Inspiration for writing an horror novel: What scared you the most?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by hellwarrior, Sep 23, 2014.

1. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Dude, that's rough. And yeah, the thought was so disturbing I edited it out of the post for the fear of traumatizing others, but oh well... Maybe ghosts are ageless? Its antics are pretty childish, but, then again, maybe that's just how specters communicate? Hmm...

2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't call it "rough". It was a bit gross, unexpected because I didn't know they were doing in there until I opened the door, and very awkward. But I'm not disturbed or anything. It's just sex.

3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

True. I have no problem with sex or nudity as such. Hell, being Finnish, being comfortable while naked around naked people of both sexes of all ages is kinda par for the course, sex of all kinds too, but I'd really prefer to keep my eyes and mind shielded from anything that combines my parents and sex or kids and sex. Those are just about the only things where I go all puritanical.

4. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Other then the horrifying reality that someone like Trump might actually be running things.. well I hate really confined spaces so if I were to be trapped in a small space to the point I could not even move my arms... that might just freak me out.

Mordred85 likes this.
  5. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

Coming from a very religious and superstitious family, I think that being alone in the dark has always bothered me. I've dropped a lot of the religious dogma that was forced on me at a young age, but I think there's a subconscious fear of saints and angels somewhere in my head. Also, I've never been fond of insects, especially giant waterbugs or huge bird-eating spiders. Sleep paralysis isn't something I've ever been through, but I can relate to the tales of the "Old Hag". I've been scared out of my sleep twice by her in my life and my shirts were soaked in sweat.

6. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

^ The primary reason I spend a lot of time inside. Entering packed train cars can do that to me, especially if they're traveling underground and people are compressed in there like cattle.

7. Oscar Leigh

Cramping isn't really scary to me. I just find it uncomfortable. But I can kind of see where it comes from.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  8. Raphius

Raphius New Member

movie that scared me the most ummmm insidious. the funny part is in real life i am not afraid of ghosts, spirit, but somehow, that movie scared me.

9. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

In terms of literature the passage that scared me the most has always been from To Kill a Mockingbird:

"Shuffle Foot had not stopped with us this time. His trousers swished softly and steadily. Then they stopped. He was running, running towards us with no child's steps."

10. IsabellaS

IsabellaS Member

Why did I read all of this? Guess I won't be getting any sleep for the next week...

Personally, I've always been terrified of ghosts and other truly terrifying supernatural beings (things such as vampires and werewolves don't scare me). I'm not sure to what extent I actually believe in them, but considering how much they scare me I have to admit that I do believe.

Ever since I was a child, I've always had a wild imagination and I day dream constantly. Seriously, hardly a minute goes by without me day dreaming. So seeing things in my mind that aren't there is easy for me, I never lose my grip on reality though. But because of this I tend to work myself up in a state of panic by imagining things over and over again, especially when I'm alone and/or if it's dark/nighttime.

I've always had a thing with mirrors, which also ties into my imagination. One of my biggest fears is looking into a mirror and have someone (or something) stare back at me or someone be behind me. I used to have a round mirror from Ikea in my bedroom when I was in my early teens, and I could see it from my bed. One night, there was this clanking sound coming from the direction of it, it sounded like someone was behind it tapping on it with something hard. Obviously, I freaked out, and I went to get my mom. She came, didn't hear anything, and told me I was being silly. Soon enough, the sound started back up. After a while I was absolutely panicking, so she said could sleep in the bedroom next to mine for the night, but even there I could hear the sounds. Eventually, we figured out what it was though. It was a windy night, and on the wall where the mirror hand there used to be a sink, as there had been a little kitchen area on the other side of the wall before. To this day, there are still pipes in the walls, so we figured those were making the sounds. After that night, I put my bookcase at the end of my bed and hung on one side of it so I wouldn't have to look at the mirror and sometime after that I got rid of the mirror altogether. I have to say though, I haven't heard that sound since, nor have I heard it before for that matter.

Looking out the windows at night creeps me out, too. At least if I'm home alone.

And spiders. I HATE freaking spiders.

11. Alexander Tretheway

Alexander Tretheway Banned

Rap music scares the shit out of me.

Why?

Because it can be terribly relate-able, incredibly poetic and extremely real.

12. Oscar Leigh

And that's scary how? Sounds like your a huge fan, why are you scared?