write well, it should be fine.

Your ending is important though. Especially when a MC becomes evil and the other MC is dead... That seems like a tricky situation to write. However, it could turn out to be really really awesome. I'm just now sure what you'd do. Of course, it's your story, not mine.

I'd go with it if I had the drive to do so. I don't see any majors flaws.