1. *Katie

*Katie Member

Surrounded by corn and tractors over here in ohio.

Inspiration

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by *Katie, Jul 22, 2012.

It creeps upon you unexspected,
    It can never be detected.

When it comes, you will know.
    For through your pencil, it will show.

It's visits are rare, not everyday,
    Always short, it never stays.

By its side is fasination,
    This I call, Inspiration.
    ~
    Inspiration is what got me going. It's also what keeps me going. As mentioned in my poem above, it is quite rare. So I have learned to make it last. It's kind of like stretching your penny, but in this case, stretching your inspiration. I do this by taking what I wrote from my inspiration, and finding it's own inspiring qualities. For instance, when I wrote this peom above. I had a major case of writers block and needed inspiration. So I figured 'Hey, why dont I just write about it. That's what writers do right?' Then once that poem was finished it got me thinking about real cliche stuff. And those cliche thoughts ended up beign three more peoms. (Those peoms are a little cliche, but they're still okay.) And just like that, I was cured from a dreadful desease of writers block.

P.S. I used the word 'inspiration' way too much, but it's kinda my main topic. So oh well.
    P.P.S. The whole time while typing this my 'U' key has been being stubborn so I had to click it a billion times just to get it to work. I just thought I'd let ya know.

2. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

Good method. Sometimes you just need to voice what you need help with it to work.

3. Egor

Egor Member

I very much like you're poem! I think it's cute and pithy at the same time.

In the fifth line, make sure you take the apostrophe out of "It's."

I sure would like to read other poems you wrote. Do you have a website?

Ed

4. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

I like the poem as well. How do I stretch that stingy inspiration, or rather, how do I summon inspiration at will? My inspirations strike at weird moments, usually when I am super busy doing something else than writing. So, I write down everything that comes to mind (a word, a phrase, a whole paragraph, or even taking pictures on my phone) at such moments and later when I sit down to write in my 'writing time' I take out those napkins, notepads, pictures and summon my inspiration, and believe me they usually obey my command. Another way is to read words of praise of your work by people whose opinion you respect. The first ever short story I wrote was accepted for publications and the editor had some good words to offer in his acceptance email. I printed it and always read it whenever I have doubts about my writing abilities.

Great post, and good luck!

5. *Katie

*Katie Member

Surrounded by corn and tractors over here in ohio.
    Egor: Thanks :) And no, I don't have a website, I don't even know how to have a website. But I do have some other poetry. I'll post it sometime.

6. Morkonan

Morkonan Senior Member

And, now you know the source of my inspiration. It's your "u" key...

That's interesting. Why was it stuck? What made it react like that? Why didn't it react like it was supposed to? You pressed it, it's supposed to react a certain way. This time, it didn't. There's a story there. There's a story about expectations and about technology suddenly not cooperating. For some reason, something happens and technology is no longer predictable, no longer sure, no longer.. comfortable. What is it?

I take my inspiration from everything I experience, including the experiences of others. I want novel, interesting ideas I can work with and explore. When I read or experience something interesting, I try to write it down as quickly as possible as well as any thoughts I may have had that could go along with it. Then, I examine it for possibilities. Sometimes, it's a dead-end. More often than not, however, there's either something worth writing about or the act of examining it reveals something new that is worth writing about.

So, about this "u" key - How long have you had it? Have you known it for very long? Who introduced you? Where was it on the night of October 25'th, 2007 and has it ever revealed to you that it knew a man by the name of Colonel Mustard and that it was also familiar with candlesticks?