1. Titan Of Kystolni

Titan Of Kystolni New Member

Inspiration meets copyrights

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Titan Of Kystolni, Jun 2, 2016.

At what point does something stop being inspired and become plaugerized? I have two perfect scenarios and lines, but as I was thinking about how to work them in I realized that both lines are extremely similar to two lines from George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series. What should I do? I want to avoid stealing from another author, but I really want to use what I thought of. Anyone have anything that can help me?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Two lines out of the entire Song of Ice and Fire series, that aren't even copied but are similar? Generally, I wouldn't worry much about that in terms of copyright. If there is a specific reason to be more worried about these particular lines, let us know.

3. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I agree with Steerpike, unless they were totally iconic lines. Like, if you picked "I'll be back" and "Hasta la vista, baby" from Terminator, then, copyright violation or not you're going to seem like you're copying. But I don't remember any of GRRM's individual lines being all that memorable, really....

4. Titan Of Kystolni

The lines I thought of are "I kill men like you every day, little man." "There are no men like me." (That's the one I thought of.) and the other is "go ahead, little man. Kill me. But you'll think of killing your brother every day for the rest of your life." "That didn't save Kain, and it won't save you." "I don't want it to save me, little brother. I want it to haunt you." And the two lines from George R.R. Martin are when Jaime tells catelyn "there are no men like me. Only me." And the exchange between Rickard Karstark and Robb Stark right before Robb executes him. A big reason of why I'm worried is that both of those lines from A Song Of Ice And Fire were both considered important enough to make it onto Game Of Thrones, so a lot of people know them

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

And I immediately thought that was plagiarized from Goldfinger..."I don't expect you to talk, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

And it's also illogical. Why would I give a damn, once I'm dead, about how upset you're going to be over killing me? I actually do give a damn about whether you kill me.

Mumble Bee likes this.
  6. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

[​IMG]

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Titan Of Kystolni

I wanted him to say that because he's been fucking with the MC's head since the day they met. He's beaten, and he knows it, and he knows that he won't be spared. But he's taking this one last chance to fuck with his head

8. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Contributing Member

I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones. I've read all the book and then reread them. I have watched all of the HBO episodes two times over. I work at a restaurant that hosts Game of Throne costumed dinner theaters. I will tell you write now that most people won't even get your references. The books are LONG. No one is going to care at all if you use a line or two from GOT.