1. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Educational Burnout

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reggie, Mar 5, 2011.

If anyone goes to college or is in high school, have you ever been interested for once, felt good that you're in college, and became one of the most dedicated students in college/high school? You even got perfect attentdace? If this happen, do you ever get tired of college/high school because of the simiple fact that you're not learning anything, or making any personal progress (such as employment for attaining a degree, etc.)? Then, your grades begin to decline after you earned straight A's, maybe because you lose interest in staying in school.

If anyone ever get this experience, feel free to post your comments here.

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'm in my tenth year post-highschool, but then again, I love learning...

3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I love to learn too, but I guess the major I am in has lost my interest. I really didn't want to do Business Administration in the first place. Maybe something like Human Resources, and I would probably be willling to stay in class if they had the majors students really want to do.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

You're always learning something at school. I hated secondary/high school but not for the fact that I was studying what I didn't want to. I mostly did study what I wanted to, apart from science in particular because I was rubbish at it no matter how hard I tried. I was always hard working, good attendance and everything, bit of a goody-goody. I may have not liked certain aspects of school, but I just endured it because education is important.

You've been given a chance to learn and to be educated so I'd be grateful of that opportunity. You said you've lost interest in what you're studying, is there an option of changing to another subject/course? Maybe you've lost interest just because of what you're studying at the moment and maybe in a week or two when the topic's changed you'll like it again? You could just drop out, of course, but I personally wouldn't advise it, you might as well stick it out and then afterwards you can pursue what you think really interests you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

I got a BA in literature...but barely made it through the last year and a half due to complete burnout...was bored with the tutorials...wasn't learning anything...wasn't reading what i wanted to read...didn't see the point of continuing...etc etc...then i did....just made the decision to finish and subsequently to read onlt what i wanted or desperately needed to read from then on....

6. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Yeah. In Sweden your sort of expected to get sick of school and take a year or a few years off, either after high school or during collage to take some time of getting a low paying job, or go backpacking or something. With the general view that doing so will help you stay sane, give you some perspective and give you back your motivation.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm doing an English degree right now. I know about the burnout all too well. Take my current book and compare that to my modules for an example. I'm doing Modern Poetry, Romanticism and Modern Critical Theory, and I'm reading ... The Divine Comedy.

Also a lot of time, too much really, is spent living the university life-style of bars, pool-halls and clubs when I really should be studying. It's a curse.

8. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I'm kind of burning out on college right now, but not for the reason or in the way described. I'm starting to get brain fried because I haven't had more than a week off from school since last May (including Christmas holiday). Of course I'm trying to get an associate's degree in a year so that's bound to happen...

9. poptarts

poptarts New Member

lol

i'm finally graduating this june, thank GOD. i love learning, but i also want to start working and experiencing more to life than textbooks and exams.

10. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Yes, no, and not applicable, ha.

11. punk

punk Active Member

Hey, if you're feeling down about school, just sprinkle a little profit motive over your textbooks. Works perfectly every time.

Just kidding... don't do that. I'm pursuing a pretty boring field as well (economics/political science), but I'm doing so because I love to fix things and debate.

I read an essay in my English book (Borzoi College Reader, might be at your library) called Work in an Alienated Society by Erich Fromm in his book, The Sane Society. He compares the modern work habits to slavery, in that we've sacrificed our own desires to an employer with the motive of a paycheck.

Everybody in politics seems to have lost their love of the field... (insert examples of corruption here). I want to work with politics like it's an art, and the only way to do that is with a whole lotta love.

So... maybe apply art to Business Administration? Love makes the world go round after all

12. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

I know a lot of people who have seen elements of the situation you're describing (myself included.) No two lives are the same, but a lot of people lose interest in their field, their career, or their school. Ultimately this is an opportunity to ask yourself what is of fundamental importance to you, to do some soul-searching if you'll forgive the cliche. When you lose interest in something, it usually just means that you've gotten everything you need from it and it's time to move on. Where do you move on to? Well, what's your heart telling you?

"When no answer comes from within to the problems and complexities of life, they ultimately mean very little."
    -C. G. Jung

1 person likes this.
  13. bob smith

bob smith New Member

I couldn't agree more. The amount of choices I think the average middle-class westerner has to make in their lives with (major, school, work? ) is debilitating. I enlisted in the guard (which allows me to finish schoo), for it has a certain romanticism to me. The idea of getting swept away at the whims of the government and then just having to learn to deal with it has a strange sort of freedom to me.

I'm in my second year of College. I switched majors from History to Nursing, out of some sense that I'd be happier doing something "practical" and "fulfilling" by helping people.

I think I made a huge mistake.

I started my first semester well. I worked hard, I got good grades, though I never enjoyed a single medical anatomy class (though I sometimes enjoyed chemistry).

Now, second semester, I'm burned the hell out. Now I'm afraid I made a huge mistake of doing something practical when I should of done what I like: writing. I'm thinking about switching to an English major, and just read and do what I seem to have a little bit of aptitude for.

But what would happen if I burned out again? What if I'm stuck in my English major and second year start thinking: "I've made a huge mistake". Realize that I'm not gonna go anywhere just because I can write a good literary criticism paper. That I need to do something practical, something real. Then the viscous circle continues.

They say grass is always greener on the other side. I'm just too dumb to realize your not actually supposed to try and go over there.

14. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

The two subjects are related a little, I think. I even know a mathematician who went straight into HR.

I'd advise to stay with your subject. It gives you lots of options later on.

If you're feeling bored/stressed out, why don't you try and broaden your horizons outside of school? Join a club, do sports, join ROTC, join the local firebrigade, do volunteer work at a nursing home? I have no idea what options are available... just go exploring.