1. Scott Berman

Scott Berman New Member

Writing with a Tablet

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Scott Berman, Aug 16, 2012.

I recently moved to another country and have found myself computer-less. All I have is a tablet and no internet. (This is posted from a phone) I tried doing the pen and paper thing. but I really wasn't into it, perhaps due to my using loose pape and not a notebook. Id like to write using my tablet, but i was wondering if anyone has some tips on.using them for writing.

Please excuse my typos but my phone sucks.

2. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

Don't do it. If you can get a netbook. They are small laptops that you can get for like $100. Usually you will need an external CD drive to install software.

The big problem with tablets is their OS. It isn't really designed for the kind of editing one needs to do with writing. To top it off, the writing programs usually have features that suck. I've tried it in the past and I always find limitations that turn me off doing it.

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

What? No computer? Where did you move to, a third-world nation?

4. CH878

CH878 Active Member

What tablet is it? What operating system?

Of course you can use a tablet for writing, but you'll need an app, which means you'll need internet, unfortunately.

Is there any inbuilt note making feature? If so you could write it on that, then copy the text into an email when you get an internet connection. You'll still probably need to get the finished thing onto a computer at some point to print and submit.

5. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I don't have a computer so I use a tablet, with a writing app (I don't think we can mention specific apps on this forum). I find writing notes and scripts on it to be fine, but I've written one short story on it and it was pretty slow going and harsh on the fingers. Do you have any shops locally where you can buy one of those blutooth keyboards for use with tablets?

6. Rohit

Rohit New Member

Better buy a lap top ...

7. Scott Berman

Scott Berman New Member

Oy I have the kindle fire, so i cant add peripherals like a keyboard, looks like I might be investing in a nice notebook and pen. Writing this post was hard enough.

The country isn't third world, but I'm too poor and couldn't take my family's computer with me. (Also the proper term is apparrently predeveloped not third world)

8. bskelhorn

bskelhorn New Member

The Fire will be a little hard to work with over a long period of time, as others have said, a wireless keyboard is probably the best option.