Intelligence

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I agree.
    Intelligence is something triggered on the spot depending on what the mind sees as a point of interest or curiosity.
    The most we are interested in something the more intelligence we get to develop a given interest.
    I believe that the more we take in creative and social interests and the more intelligence we gather.
    I am sure that intelligence is just a component of cells waiting to inhale in energy and oxygen and the more we trigger it the healthier our drive is.

2. cari_za

cari_za New Member

That sounds like something I would say! :D Brilliant.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

better would be to ask yourself, "Would ONLY an idiot do that?" ;)

can anyone translate that for me?

4. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I always think intelligence is the ability to absorb information effortlessly and it sticks; and it's always a sign of an intelligent person if they can put their own unique, reasoned, spin on complicated things. Because if a person can only just mimic what they read and then regurgitate it to others they're more like a Parrot than anything else.

5. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

i think intelligence is subjective, and more about aplication

let me put it this way, you have a harverd proffessor, a eskimo, a budoin

you take any of them and put them in the others enviroment the other two whould seem stupid

the proffesor and the eskimo whould be clueless in the arabian dessert with the budoin, who whould see them as stupid
    same throwing them in the artic, the eskimo whould be the intelligent one not the other two.

or to cut it the other way, i think my job is very straitforward and easie. i am shore alot of people feel ther same way. yet their are other people that are very intelligent other ways that can not do the job. does that fact make them un intelligent overall or just in that way.

disclosure: the only intelligence test i ever took was the ASVAB.

6. States of Inception

States of Inception New Member

There is a line between being smart and being intelligent. A person can pass straight A grades in Art theory, but to produce an art piece, what he has learned will not benefit him in a practical environment entirely. Likewise, a person creating masterpieces may likely may not be aware of art history. I believe that knowledge is something practical where as being smart about information is simply knowing how something is or was.

7. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

I would just consider that being "experienced" not intelligent, perhaps if they learnt how to survive in the desert quickly, found a new way to survive in the desert quickly, found a way to escape the desert or came to the conclusion that they can't escape the desert because there's a desert inside of all of us then I'd consider them rather brainy.

8. Alex W

Alex W New Member

You cannot measure intelligence, not without dozens of tests in different things.

Some intelligent people are very stupid but know alot from books, some people you might say aren't the cleverest academically have made some of the most perceptive comments/suggestions i've known in my lifetime.

Intelligence is a varied thing. Stupidity however, is easy to spot.

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I'm curious about IQ tests. Are they accurate at all? Because I hear the average IQ is about 100, then on one supposedly proper test I score 142, which I thought was awfully high. Less than a month later, on another supposedly proper tests I scored 111, which I thought was kind of low to be honest... at least compared to my previous test score.

I have always considered myself quite intelligent though. My problem is that I’m really lazy if I’m not interested in learning whatever people are trying to teach me, but even then I usually do well. In science for instance, I absolutely hated it and spent every single class just sitting in the back, pretending to take notes while I was actually writing or drawing stupid comics and volcanoes. I never read anything until like two days before the test. Still got an A. It was actually like that for most of my obligatory classes…

It’s been a problem for me too though. When I was in middle school I never read anything at all and still got good grades, so when I went to high school and actually had to pick up my books, my grades really dropped during the first six months. I actually had to learn how to study.

Then there are people like my cousin. I have never considered her stupid in any way, but she doesn’t learn that easily so she has always studied hard to get good grades and taken lots of notes in every class. Even after doing so much work, she could get a really bad grade, mainly because she didn’t understand the questions I think.

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm well aware that there is more than one kind of intelligence. I said earlier in this thread that I scored higher than my friend on an IQ test he recommended, but he and I have very different ways of thinking. He's an engineer, and a much better one than I am. He thinks very logically and in a straight line, so to speak. He's one of these guys you sometimes meet who can look at a machine that is malfunctioning and just know, almost immediately, what's wrong with it. Even if he's never seen the machine before. He just knows how things are supposed to work, and sees instantly what's wrong with them. As a troubleshooter, he's a genius. I can't hope to match him in that field.

On the other hand, I have amassed an enormous amount of trivia in my head because of my constant reading, and the fact that my mind is like fly paper for names, dates, numbers, and irrelevant details. It turns out that I'm very good at quickly making connections between entirely unrelated pieces of information in my head. I form complex webs of data in my mind and quickly arrive at conclusions based on them. Sometimes people ask me a question and I can pop out the correct answer very quickly, and my friend asks, "How did you know that?" Well, I didn't. I made connections between a bunch of things I did know, and made a very educated guess. I'm usually right. I used to play those electronic trivia games they had in bars and pubs and I would regularly place in the top five on the North American continent.

So there are various ways of thinking and various kinds of intelligence. I don't think any one test can measure all of them properly. But you can usually tell who's got brains in their skull by just talking with them.

11. minstrel

Duplicate post.

12. arron89

arron89 Banned

IQ is an index, so 100 is always the average IQ of a given population. For that reason, an IQ score can change drastically over time, or the same number can mean different things at different times, independent of any actual changes in a person's intelligence. The skills IQ tests measure are also different to what many people would consider intelligent--you'll notice there are no questions that test knowledge as such, only reasoning skills: spatial reasoning, literacy, logic, etc. While you can technically study for an IQ test, I'm doubtful that an average person could do much to improve, say, their spatial logic skills. It seems to be quite predetermined, in the same way (by analogy) that computer science/programming divides a given population quite neatly in half according to those who are effortlessly able to adapt to thinking in terms of code, and those who are less capable of that adaptation; grades for such courses generally tend to have two peaks at the high A grades and low C/D grades, rather than the usual normal distribution you would expect in most classes.

13. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

i am addressing more the aperance of intelligence then it itself, but that is a really good point.

see thats the strange rube (minor rant comeing becuse i had a GF like this). some "inteligent" people fail miserably when outside of their particuler feild. witch brings us to the point of whats the use of your intelligence ( my perspective) if you can not even change a tire, navigate your way in a city, or adapt to a situation in general?

14. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

I think most people fail outside of their paticular field, a worker at KFC might be lost if you put him in Mc Donalds, but an intelligent personal should (typically) adapt quicker, like if you put an english speaker in a country that speaks entirely Spanish, certain people will pick up the language quicker and thus be considered intelligent, or someone might fix something in the country, which would also be considered intelligent, or make alot of money in that country, which people would consider pretty smart...

15. anniemule

anniemule New Member

i have a mule that i deal with on a regular basis. mules are known for their intelligence, but i didn't really know what that meant.

i have a horse i have riden for years and thought he was the smartest thing ever (mainly he' so darn cute) until i encountered the intelligence of the mule. OMG! she is smarter than most people i know.

if self awareness is the key, she has it. she is ALWAYS aware of everything going on around her and is prepared to take appropriate action. she is an excellent problem solver and never, ever hurts herself. she is built for survival and her intelligence is her means.

my cute horse now seems retarded in comparison. he survives on his cuteness. the mule survives by her will and her wit. she has my number.

i think intelligence has to do with how you live your life; how you take care of yourself; how you survive.

Man has "superior intelligence" (or greater brain capasity)... to help him survive.
    if he doesn't use it...is that Free Will?

the ability to live live intelligently shows/demonstrates intelligence....so is that it?

anniemule

16. anniemule

anniemule New Member

i don't get the measuring of IQ's...what could that possibly mean? its only a possiblility at best. he who makes the best of what one has, plays the cards he was dealt well...has the greatest possibility of surviving...and thats what intelligence was "meant" for.

the real measure is how one lives ones life...how one adapts to the situation they are in...intelligence is the means to that end...
    it seems to me,
    anniemule

17. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Man has intelligence full stop. I cannot call it superior because I need to compare with similar intelligence in order tocall it anything.And since it is only us humans on earth (obviously apart from fauna and flora) then it can only be intelligence.
    I am not so sure about that because whatever you do or decide will be somehow related to intelligence.
    Free will is a force statement. By chosing to ingnore what is around you Is still ' a choice you took;
    so long as you have a mind you are not free will.
    I do not believe free will exist because the environment is much bigger then us.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

one thing to keep in mind when discussing IQ is that the standard binet IQ test that is given in the US has undergone changes over the years... back when i took it in the early 50s, the highest score was 160, so my score of 144 was within the genius range, whereas with today's top number being 100, someone with that numerical score would only be in the 'moderately gifted' area...

19. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

I think that intelligence is innate to a large degree, but it can also be improved, refined, and trained. I think that it is a shame that so many people do not make full use of their talents and capabilities in general. It can make a big difference if you just push yourself harder in anything you do, and I believe to some extent that includes your intelligence. So more reading, more math, strategic games and a few crossword puzzles on the side can really do wonders for you in the intellectual department.

I notice that a number of people have posted their high IQ scores, without anyone asking them to. Lol. It has been a while since I was last tested for my IQ. It was pretty high too, but no need to brag lol.

20. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

Well, I chose being smart over being intelligent, but then, I've always been clever... ;)

21. 281

281 Active Member

I think that might be the best definition of intelligence so far....

One of the most brilliant people I've met was a sea urchin diver. Straight out of university, he took a high paying engineering job and left after one week. Then he moved to the ocean and dived for sea urchins, doing complex math for fun in his spare time.

He had the intelligence to put his happiness above money. Maybe what you believe and the way you live your life are the signs of intelligence....

22. minstrel

But this isn't intelligence. This is closer to a definition of wisdom, which is not the same thing.

There are highly-intelligent people in the world who are miserable, because they are either trapped in a life they don't want (bad marriages, heavy financial obligations, etc.), or have not gained the wisdom to know what will make them happy. But that doesn't mean they don't have highly capable minds.

23. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I would say that the ability to manage yourself happy is partly because the intelligence you are energising is the right one.
    clever and happy does not always go hand in hand.
    Happy and intelligent, if you know how to trigger the latter to make it for your inner pleasure, is a harmonial combination.

24. LaGs

LaGs Banned

You should notice that intelligence is a channel for the ego...Intelligence and arrogance are so closely interlinked that the devil masturbates at the very thought of a vain individual....St Paul once said "Knowledge inflates with pride" and nearly 2000 years later it's as true as ever

25. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I wouldn't generalise..boosting about it yes but being arrogant is another.
    I have yet to me someone intelligent and arrogant at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.