1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Beer thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Mar 18, 2009.

Any beer drinkers here? What are your favorites? Who is your favorite brewery?

Myself?
    Anytime brew: Shiner Bock
    Best brew ever: 2007 Rouge Winter seasonal (hazelnut brown)
    Best Brewery: New Belgium

2. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Favorite brewery? Sierra Nevada

Their best beer? Pale Ale. All their stuff is pretty good imo.

3. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw this thread pop up. :D

I don't drink, so...

4. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

Don't like beer myself. If I drink, which is rare and little, I usually have Mike's Hard Lemonade, or Jack and Coke. :)

5. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

This thread came along just in time.

Interestingly enough, 10 days ago I was relatively indifferent to beer. I mean, sure, I had my favourite brands, and I recalled other brands as being less tasty, but there was no beer that I couldn't drink. My favourite casual, everyday beer was Carling Black Label. I liked Guinness when I could get it, and Newcastle Brown on the even rarer occasions when I could get that. However, there was no brand of beer that I actually despised. I mean, if I was handed a Millers Lite or a Heineken I wouldn't shout with joy, but I could drink it, when push came to shove. I'd drunk beer on three continents, and I hadn't actually found a beer that I actively disliked. Just beer that I liked less.

That all changed with this:

[​IMG]

The most disgusting beer that I have ever tasted. It was revolting. I actually couldn't finish it. I would rather not have anything to drink, than have that. It was nauseating. It tasted as if someone had taken water, run it through a cow's gut and fermented the resulting swill.

6. star_fire

star_fire New Member

lol. i've just been waiting for this thread to emerge. i don't drink......so i'd have to say that i'm a root beer person ;)

7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I drunk beer until i grew tastebuds. Im a wine drinker now (red esp).

That said beer, pub and late nights talking about crap are some of the best times ever ;)

8. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

Killian's Red.

9. de locke

de locke New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are my favourite beers

10. de locke

de locke New Member

Oh and little creatures is my favourite brewery :D

11. Benska

Benska New Member

Well, I'm 16 so I can't legally drink. That said, I think intoxication is stupid, and it's very bad for your liver... so I would only drink very little even if I could.

12. de locke

de locke New Member

Can I ask why you think intoxication is stupid?

13. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Tippsy and having a "good" night is one thing..

Having a bender really doesn't have to be explained why its stupid ;)

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's practically by definition. The similarity between the words stupid and stupor is not coincidental.

15. Benska

Benska New Member

That.

And like speedy said, getting a little tipsy, and having a good time is one thing. But getting drunk, losing pretty much all of your logic/reasoning skills, doing and/or saying things you wouldn't say in your right mind, then wishing you hadn't later, maybe even regretting it for your entire life. Even if you did have a grand old time, you may not even remember. I could go on. I know none of this is definite, but the chances are very high. Oh, and you can't forget the good ol' hangover.

I honestly don't see the appeal, when you can have a perfectly good time without all that.

16. de locke

de locke New Member

Each to their own I guess. It is however, possible to get drunk and not humiliate yourself. You just need to monitor how much you drink.

17. Cogito

Easier said than done, since good judgement is the first thing to go. Supposedly a Chinese proverb:

The man takes a drink.
    Then the drink takes a drink.
    Then the drink takes the man.

18. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

This was the original question. Why does every subject have to turn into a debate? :rolleyes:

For those of you who can take a drink now and then responsibly, this is a pic of the beer I was talking about. Good idea, de locke. A visual.
    [​IMG]

19. Cogito

I like beer, in moderation. But I don't really have a favorite. On opposite ends of the beer spectrum, I like:

Guinness Extra Stout, served cool but not cold. Too warm is blah, but too cold suppresses the aroma, leaving just the bitterness.

Pilsener Urquell, a true Pilsener, crisp and refreshing, with just te right amount of hops bite.

20. Benska

Benska New Member

Those statements seem to be contradictory. As Cog said, your reasoning is the first thing to go, and that starts going after the first drink, but there's still enough there after 1 or 2 to know when to stop. I'm pretty sure it takes around 4+ drinks to get drunk. So by the time you're drunk, your reasoning is pretty far gone; you won't realize that you're drunk. Hence you continue drinking, and get even more drunk, which will lead to humiliation about 80% of the time.

But, as you said, each one to their own.:)

21. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

Favorites: Newcastle and Magic Hat #9.
    I've been drinking a lot of hoppier beers of the time and will drink IPA's when I can't find Newcastle or Magic on draft. Supposedly it's feminine but I do like fruity beers, so long as they aren't too overpowering. LongTrail BlackBerry Wheat and SamAdams Cherrywheat or both pretty good.
    Favorite brewer, Don't have enough years to really have an opinion, but Stone makes some really delicious brews, particularly the oatmeal chocolate stout and the Russian imperial porter. They also have this brew called Arrogant Bastard that is perhaps too hoppy. Makes you feel pompous though, which is always fun.

And I thought I'd add my dollar to the why drink conversation. You can have fun without it, but you can also have fun without ever drinking soda or ever playing rugby. Rugby is a very dangerous sport and Soda is terrible for you, but both are good and worth enjoying. It's true you can get too drunk and say things you don't mean but you can get angry and have the same experience. People forgive a drunken action quickly so long as you aren't a drunk all the time. So that said, crack a bottle, drown your sorrow and forget tomorrow. Or lose your fear, pour a beer, and raise a cheer.

22. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

Well some people get drunk in two drinks, especially if you are doing mixers. But I can realize I need to stop by my tenth drink, even though I'm buzzed after just a few. It depends how fast you drink, what you're drinking, your size, what you ate before, and your tolerance. I know a kid who can drink two sixers by themselves in one night and be completely coherent. Same kid will lose his mind if he has even two drinks of liquor. A few months ago my brother was slurring drunk after 4 beers. Now he can drive after four.

23. Benska

Benska New Member

I realize that everyone is different, I was just going off an average, which also takes those factors into account... though they are averaged, and averages are silly, in my opinion. But I don't really have much else to work with.

Also, your brother may be able to drive, but his ability to react quickly, along with other things, would be severely impaired. And the cops won't care if he's the best driver in the world after four beers, if he's over the blood alcohol limit, they'll... do whatever they do where you're from. olol

24. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Can't say I'm an enormous fan. It's very popular here, but I prefer Yebisu - have you tried it?

While you're perfectly correct about the drinking and driving, I'm of the humble opinion that everyone should get horribly wasted at least once when they come of age, for the experience. Do it when you're camping or at home, and surrounded by reliable people who can keep an eye on you. Hey, you might even enjoy it, and it'll be a learning experience.

25. de locke

de locke New Member

ok here's the thing, you're 16 and you don't drink hence you cannot speak from experience mate. I can drink 10-12 beers in a night. Yes I will be 'drunk' however I don't drink any more and I am not in a state where I cannot control myself. Where are you pulling these statistics from??

Thanks you just made me laugh myself silly