1. Shifty

Shifty Member

I live in my head with my characters most of the

Inspiration for naming things.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Shifty, Dec 19, 2011.

where do you guys and girls get inspiration for place names. I have huge trouble thinking what to call the capital city of my make believe country

2. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Something suitable, a nice ring to it, believable, derivitave, all depends! I haven't invented a country, but i have named shops, people, dogs and so on. I use people who I have known, or typical names for the area or names from ancient civilizations or anything I please! I had to invent a name of a god from africa and I looked up a whole load of the, picked one that had a nice ring and then modified it to suit my own needs.

3. EASyred506

EASyred506 New Member

Naming Things

I also have trouble naming things. Specifically i have trouble coming up with names for characters. I certainly use people I have known for their character development but the names are hard to come up with. I need to come with names that fit the world I have created.

4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I try to pick a name that is relevant to the type of place. Then just like Prophetsnake said, I modify it to my liking and needs.