1. SirSamkin

SirSamkin Member

Interesting Motivation

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by SirSamkin, Feb 14, 2010.

Hey guys, just thought I'd share this interesting little tidbit--

I've been a bit lazy in my writing lately, and have been going very slow. I'm on here a lot, and love reading the threads and stuff, so I made myself a deal: everytime I want to click a link or post a message, I make myself type 100 words first. I don't know if it'll work for other people, but it helps me!:D

2. InkDream

InkDream Senior Member

You obviously have more self control that I do. :D

3. SilverRam

SilverRam Member

Personally I prefer the cookie method.

Anyway, sometimes you have a block that's jamming the works. When this happens it's best to spend some time with the family and do something fun.

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

For me, it's Good'n Plenty candies, one per paragraph. CRAP! That explains all the one-sentence paragraphs lately. Hmmmm...gotta re-think this reward system.

5. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost Contributing Member

Oh man Good 'n' Plenty's are so good.... I would have a hard time not just eating handfuls of them and not working at all.

6. LastTrainHome

LastTrainHome Member

Considering I only write for fun, I only write when I feel like writing :D. I don't want to loose my love of writing by forcing myself to write - it'd become a chore if I did that. However, I do have a 'motivational writing music' playlist on my ipod :p :) That tends to work when I want to write but I dont know where to start.

7. SirSamkin

SirSamkin Member

I love writing, and to me, it's the greatest thing in the world. But checks from publishers are also fun, and If I ever want to have one of those, I need to finish this manuscript. :D

8. kamran

kamran Banned

I am also a lazy writer but your tip is not working on my side.
    do you have any other tip which can be more useful then your suggested tip.

9. cboatsman

cboatsman Senior Member

This is kind of a harsh reality, but if you want to write you just have to force yourself.

Heres a good quote from an article on quitting your day job by one of my favorite authors Holly Lisle.

Bottom line? Write. You're tired? Write. You don't feel motivated? Write. You're having trouble how to start your new chapter? Too bad, write. You can revise it later.

If you just write for fun then why care if you have motivation or not? If you aren't motivated then don't write. It's not your job. If you want to ever get to the "The End" especially in larger works, however, then there is no secret method other than to sit down and start typing.

This has always been my "solution" since the start.

This obviously will not work for everyone but like I said it's the harsh reality all writers will eventually face if they ever intend to finish their work.

Caleb

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

I can hear it now...my agent calls, "Dean, that manuscript on the war story was due last week. What's going on?"

"Sorry Berta, my local store was out of Good & Plenties. I'll have it finished this week...I bought a bag of Rolos."

11. Atari

Atari Active Member

Rolos. I should try this method! :D

12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

I have invented a clever device called Electro Moti-writer 2000. It's basically a battery that charges from static electricity as feelers are connected to my skin. Whenever I move around, the battery charges. Once it reaches a predetermined level of power, the battery is discharged in an instant through electrodes attached to my skull. This hurts like hell. Now, the device also has wires connected to my fingers, and my computer's keyboard is grounded. So whenever I type, the battery is slowly discharged through my keyboard. As you have probably predicted, as long as I sit still and keep typing, the battery level will remain just low enough for me to avoid getting zapped.

Patent pending.

13. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Maybe I'm weird, but just seeing the words on the page is reward enough for me.

One guy in my writing group, though, pays himself to write. He puts a nickel per word in a jar. At the end of the week, half of what's in the jar goes into his savings account and the rest he takes to the local used bookstore. It works for him.