0.0%
  13. Historic fiction

4.7%
  14. Non-fiction

9.3%
  1. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

13-19 years of age? :)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fantasy girl, Jun 28, 2009.

Hi, in english class, we have to do an essay on the what genre books people prefer to read. Basically we have to choose an age group and do reasearch for relevent information, so if you are any age between 13 and 19, please could you vote on the poll.:)

EDIT:If your chouce would be Realistic Fiction please choose general fiction but leave a comment sayin that Realistic fiction s your actual choice

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

You don't have realistic fiction on there, so I just picked general fiction.

I bet fantasy will be the top choice.

3. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Thanks for reminding me about Realisti Fiction.

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Not fantasy - that includes Braveheart.

Historical fiction is what I write, as it's the perfect balance between realism and escapism, fiction and non-fiction, and no matter who you mention they can't really sue you. I hate authors who take history and completely change it, such as Mel Gibson, but then it's not historical fiction, it's fantasy, and so isn't really included.

I can say already that fantasy is going to trample the others. It will for most age groups, as it's escapism.

5. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

I prefer to write fantasy (though not the stereotypical magic+dragons+cliche recipie), but I prefer to read non-fiction (especially history and occasionally stuff on different cultures and religions and that kind of thing).

To make it short, after years of torture by the Newbury Medal, I really was uncomfortable reading fiction. Non-fiction, though sometimes dry, was more interesting to me than reading Newbury Medal books - especially history, which actually was - and still is - my imagination's greatest inspirator.

6. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Oh I forgot, if you do NOT want your name mentioned in the piece can you please tell me!

7. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I picked thriller, as that seems to sum up a lot of books I read. General fiction would be runner up.

8. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

thanks, do you mind if i use your username in the essay?

9. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

No, go ahead.

10. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

thanks

11. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I didn't take the poll because I'm not in that age range, but I have four siblings who are, and they would all pick fantasy.

12. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

thanks i will add them to the tally :)

13. Atarxia

Atarxia New Member

Well, today is the last day as a nineteen years old. I vote for general fiction.

14. Piestein

Piestein Active Member

I am turning 18 this year and I chose fantasy. It's the only thing that I read on free will (There have been exceptions, but few). I read other classics, but that's for school, not for pleasure (Ex. I've read most of War and Peace, and I actually find it enjoyable, but that was an assignment from school). I like to believe that I have some experience on fantasy books, so if you ever need more info for your homework, feel free to PM me and I'll try my best to help you.

15. arron89

arron89 Banned

General/literary fiction ftw. Only have a few months left in this age range...way to make me feel old :p

16. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Hey. I'll be eighteen this September, and I chose nonfiction, which, I would like to point out, does include auto/biographies. It was generally what I was most exposed to when I was younger and even still now because I am quite involved in the media. Most of what I write bridges the gap between nonfiction and fiction, and I do hold the belief that quite a lot of the time, fiction is more truthful than nonfiction.

I like to read nonfiction because I like to learn about real events and am somewhat of a history buff (so I would say that it historic fiction is my second favourite genre) --for whatever reason, what is or was real appeals to me than what is fantastical. :) My fantasy and escape comes from being in that place, but it's easier to be in, because it does or did actually exist.

Good luck with your project! I dont mind if you use my username, but please dont post any photos or my real name (if you know it), because that's a little creepy. ;)

17. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

I'm only 19 for another month but I answered anyways. I'm a total Sci-Fi head. Anything with spaceships, post-apocalyptic, lasers, crazy SCIENCE!, ect. I really enjoy corny Sci-Fi movies too. Watched Mutant Chronicles last night, effing solid if you want to turn your brain off for two hours and watch mutants eviscerate dudes while soldiers simultaneously kick mutant ass.

18. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

No love for biographies? Tough crowd!

19. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Tough choice. I greatly appreciate SF and fantasy!!! how could you make me choose?

20. KurtistheTurtle

KurtistheTurtle New Member

I totally wanted to vote erotic, but I read SF mostly.

21. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I voted fantasy, but I'm not really into the swords-and-elves-galore kind of fantasy. I'm into modern day fantasy, with the magical elements not so in-your-face. So kind of realistic, but... not really.

I'm eighteen, by the way. :cool:

22. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Thanks for all your support, and Mercurial, I am only using usernames as I know using actual names is a bit errrm, creepy!!!

23. PKBradley

PKBradley New Member

I'd definitely say fantasy. Urban fantasy to be exact.

I have a very hard time reading classic fantasy. I've tried reading Eragon about 12 times now and every single time I stop after Eragon's uncle dies. Same with Lord of the Rings although I am putting a lot more effort into reading that one that Eragon.

I just prefer fantasy stories where the characters are thrown into another world. And it doesn't have to be anything Melissa de la Cruz or Cassandra Clare-ish. In my opinion, for example, the Chronicles of Narnia count as urban fantasy too. Sure, they do have dwarves and centaurs and fauns and everything but it's just the basic idea of having everyday characters in an entirely new surrounding that intrigues me.

24. Seppuku

Seppuku New Member

I'm 20 years old and I only turned 20 a little over a month ago and my tastes haven't changed since I was 19. So would you like me to give you my answer, or is that setting the margin too far apart? ;)

25. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I've not voted in this poll because I could easily be the father of those within the age range, but... I find the results interesting. The greater question for me would be why there is such a heavy lean towards Fantasy.