1. Raven

Raven Banned

Tagging suggested for elderly

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 19, 2007.

Electronic tags should be used to keep tabs on the elderly, a Government minister has suggested.

(Advertisement)
    Science minister Malcolm Wicks said devices normally used to track criminals could help families keep an eye on older relatives.

Mr Wicks said many families worried about elderly relatives or "what's happening about an 80 or 90-year-old who may have Alzheimer's", and using the technology could let them know their loved one was safe.

"Satellites currently monitor the planet in a variety of different ways," he said.

"I'm raising this as an issue for discussion. Are there other uses of technology that could benefit society?

"We've got an ageing population with many people frail and many suffering from dementia, including Alzheimer's."

He continued: "How can we get the balance right so that these people have the freedom to live their lives, to go out in the community and go shopping?"

Similar technology is used to "tag" and keep track of convicted criminals who have been released from prison.

2. daisydaisy

daisydaisy New Member

I think it's a ridiculous idea. People with alzheimers get scared and confused when they're out in a strange place alone, having an electronic tag isn't going to change that. Isn't this just a way of getting out of paying for carers to look after them? Waste of time and money.

3. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Knowing where somebody is doesn't ensure that they're safe anyway....

4. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

You mean like dogs? How horrendous.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

Big Brother is alive and well and still living in the uk...

6. coral reef

coral reef Banned

hmm, so our elderly are dogs now, wow the government truly needs to call a meeting, all get themselves in a circle, all bend their knees

and on the count of three...

one.............

two.........

three....

PULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and hey presto!

their heads all pop back out of their arses...

7. Sayso

Sayso New Member

It's just the government trying to pull another rabbit out of the hat(or their asses) and trying to show us they care. They've run out of sensible ideas like improving the health service or building more prisons for those who should be locked up instead of being sent on their ways like the good little people they are. (oh dear, I am in a bad mood today!)

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Just another way of the government avoiding responsibility and waisting tax payers money.

If they actually spent some time int he real world instead of their fantasy world, maybe they would have half an idea on what would be best for everyone.

We aren't dogs, we aren't robots, we are humans. It is about time they started treating us like that.

9. Sayso

Sayso New Member

It's also now silly season where all government budgets have too much money in them and they have to come up with these crazy ideas to use up the money in those purses or else they lose it next year (I know because I used to work for the government). I wish someone would have the sense to say there is one big purse of money and lets put it where it's needed instead of wasting it on frivolous things.

Yesterday they wasted some of that money painting unnecessary white lines outside on our road. The thing is they've now made our road illegal to use by doing so. I live in a dead end street with only enough room to park a car on the side and to drive. It is illegal to park with your headlights facing the flow of traffic and it is illegal to reverse your car onto a main road. By putting white lines in they have made ours a minor road. So, we cannot reverse into our road because of the legalities of parking and we cannot reverse out of it (there is no room to turn). The stupidity of having too much money at the end of the year in the wrong budget.

I'm sorry to grumble but it really gets my goat up! I think I'd better sign off for the day.:mad:

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

The government will always find some stupid way of wasting money that they don't want to spend on sensible things.

Where I live we had an ok hospital, now it is a one stop bandaide shop, a nursing station so they call it...you can't have your baby there you have to go out of town unless you leave it to the last minute.

Otherwise you have to drive to the next town to have your baby and when in labour, it ain't comfortable....believe me....

So instead of giving us another doctor, they give us speed humps and an island down the middle of our main raid and make it a damn nightmare for everyone.
    Or they add yet another park that is not needed when they could just jazz the old ones up.

The government don't care that is all there is to it.

~Torana

(I think I will sign out too, my mood is only getting worse aswell....)