1. Earth001

Earth001 New Member

I am looking for some fantasy novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Earth001, Nov 17, 2011.

As it says in the tin. I have been reading some of the basic fantasy novels and all of them seem to have the same medieval European style setting with the cliche elves, dwarves, men. and orcs and lately I am kind of bored of the same fantasy setting. I would like to read something that is good and new and it is not over the top with magic (like throwing fireballs at random). I have been reading the Riftwar saga and I have found it to be a interesting new take on fantasy and I actually enjoyed that novel. So I have been thinking of several book idea that I would like to request to read.
    1. It must not be set in a medieval Europe fantasy world.
    2. I would prefer it to be set in a Asian style fantasy world or world of other culture other than that.
    3. I would like it to involve some magic that is not too... well over the top.
    4. It must not be set in a alternate setting (like it involves magic and other magical creatures and set in a alternate Japan.)
    5. If it is set in a medieval like setting I would want the story to involve something like Japanese like Samurai vs Knights in shining Armour (I don't know.. I guess the Riftwar saga must have done something to me being interested in things like that)
    here are the fantasy books that I have read
    1. LOTR
    2. Chronicles of Narnia
    3. Riftwar Saga
    4. Eragon Series
    That is all of the list I know for now but I have read more fantasy books other than that I just have not thought of the list that much.

2. Devrokon

Devrokon New Member

I'd say the beginning of the Dark Elf trilogy by R.A Salvatore.

Here are the names of the three books: Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Hard to get more cliched and over-the-top in terms of setting than Forgotten Realms, and it has all of the standard characteristics (elves, dwarves, orcs, &c.) that you don't want, so I'm not sure the recommendation above fits what you are after.

You could try Under Heaven, by Guy Gavriel Kay. Not sure if that qualifies as an 'alternate setting.'

Crystal Rain, by Tobias Buckell is pretty good. Sort of a Caribbean/Yucatan theme to that one.

Steven Erikson's Malazan books cross a wide range of cultural influences, some that resemble europe, some the middle-east, some tribal and almost prehistoric, and some that don't quite fit anywhere.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos Series, a fast-paced series with a lot of twists and turns. Some magic, but it's not the main focus of the storylines.

Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (on the scale of Tolkein, but nothing like it).

5. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Dune

6. shangrila

shangrila New Member

The Malazan series should be read, no matter what. It's that good.

Apart from that you might consider the Dark Tower series. It's not an Asian culture but it fills most of your other criteria. Though I would probably only read the first 3 books. The 4th is all right, but the last 3 suck HARD.

7. Ixloriana

Ixloriana New Member

This! This! Thi-- okay, I'll stop fangirling. Snarky assassin with an even snarkier sidekick. It can be kind of tough to figure out which one of these to read first. I started with Jhereg, but in retrospect, I should've started with Taltos -- that's the first, chronologically.

The Night Angel trilogy (starting with The Way of Shadows) by Brent Weeks is awesome. Not an elf in sight in this one. Not set in an Asian-style fantasy world, but has a lot of Asian influence. Two Asianish cultures (the Ceurans and the Sethi) are a big part of the series, especially in the second and third books.

8. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

Agreed, and the Icewind Dale trilogy is good also. Any of the Drizzt books past those aren't very good.

9. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

Actually, I forgot to mention this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Wish_(book)

A damn good book in my opinion. It's a pretty fresh spin on the fantasy genre. It's just a shame that the rest of Sapkowski's books haven't been translated into English yet.

10. Steerpike

Yes.

11. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I looked that book up, it catches my interest.. i want to read it now lol

12. Steerpike

Which one? If it is Malazan, that's a ten book series starting with Gardens of the Moon (and a couple novels by co-creator Ian Esselmont are also good) :D

13. LVOS18

LVOS18 New Member

The Best Fantasy Novel or Series You Have Read?

I only recently returned to the realm of the fantasy genre by re-reading my old favourite The Hobbit. I want to do a bit more exploration of this genre and so ask of you what are your favourite fantasy novels (and why) so that we can share and learn from each other's experiences.

There are two things that I most love about The Hobbit:
    -the perfect pacing of the writing as it walks the line between action-adventure, comedy, recovery, and character development.
    -the light touch Tolkien uses to paint out his world; so many writers are heavyhanded and vain in the creation and communication of their fantasy world, but Tolkien creates a rich world that is not complex, it has enough immerse the reader in without straying in to the overkill and saturation that many egotistical writers fall prey to. Furthermore, he creates this world very lightly and subtly, so that it feels like you are learning his world through the story rather than being told at length of the world and then of a story within it.

14. retro_guy84

retro_guy84 New Member

I'm probably going to sound unoriginal or a fan boy. But for me the best fantasy series i've read so far is A song of fire and ice. by George R.R Martin. i have my reasons. but i don't want to spoil it if you haven't read it. but the shocks are one of the things i like in his story. as well as the fact i feel like am being dropped into a busy world and being told to explore . it is a well woven story, on a very rich and bloody tapestry.

15. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

16. Protar

Protar Active Member

Absolutely agree. Can't get enough of it. And while there is some European fantasy stuff in it, there's also a lot of more exotic stuff, with sort of middle-eastern and Asian vibes going on. Plus the magic is very well done and subtle, and there aren't any Dwarves or Elves.

17. Afion

Afion New Member

I recomend the Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddel. It is an amazing series, set in a completely original fantasy world. Read it! :)

18. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Faraway Tree takes some beating for me lol

I love Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearne
    Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

19. lorilee

lorilee New Member

The Golden Key by Melanie Rawn, Kate Elliot and Jennifer Roberson. I second the recommendation for Guy Gavriel Kay. The Fionavar Tapestry is a wonderful retelling of myths and his other novels are fantasy retellings of European history.

20. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Have you read the Harry Potter series? It might sound like an idiotic question, but you hadn't mentioned it, and some people watched the movies without reading the books or never got into it, so there's no way of knowing. Also, His Dark Materials is really good, and a different type of fantasy than the European/elves stuff.

21. BlizzardHarlequin

BlizzardHarlequin New Member

Not sure of Japanese setting books, but the Charlie Bone series has always been a favourite of mine. Think of it as like a more modern Harry Potter with less magic.

There's over 8 books aswell.

22. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

When it comes to Asian fantasy fiction, there's nothing like Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori. The books are really engrossing, and it is apparent that the author did her study of Feudal Japan well. The novels, however, are situated in a fictional Japanese-like land. The original trilogy consists of Across the Nightingale Floor, Grass for His Pillow and The Brilliance of the Moon.

23. Velox

Velox Member

The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher would be highly recommended. Set in modern-day Chicago.

24. Shpob

Shpob New Member

Not sure it fits your criteria perfectly, but I thought The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson was an excellent epic fantasy novel with a superb magic system and world. It's the first in what will be 10 (!) novels in the series, so there'll be plenty more to come in the next decade or so.

25. cerb123

cerb123 New Member

Sabriel would be good. It is definitely not Medieval but definitely not Japanese either. It's by Garth Nix.